Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HR users: Increased heart rate after eating?

A lot of times after I eat dinner I will have a heart rate around 100-105.  My average rate is 71 per my dashboard.  Usually between 75-90 during the day.  

Anyone else notice increased heart rate after eating?  Should I have any concerns about going over 100?  I hear that it should always be under 100 if you are not active.  

Best Answer
180 REPLIES 180
Try lying on your right side. You may want to go to the hospital if the rate goes up to 140, 150.

Deb Hendrix
Best Answer
0 Votes
Mine has gotten to 160 before. You just have to digest the food. Look up postprandial tachycardia also.

Respectfully,
Sabrina Omar
Best Answer
0 Votes
Okay- THIS seriously is the BEST reply on this entire post. THANK YOU. I was diagnosed with Hiatal Hernia at age 6! (Can you believe that!?) I had the surgery at age 7 (for anyone reading this post- please DO your research before getting the 'nissan' surgery. I've had a lifetime of health and digestive issues as a result of this surgery and if I could do one thing over in life- it would be to not have done the surgery and sought alternative medicine.) Anyway... I got an endoscopy performed about five years ago when I was having some reoccurring symptoms. The Dr. told me inevitably that the hernia had 'slipped back'-which he said, almost all of them do, eventually, even after having the Nissan surgery performed.

In summary, I wouldn't be surprised if my hernia is exacerbated now due to the amount of coffee I drink and occasional stress. I know what I need to do to put the hernia in check-and I also have a good chiro that can use the special technique. It makes sense that the hernia could potentially cause some increased heart rate issues. Appreciate ALL of your responses and help/empathy. This is a great community. Blessings to all.
Best Answer
I’m happy this has helped. It helped me when the ER doctor told me as well. The stomach pushes itself into your “heart” space. It helped me to know my stomach is my true issue and how to begin healing it. Be blessed as well ❤️

Respectfully,
Sabrina Omar
Best Answer
0 Votes

I know this is an old post but do you still have trouble.  Sometimes after I eat a high carb meal, I will have a pvc, stomach pains, diarrhea and then heart rate can go up to 140.  It’s scary. I hate it and i hate feeling nervous when I eat anything!  I take Zoloft in the morning and dr gave me metroprolol succinate for night.  Don’t know if I want to start taking it.  Anyways, nerves are getting the best of me.  

Best Answer

Do you take blood pressure med?

Best Answer
0 Votes

So how high is normal after food?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sabrina, 

so how do you deal with the 150 and the anxiety that comes along with it?  I get so nervous and think I am having a heart attack.

Thanks,

Erica 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It’s definitely not as bad anymore. It’s worse when I’m doing intermittent fasting, which I’m not now. I tend to snack more frequently now so I don’t tend to get the surge in heat rate this way. But I do have the metroprolol as well, just in case. When I did used to get that high heart rate frequently it was awful. Even though it only lasted a few minutes, I’d be completely exhausted after it calmed down. I’d suggest eating small meals/snacks frequently throughout the day and see if that helps with how often it’s happening to you. Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you! I will try smaller meals and see if that helps! This morning I ate sausage, eggs, Home style potatoes and mini pancakes. Oh yeah and a hash brown. I was starving so wolfed it down and then drank dr. Pepper and all of sudden shot up to like 135. It was horrible and like you said after a few min it slowed to 100 but has been a bit on the high side ever since . I really wonder if it has something to do with premenstrual as well. Thank you again for the reply. Going to slow down and try to do what worked for you and see if that will work.
Have a good weekend.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree. 

I have GI issues for years. I am longing for a fix to this.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My heart rate goes up from 60 to 75 after eating about 400 calories in  meal. I eat 5 400 calorie meals a day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

olivepig, what is the name of the pills you took to instantly lower your blood sugar?

Best Answer
0 Votes

The fact that you are on metropolol is very interesting to me as that is exactly what my doctor is using to slow my heart rate down.  I'm taking a very, very small dose (12.5) and it's not helping too much.  Since I'm also histamine intolerant, I'm wondering if high histamines (this season is full of allergens) and the fact that I've been on Prozac forever is contributing to it.  Any one else have any experience with this?  This does seem to happen to me more "seasonally", where my resting heartbeat hangs around 80ish (which isn't great) and if I just walk around a bit, it jumps to 100 - absolutely after any meal, it does.  This was the reason I didn't want my husband to get me a fitbit because now I'm afraid I'm becoming obsessive about it!  It seems like when allergens are not high (which isn't often in Florida), then my resting pulse hangs in the mid-60's and any activity causes it to go in the 80's (talking about walking, cleaning, laundry, etc.)  More strenuous activities cause it to go in the 100's - again, that's expected.  So, question:  does anyone else deal with some type of autoimmune disorder (including histamine intolerance, which, by the way, has been linked to leaky gut) or take anti-depressants and think that it might be causing an abnormally high pulse?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Meant to say, allergens IS often in Florida (not isn't)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same thing happens to me. It's especially aggravated if I have a carb filled meals from sweets to pasta etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's almost universally reported that high carb meal like pasta bread or sweets makes the hear pulse higher than other meals though pulse will go up after a meal for almost anyone. I started a low carb diet 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You guys are all **ahem**ed. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The bloodflow to your stomach increases so your blood pressure drops, your body keeps your blood pressure constant by increasing your heart rate.

Best Answer

the effect of fat on the red blood cells will not make enough difference to increase the heart rate.

Best Answer
0 Votes