Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Food tracker that tracks micronutrients

ANSWERED

I'm working with a dietitian who wants me to use a food tracker that tracks more than the basics. She's recommended that I use Cronometer which also tracks fiber, vitamins and minerals, breaks down types of proteins, types of fats, etc... Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Fitbit's logging. Is there a food tracker that is a detailed as Cronometer that does? Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

UPDATE! 

Turns out that if you connect to Fitbit from Cronometer, the information does flow both ways. So, I can log my food in Cronometer (where I get all the micronutrient info) and the calories and macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) appear in Fitbit. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Have you had a look at LoseIt! and MyFitnessPal?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Thanks. I did...and neither offers the level of detail of Cronometer. Even the free version of Cronometer offers vitamin, mineral, net carbs, types of fats...even breakdowns of type of vitamins (for example, the different B vitamins).

I did learn from another thread that Cronometer can link to Fitbit so that the information from Fitbit transfers into Cronometer, but not the other direction. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, if you have one app that tracks your nutrition (Cronometer), and another one that tracks your activity (Fitbit), do you really need to connect them both ways, i.e. have calories in and calories out displayed in both apps? If you can have them in Cronometer, wouldn’t that be sufficient? What value added would there be in having Fitbit tell you about your caloric deficit (if using the app for weight loss), which you already know from Cronometer?

The other thing is I’m not sure "micro-managing" nutrition down to every single vitamin, mineral etc. is optimal / necessary. There’s the risk it’s the tree hiding the forest. I personally prefer to focus on the big picture, e.g. energy balance and food composition. Chances are if these are taken care of, the micro-level stuff will be too.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

UPDATE! 

Turns out that if you connect to Fitbit from Cronometer, the information does flow both ways. So, I can log my food in Cronometer (where I get all the micronutrient info) and the calories and macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) appear in Fitbit. 

Best Answer

It's nice to have options about how you see your information. As I get to know Cronometer, I might use just it. Or, I might continue to use the Fitbit dashboard.Just because I choose one or the other, that the information flow is bidirectional seemed like something folks might like to know.

Per my initial post: I'm working with a dietitian who wants to check the details of my nutrition, not just how I'm doing on macronutrients. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

And, your exercise will show up in Cronometer as well.  I love the detailed nutritional stats in cronometer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Cronometer has an excellent database of foods, products etc. If you like to keep an eye on your nutritional density, that's one for fine detail on micronutrients. If at any time you have a condition that requires a higher level of a micronutrient, you can change your upper and lower limits and monitor your targets in the dashboard. I link it to my Fitbit but I rely on one for nutrition and the other for workouts and sleep data.

Best Answer
0 Votes