Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fasting

ANSWERED

Hi.

I am planning to " fast " from today evening until monday morning. 

Which means, I am planning to drink water only.

What do you guys say about it? Is it risky or dangerous somehow ?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Lol..nope 🙂

Smoking, drinking, driving in traffic, golfing in cloudy weather etc etc are all more likely to kill you than eating nothing but miso soup for a few days. You were designed to survive without food for a few days...enjoy!

Warner Baxter won Best Actor 1930 for "In Old Arizona"

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

Just listen to your body when needing to break the fast (feeling weak, strong desire for food, or something feels not right)..

Everyone's precious body contain reserves of body fat even when being lean having plenty to be able to survive a possible period of famine, those days foods are unlimited, though in the time of hunter - gatherer, our ancestors needed to survive on the food they had from the hunts, enduring periods when finding little, or did had nothing at all for a unknown period.. & there be periods when there be plenty of foods (and feasts)..

When truly hungry, the body is very complex & send on a food hunt cause wanting to survive and any food in sight will do to nourish 'till having enough.

Try listening to your body if tries telling needing to break the fast & needing more nourishment (increased appetite / hunger signals..), wanting to fast more but unable to (the force to eat can be stronger and the body wins from willpower not to eat)..

When exercising, always have something to eat, just in case..

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Nomad92 wrote:

Hi.

I am planning to " fast " from today evening until monday morning. 

Which means, I am planning to drink water only.

What do you guys say about it? Is it risky or dangerous somehow ?

It's not 'risky or dangerous' unless your body fat is already under 4%...if it is over 4% you have lots of calories in the bank.

Warning though...it can be difficult if you haven't already reduced carbs significantly. If your body is carb-driven (eg >200g carbs/day),  you will feel very hungry by 6 hours ...this will pass. THEN, as your body starts to burn fat directly (the first 16-24 hours burn your stored glycogen), you will feel lousy (ie usually day 2...you might need some salt with your water to prevent dehydration..headaches..'flu'...). Day 3 and beyond is when it's energetic and refreshing.

If you feel terrible at any point, just eat. If you really want to try the Intermittent fast thing, I strongly suggest going strict lo-carb (<20g per day) FIRST for a few days...this allows the unpleasant metabolic stuff to happen while you are still eating something, and then the fast period is easy..really easy. I do 24h IF randomly while low carb and feel great.

Hope this helps.  Rob

Best Answer

Well, my personal idea was to eat 3 miso soups only. It literally consists of liquid only and some sea-weed. That's it.

Best Answer

The 'salt water' from the soup will definitely help, but you might still experience 'yuck' during your first carb-free period (when was the last time you or most people went without eating for a day? 🙂 ).

Enjoy the experience, you might not have such a rough go...really depends on your metabolism and ease of transition.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had quite some days I haven't eaten anything at all, except a thin soup or some juice.

Of course, it doesn't happen too often, but I remember those days, I can even remember weeks I haven't eaten more than just thin soups. The longest time without ANY food at all, except some water, was 24 hours.

But now I think about all the people in the middle ages and war zones, who sometimes don't eat anything for 3-4 days except some plants they can find. They deal with it somehow.

I just want to know, if there is a risk. If I can get a heart attack, break down and just die or get other serious health damage if I don't eat anything at all for 2-3 days.

Best Answer

Lol..nope 🙂

Smoking, drinking, driving in traffic, golfing in cloudy weather etc etc are all more likely to kill you than eating nothing but miso soup for a few days. You were designed to survive without food for a few days...enjoy!

Best Answer

This was exactly what I was expecting from my body and wanted to hear it from someone to be on the safe side.

Thank's mate.

Best Answer

What I would do is have 2 protein shakes a day. If you are to lose weight by fasting you would need to replenish your body's needs. It isn't risky or dangerous but you should know how to do it properly.

Best Answer

@Paradise555 wrote:

What I would do is have 2 protein shakes a day. If you are to lose weight by fasting you would need to replenish your body's needs. It isn't risky or dangerous but you should know how to do it properly.

Hi

@Nomad92 can verify this, but my impression was that he wants to simulate a war-zone 'trapped behind enemy lines with nothing but water' scenario re military situations. Not sure weight loss is the goal.

Agree that many 'fasters' report consuming up to 500 cals/day of protein +/- fats when trying to lose weight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, correct.

Weight loss isn't my goal here. I just wanted to know, how it is to not eat ANYTHING. I think that this experience can be a positive experience for my character and future.

For most people, eating is a normal part of daily life, but for many other people out there, it isn't. And my goal is, to find out how it is to be on the other side, not being able to eat when and what I want. So I got fasting in my mind quite quick.

Best Answer

How's it going, @Nomad92?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I haven't started yet.

I am going to start from tomorrow morning.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Fasting isn't technically bad for you. If your body fat percentage is anywhere over 3 or 4 percent, you'll be fine.

You won't suffer from heart attacks, breakdowns, or death. it honestly depends on how much you intake every day. If you eat a lot of food, it will be harder to fast.

I wasn't aware that people still fasted. I believe it was Buddhist to fast.
Best Answer

IMHO The only one who can truly tell you how risky it is for YOU to fast for several days is a heatlh care professional.  None of us knows anything about you other than what you tell us.  It is risky just asking us.  Get a green light from your doctor if you are very worried.

Best Answer

IMHO The only one who can truly tell you how risky it is for YOU to fast for several days is a health care professional.  None of us knows anything about you other than what you tell us.  It is risky just asking us.  Get a green light from your doctor if you are very worried.

Best Answer
0 Votes