Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fat Burn Zone?

I am curious where Fitbit gets the evidence that a moderate heart rate burns more calories from fat. My colleague and I were having a discussion about this and I could not back up this claim.  Thanks for the help in advance,    (from fitbit)FAT BURN ZONE

Fat burn zone, which means your heart rate is 50 to 69% of maximum, is the low-to-medium intensity exercise zone and may be a good place to start for those new to exercise. It’s called the fat burn zone because a higher percentage of calories are burned from fat, but the total calorie burn rate is lower.

(from webmd)4. TRUE OR FALSE: Moderate exercise promotes weight loss more effectively than vigorous exercise.

FALSE.  Weight loss is a matter of simple arithmetic: To shed pounds, you must burn more calories than you consume. And when it comes to burning calories, the greater the exertion, the greater the rate at which calories are burned.

Working out at about 60% to 75% of your maximum heart rate (the so-called "fat-burning zone") burns fewer calories than working out at 75% to 85% of your maximum heart rate (the so-called "aerobic" or "cardio" zone).  

But caloric burn depends on a workout's duration as well as its intensity -- and it's easier to work out longer when exercising at a lower intensity.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/the-truth-about-heart-rate-and-exercise?page=3

Edit:

I did find this to possibly help explain but it looks rather deceiving to build a product around it..

http://www.builtlean.com/2013/04/01/fat-burning-zone-myth/

30 Minutes of Exercise Fat Calories Burned Glycogen Calories Burned Total Calories Burned
Low Intensity Group (50%) 120 80 200
High Intensity Group (75%) 140 260 400

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
50 REPLIES 50

You may burn more fat in less time. But you’ve also burned more muscle

Best Answer

What's the difference between Aerobic and Anaerobic?

Best Answer

I've been on Keto for over a year now.  You start out by losing inches then the weight comes off.  I take no sugars into my body.  I'm no longer diabetic and off of all medication! Keto isn't a diet or is a way of eating.  

Best Answer

One of the things to remember is that with a higher heart rate the body consumes more calories in general.

Therefore if you are after weight loss working at higher heart rates is preferable. Resting heart rates should lower with improved fitness. However, as the resting heart rate lowers your average calorie burn also reduces when inactive.

The fat burn zone is more to encourage activity to maintain a higher heart rate throughout the day which will inevitably lead to a higher amount of fat burned in general compared to being inactive and having a lower heart rate.

In addition, when the heart rate is higher then more calories are burned in general but it puts excessive stress on the body operating at peak for long periods of time. HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) reduces the additional stress on the body and reduces the likelihood of additional injuries. It also enables the person to increase their average heart rate over a longer period of time to increase the metabolic rate.

Effective weight loss needs to come from both balanced sustainable physical exercise and a change in what you eat, how you eat, how much you eat, and how frequently you eat.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for your reply; you provided really helpful information and I appreciate it.
Best Answer

Contrary to belief, cutting calories is only one part of the weight loss process.

Your body needs calories to operate and perform it’s daily functions so severely cutting calories has a negative impact on the body. When calories are cut the body will effectively go into starvation mode and try to retain calories in the form of fat.

This is especially important for those that only have 1 meal a day as this will significantly increase the chances of entering the starvation mode.

The other thing to remember is that snacking is not necessarily bad. While it is important to remember that snacking on high calorie foods could potentially lead to problems burning off the additional calories, having snacks throughout the day will help stabilise you food supply and prevent the body entering the starvation mode.

Monitoring your calorie intake throughout the day allows for the balance between exercise and food intake.

However when eating more frequently it’s important to remember that portion sizes should reduce. The body can only determine it is full after 20 minutes of eating. Yet the speed of how we eat has an additional factor on how full we feel and how well we digest our foods. Digesting food is important as the calories stored in the food need to be steadily released when eating.

Eating too quickly results in delays to the digestion process resulting in the likelihood of the body entering starvation mode before the food has been totally digested as the body is hungry for calories but it cannot consume the ones in partially digested foods fast enough to supply the calories for the bodily functions.

Thoroughly chewing the food and taking breaks between each mouthful allows for the body to generate the needed enzymes to help digest the food. There are recommendations of one mouthful every minute which also accounts for the short breaks between mouthfuls but it would depend on the type of food being consumed and the time it takes to chew the food being consumed properly.

Another key thing to remember is posture when eating. I mentioned how eating too fast leads to partially digested food, but slouching when eating also impacts how much time it takes for the body to digest the food properly.

It is often recommended that when eating sitting at a table is preferable because it firstly allows you to correct your posture. It also allows for the people around the table to have conversations which helps with the breaks between mouthfuls. But there is a third reason, and this is dependent upon whether or not there are any additional distractions happening in the room. When I mentioned about eating properly to improve digestion it requires the attention of the individual to be mindful of how much they are eating and how fast they are eating. However with the presence of distractions like television the attention is brought away from the food. This leads to issues with determining whether you are full or whether you are chewing correctly.

Many people forget they have even eaten a meal because their attention is drawn to the distraction. A lot of people say we eat with our eyes and while it may sound strange this could potentially be the reason why drawing the eyes away from the food allows us to forget we have even eaten.

Our bodies were developed from scavengers that would identify plants and animals suitable for eating mostly by sight alone. As time has progressed food is no longer scavenged but our attention to food has increasingly been diverted away from it.

I would recommend turning off devices like phones and televisions when eating as this allows for the individual to fully appreciate the meal at hand.

These tips are more as recommendations with some of them being partially connected to scientific research. I would always recommend to go with your own judgement when deciding which tips to follow.

I hope this helps some people.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Interesting “food for thought”. :-). Thank you for sharing!
Best Answer
0 Votes

This is not deceptive it’s just easily misunderstood. The point is not that you burn more fat calories per minute it’s that if you do a low intensity workout you will be able to do it for longer. For example a 60min low intensity work out will burn 240 fat calories and 160 glycogen calories, whereas a high intensity 30min work out will burn 140 fat calories and 260 glycogen calories. So overall if you are trying to lose weight low intensity is probably better.

as other posts have pointed out a high intensity workout also burns muscle rather than fat so if you are trying to get stronger then a low intensity workout is also better.

Best Answer
0 Votes
For me that begs the question then of when would the high intensity workout become the preferred? To what goals does it contribute?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Cardio workouts can be great for staying healthy if your goal isn’t weight loss or muscle gain. Regular cardio workouts can: Strengthen your heart and blood vessels. Improve the flow of oxygen throughout your body. Lower your blood pressure and cholesterol. All of these things mean that you probably will be healthier and more able

when you’re older and cardio exercise also is great for you mind and mental health.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You lose fat if you are in calorie deficit.  The more calories you are in deficit the greater fat lost. By continuing to exercise with cardio and resistance/strength training you build muscle but only slowly. About 0.2 kilos a week.

Best Answer
0 Votes