Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foods you used to think were healthy

This morning I had a bowl of Jordan's Country Crisp Granola, it was somewhat of a "treat" breakfast because the stuff is loaded with sugar. I shouldn't have given in to the craving but I did. Anyway, it got me thinking about when I first wanted to begin eating better and I used to live off the Jordans granolas almost every day thinking they were the healthiest thing ever - Until I actually read the label.

I'm sure everybody has done it, and food manufacturers trying to market their foods as healthy even when not doesn't help. So which foods did you used to think were healthy when you first tried to eat better, but soon found out they were not?

I would drink gallons of orange and apple juice, have so much jam on my toast instead of butter, and eat loads of cereal/granola bars - All of which marketed as healthy but incredibly sugar loaded!

How about you guys? A bit of fun but also an interesting one!

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

The first one I got rid of was Orange Juice back in late 90's. Always had lunch with a big glass of OJ. Thought it was healthy until I started to read the labels and ingredients. 

Recent revelation is 1% milk. I couldn't beleive that it has 12 grms of sugar in a cup. 😞 

Best Answer

@BhuvanaTry Fa!rlife milk. The fat free tastes like whole milk.

https://fairlife.com/our-products/skim-milk/

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bhuvana, that depends on the Orange Juice you select.  There are a number of orange juices on the market that have only one ingredient: Orange Juice.  Or, you can find ones with all kinds of additives & preservatives, including sugars.  Is it important to read the label before buying!  But then, my favorite orange juice is when I quarter an orange, throw it in the VitaMix with a little water and juice it.  Oranges are very inexpensive right now, and I just bought two 10# bags of them.

The nearly 12 grams of Carbs in a cup of milk - regardless whether it is whole, 2%, 1%, or Skim Milk, is Lactose (commonly referred to as Milk Sugar - composed of galactose and glucose), but is not added sugar.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WendyB: Thanks Wendy. I haven't seen this brand in Canada. I will look it up. 

@USAF-Larry: I used Tropicana where the ingredient list was only Oranges. As you said, I make orange juice at home with my vitamix. That's the best and so fresh.  I realize that sugar from milk is natural sugar not added one. But still it is sugar. But I use 1% for my coffee and for my oats and smoothie, it's unsweetened almond milk.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Granola bars.  Any type - Kind bars, Cliff bars.  I didn't realize that because they are dense  that I was eating more than I needed. You don't really feel satisfied like you do if you have plain yogurt and fruit. I recently started calling them cookies in my head and stopped buying them for myself and kids.

Best Answer
0 Votes