Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does coffee count?

ANSWERED

Can you count coffee as water in logging fluid ounces taken in?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I always wondered that too - this is the answer I got when I did WeightWatchers.

Caffeine and fluid balance 

Studies have shown that among people who have not been exposed to caffeine for a period of days or weeks, drinking a large amount of caffeine-containing beverages in a short period of time (e.g., 2-3 cups of coffee or 5-8 cups of tea) results in an increased urine output.

However, this does not happen to people who routinely drink caffeinated beverages. They develop a tolerance for caffeine and have a consistent urine output whether or not the fluids they are taking in contain caffeine or not.

Even among those who do not routinely drink caffeinated beverages, there is no diuretic effect when caffeine-containing beverages are consumed in normal serving sizes.

Therefore, the available evidence indicates that caffeine-containing beverages are no less hydrating than other fluids and CAN count toward fluid fluid recommendations.*

*Maughan RJ, Griffin J. Caffeine ingestion and fluid balance: a review. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics. 2003;16 (6): 411 – 420.

Water vs.Fluid: What Counts & What Does Not

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

Many of us do count coffee, tea, juice, milk, whatever liquid we consume. If you're keeping track of calories, be sure to count the creamer and sugar.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

I always wondered that too - this is the answer I got when I did WeightWatchers.

Caffeine and fluid balance 

Studies have shown that among people who have not been exposed to caffeine for a period of days or weeks, drinking a large amount of caffeine-containing beverages in a short period of time (e.g., 2-3 cups of coffee or 5-8 cups of tea) results in an increased urine output.

However, this does not happen to people who routinely drink caffeinated beverages. They develop a tolerance for caffeine and have a consistent urine output whether or not the fluids they are taking in contain caffeine or not.

Even among those who do not routinely drink caffeinated beverages, there is no diuretic effect when caffeine-containing beverages are consumed in normal serving sizes.

Therefore, the available evidence indicates that caffeine-containing beverages are no less hydrating than other fluids and CAN count toward fluid fluid recommendations.*

*Maughan RJ, Griffin J. Caffeine ingestion and fluid balance: a review. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics. 2003;16 (6): 411 – 420.

Water vs.Fluid: What Counts & What Does Not

Best Answer

SpikedHolly, thanks for sharing that!

Best Answer

Thanks to all who respnded.  Makes sense.

Best Answer

I am uncomfortable counting coffee towards the 64 oz water reqirement.  Suppose we 

drink 64 oz of coffee and call that the water requirement. Would this sufice? How about green tea w/o sugar? How about diet coke?  Where do we draw the line? 

Confused. 

Best Answer

@vivace  I count everything I drink from tea, milk, coffee or soda - but if I log calories, I make sure to include them. Some of us count everything and some only count water. It's all up to you and what helps you to increase your water intake.

Welcome to the forums.

Best Answer
I don't count coffee or tea as part of my fluid intake. Both of them dehydrate you and isn't the point of water to hydrate you??
Best Answer

I agree with your view and do pretty much the same thing. For me 72 Oz goal is pure water and anything else I dont count. Reaching this goal is not difficult given you dont survive on cafenated and carbonated drinks which is anyways bad for health. 

I think there is a reason it is called log Water and not log fluid. We change the meaning as it suits us .

Best Answer

I agree with @Tarangz Water is water. Even carbonated water is not as good for you as plain natural water. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer