Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gluten-free, dairy free, and trying to be vegan.

ANSWERED

Are there any good resources for me to read? I am planning on eating chicken only once to twice a month. I have a Vitamix blender and there are tons of great recipes but I am starting to get tired of eating soup everyday. 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
22 REPLIES 22

Have you read finding ultra by Rich Roll? It is an inspiring story and has some great tips. I also try to eat gluten and dairy free. It can be difficult at times especially when eating out but if I always have a decent supply of fruits and veggies around and some quinoa it is more then enough to keep me going everyday. Try making green smoothies with your Vitamix in the morning. It will give you a sustained amount of energy.

Best Answer
Best Answer

Another good resource is Brendain Brazier he has a great website and books called Thrive.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got into veganism after reading Skinny Bitch. I would highly recommend this book to everyone who cares about their health!

Best Answer

I went to a whole food plant based diet 3 years ago and it was alot easier than I ever thought it would be. I don't say vegan as technically soda and potato chips are vegan but obviously are not healthy. Try happyherbivore.com She has 4 cookbooks but has recipes on her site to try. She also has a closed facebook group, herbielifestyle. I highly recommend watching the documentary Forks over knives. It is life changing. It is availble on Netflix. They also have recipes on their site. Also try Dr. Mcdougall. He has a website and tons of videos on youtube.

Best Answer

Breakfast: One large banana, One medium apple and an apricot. Lunch: A large continental cucumber, a medium nectarine or five celery sticks and Golden Round (not wholemeal) Crumpet. Snack: four Orgran toasted corn crispbread with 50gms of Liddells Lactose Free Cheese. Tea: 25 grams of nuts with a head of lettuce, a shoot of spring onion, 200gms of low gi potatos and very light dressing. 250gms of low kj tofu with five parsnips, a tsp of pounded nutmeg, two long green chillis and a quater cabbage head. 50 grams of legumes (weight then cook and mix with) with five grated carrots, 1/8 head of red cabbage, 1 tsp of ground cinamonn pods, 1 tsp of ground cummin seeds (then mold into patties) and serve with 10 yellow button squash. A standard serving of proccessed frozen meat alternative with a hudge bowl of steamed french runner beans. That's they type of stuff we eat. I switch my fruit and veggies around to match seasonal variety though. Try not to eat to more than one large hi protien, high fat fruit per day (banana, avocado, mango).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fruit! 1 sliced apple and 1 pear with cinnamon are my favorite meal right now. I just had 2 large dates with a cup of tea as my snack. I still have a few frozen peaches from summer and I pop 1 in the vitamix with a banana or a few frozen strawberries when I want a treat. Hardly any prep or clean up, extremely lowfat, keeps the blood sugar up and keeps me happy all day 🙂 

read 801010 by Doug Graham

Inga
Best Answer
0 Votes

An oldie but goodie is the original Diet for a Small Planet. Truly inspirational. 

Also the Gradual Vegetarian, although you might be past needing that one.

The there is a Mediaterranean Vegetarian Cookbook as well, that is good.

Laurel's Kitchen, packed with vegan/vegetarian recipes.

Best Answer

it is easy to prepare Raw Vegan Foods to resemble any other food; the taste is often better.  If you are still in need of help. The book Rawsome and Annie's Raw helped me most. Then I became a create my own with just about anything. Vita Mix is perfect for making your own milks and icecream or sorbet. Bananas and applesauce and Chia or Flax seed can thicken mixes ... pancakes made from bananas with flax and cocoa with coconut and coconut milk are yummy... heat them in a pan till warm to touch and flip... add a topping and you are good to go.

Dawn | USA Flex Charge HR Charge Surge Blaze Versa 2 Android
Best Answer

There's tons to eat that doesn't need to go through a whopper chopper.  There are lots of great vegan GFDF options: quinoa and other high protein grains. Make your own bread for something to chew on. Steal cut oatmeal with apricot preserves (check the ingredients for animal products or make your own) and banana puree. We've found some soy based cheeses we like for grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches on GF bread (which tastes great when grilled with Earth Balance "butter").  Thai roll ups are a fun treat - rice wrappers dipped in warm water and then fill them with cucumbers, chutney, tofu, shredded carrots - anything you want. Have fun - it's not all about the soup.

Best Answer

Rich Roll podcast is AWESOME!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm new to Fitbit and blogging. Thanks for sharing helpful tips on whole food eating. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, i have also decided to become vegan and gluten free, its not very easy if you eat out. not sure about eating this kind of food in USA.

how has your health improved since becoming vegan??

Best Answer
0 Votes

Most long term vegans I know are ethical vegans, if you are just doing vegan as a 'diet' it might be hard to stick with.. If not being a part of animal cruelty is your motivation then staying free from meat, dairy and animal-testing is easy. I can find something at most of the restaurants I would care to go into and since I don't have celiac disease and I avoid grain at home except for rice, I'll have pasta if I can't find anything else on the menu.

At Southeast Asian -I order vegan pho

Chinese -plain vegetables and tofu with rice

american restaurant- green salad, hold the dressing, onion and cheese, baked potato, plain with salt

Italian- green salad same as above, pasta with marinara and vegies hold the cheese

it isn't really that hard if you stick with whatever the parameters of your diet are, I'll take gluten over animal and I don't have problems eating pasta once or twice a week. I just don't buy it and eat it at home every day. YMMV

Inga
Best Answer

I hope you are doing well in this journey Cat Happy

I wanted to go back to this thread and recommend the epic cook Laura Miller, I've seen her videos for Raw.Vegan.Not Gross and they are really good, I have tried a couple recipes myself. I thought this may help you out and find different alternatives to the eggs on a cake, or the wheat on a pizza. Smiley Happy

Here is her Youtube channel. 

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
Thanks for the follow up.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Avoid, avoid, avoid 801010. It's junk science and people have gotten very unhealthy on that diet. It works with a very tiny segment of the population, probably due to their intense level of activity.

I recommend anything by Brendan Brazier, Rick Roll, and Scott Jurek. Happy Herbivore cookbooks are good too. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been 95% plant-based for almost a year, after spending a large portion of my adult life as a vegetarian.  I've been dairy-free most of my adult life, and LOVE to cook.  I *highly* recommend the YouTube channels titled "hot for food", "the edgy veg", as well as the personal channel of Lauren Toyota, for her "what I ate in a day" for GOOD vegan resources.  They don't make you feel bad for not being *VEGAN* but are very encouraging for those trying to move toward a fully-plant-based lifestyle.  That, and they're funny/entertaining.

Happy Eating!!

Lacie

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good luck on your new adventure. I've been gluten and dairy free for a while. 1.5 years ago I went pestatarian, and just recent plant based. It's amazing how food controls everything and how you feel. 

Best Answer
0 Votes