Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dry cottage cheese -ideas to make it more tasty

ANSWERED

Cottage cheese is a great way to increase your protein intake.

I like regular cottage cheese but am trying dry curd to increase my daily protein intake... and save those carbs for something else ☺️

I’m not vegetarian😀 and have no dislikes of tastes of any foods.

I know about smoothies😀

Any ideas welcome, thx

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

jsr184, quark it is🤣...and all these years I’ve been using the creamy kind cottage cheese to make perogy as that was how my dad did it,🤣

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
11 REPLIES 11

I wonder whether there are differences between countries / continents regarding what is called what. I’m also a big fan of cottage cheese. Over here (Finland), variants of cottage cheese mostly differ based on the fat content. I eat the low-fat variant (0.2%). Macros and calories per 100 g are as follows: 68 kcal (288 kJ), P 14.8 g, C 1.7 g, F 0.2 g. Would that qualify as "dry curd" in your books?  

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Dominique, (at least in Canada) you can purchase cottage cheese dry(no liquid) in the dairy case

Macros are per 100 grams

80 calories 

Pro-17.6

Carb-1.7

Fat- .4 grams

Yours is very similar...

my usual 1% with liquid was per 100 grams

100 calories

Pro- 15

Carb- 7

Fat- 1.5

I could eat another tomato (example) if I changed permantly but as the curd is dry it doesn’t go down smooth, haha

we do have a FatFree brand comparable protein is still 7.5 grams carb so if I want more carb “allowance” for other nutrition I thought I could dry curd.

Today I tried mashing a banana on top with a bit of cinnamon and that was tasty...I will take this to work as a snack I think.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Probably best thing you can do using cottage cheese is ukrainian dish that is similar to pudding. Take 250-300 grams of CC and add one egg, 10-15 raisins, 2 teaspoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of flour. Mix it and bake during 45 minutes at 200-220 C. When it will be done let is cool down a bit. Actually many people like to eat it in completely cold state.

Best Answer

Thx ukrainian, all ingredients that I like...I will try it😀 A high protein treat sounds rewarding.

My app Loseit allows you to make recipes and the numbers transfer/sync to my Fitbit dashboard and Fitbit app. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have never heard of it either. When I googled it it said it was difficult to find.

I love Cottage cheese and eat some daily. I always add some kind of fruit

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I eat cottage cheese almost daily. Never heard of dry cottage cheese though and the closest what I can think of is Polish "twaróg" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(dairy_product) ). In the English language it's very often translated as "quark" but from my experience, the "twaróg" is nothing like the quark which I can buy in the UK. "Twaróg" is more like pressed dry cottage cheese sold as white blocks ( like feta cheese ). In the UK I can find it only either in Polish stores or in the supermarkets which sell Polish products but otherwise, it's almost unknown here. If I'm correct about what the dry cottage cheese may be then there are a few interesting things you can do with it:

- salads, it can easily replace feta cheese, you can add greek yoghurt to improve creaminess. Comparing to the feta cheese, it's not so salty in flavour.

- cheesecake - it's perfect for cheesecakes. Real Polish cheesecake is not made of soft cheese but with "twaróg". If dry cottage cheese is what I think it is, it would be perfect.

- sweet fillings for crepes and dumplings ( again, Polish "pierogi z serem" ). The cottage cheese ( regular and dry ) is very tasty with sweet additions like fruits ( I love it with pineapple ) or simply sweetened with a pinch of sugar or sweetener of your choice. I like making crepes with sweetened cottage cheese, folded in triangles and served with greek yoghurt.

- it fits any dish that can be made with feta cheese. Feta and spinach tart? Replace feta with dry cottage cheese. It can be used for savoury fillings, too. For example, oven-baked sweet potatoes with cottage cheese based filling.

- spread for bread. Add a little bit of milk, salt and pepper and optionally, finely chopped onion or chives.

- a simple dip made of avocado and dry cottage cheese is nice, too. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with lemon juice.

Best Answer

WendyB, thx ...I also love cottage cheese with fruit 😀

Best Answer
0 Votes

jsr184, lots of great ideas to try!

Yes, it is dry, more than feta cheese😆

Thank you...I am trying my best not to drink as many “protein shakes” and these ideas sound delicious 😋 

Best Answer
0 Votes

jsr184, quark it is🤣...and all these years I’ve been using the creamy kind cottage cheese to make perogy as that was how my dad did it,🤣

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I know you marked this solved, but this Chowhound thread is fantastic. I like mine in the summer with cucumbers and cayenne pepper, and I got the idea from this linked thread. 

https://www.chowhound.com/post/eat-cottage-cheese-336491

Best Answer

RaeD

Fabulous...lots of great ideas to try! I’ll keep that link.

Thanks very much!

😀😋

Best Answer
0 Votes