Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Food Database NOT showing Potassium

When I use the SCAN food item option via camera, the Potassium amount does not show up. 

Example, scan in Kirkland Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon (item 221177) -- the package lists Potassium as 235mg.  But, the Fitbit database shows 0 for Potassium.

Also, a number of the Fitbit figures showing up do NOT match the package listing.  Example,

Total fat  - -Package listing is 8g  -- Fitbit database shows 15g

Above are examples -- questions

1. Which FOOD database does Fitbit use?  3rd party or Fitbit's private database

2. Why is the Fitbit database not showing or in sync with the package listing.  ALL FOOD is USA products, not foreign.

Need to track Potassium -- Why isnt the Fitbit food database NOT showing the Potassium?

I have Premium membership -- would expect this not to be an issue. 

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

@6pack55 It's worse than that.. When I select an item with Potassium, alter the portion size it shows the Potassium for a full serve.

At the end of the day it totals over 1000mg above what I should be for the day.....

Not good enough for my Premium Membership and no responses for the Fitbit team.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

FitBit's database is amateur to say the least!

Hope they get with the times soon, rather than charging people rip off prices for so called premium membership.

Best Answer

I will add my concerns as well. The Fitbit app adds some potassium, like coffee and the obvious bananas. Then I looked at cashews, which I know contain some potassium - and the app shows a “-“, no potassium. So I scanned the Planters Deluxe Cashews can, where the nutritional information says 190 mg of potassium.  Logging a serving of the newly scanned package in the Fitbit app shows “-“.  No potassium.  I’m going to try setting up the cashews as a Custom food and see if that helps.  But that will be really cumbersome with every food.  Don’t know why Fitbit/Google can’t clean up this nutrient tracking on the Fitbit app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The premium membership is super cheap what are you talking about lol. But yes that is why it doesn’t work because it’s less then 100 bucks for the ENTIRE year. We get what we pay for he….

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit actually responded to this post last year:  they recommended MyFitnessPal as a more detailed and comprehensive food data base.  I’ve been using MFP ever since for food tracking - food diary and nutritional information are awesome.  Also syncs reasonably flawlessly with the Fitbit app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Potassium tracking needs to be added because it counteracts sodium intake. But, too much potassium is dangerous too. I now have to track this manually 

Best Answer
0 Votes

As I said in my previous posts, Fitbit recommended that I try MyFitnessPal for food tracking. MFP has a huge data base, and it tracks micronutrients like Na and K. I have logged my food intake on MFP (Premium) for 600 consecutive days. I am quite pleased with its ease of use (very intuitive) and the expansiveness of its food data base. Also has a scanner to add “new” foods.  Syncs with the Fitbit app - I get steps on MFP and rudimentary diet data on the Fitbit app (macronutrients).  Also integrates nicely with blood pressure & blood glucose apps. I highly recommend (as Fitbit did for me) going to MyFitnessPal Premium for food tracking.

Best Answer