Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Healthy alternative to Olive Oil

ANSWERED

Hi everyone! 

This maybe a really stupid question but im looking for a healthier alternative to Olive oil. I am a complete novice cook.... and by novice I mean cooking properly! I am trying many healthy recipes off the internet and most of them seem to contain olive oil, which seems very high in calories. I would like to substitute this for another alternative if possible, but im not sure what is the best option. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@repcosy: Is there any other reason why you are looking for alternative to Olive oil? 

Yes.. it is high in calorie. Olive oil contains both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which is good for you. For me, this is one of source of omega-3 and omega 6 other than chia and flax seeds. Also extra virgin olive oil is one of the healthiest fat on Earth. The key is to consume in moderation.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
19 REPLIES 19

@repcosy: Is there any other reason why you are looking for alternative to Olive oil? 

Yes.. it is high in calorie. Olive oil contains both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which is good for you. For me, this is one of source of omega-3 and omega 6 other than chia and flax seeds. Also extra virgin olive oil is one of the healthiest fat on Earth. The key is to consume in moderation.

Best Answer

@Bhuvana this maybe my lack of food knowledge showing. I did wonder if it was a stupid question haha. I shall be sure to keep it in my diet now youve mentioned the fatty acids within it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Most fats are as high in calories and olive oil is a healthy fat. Next to that you don't want to get too little fat as it regulates a lot in your body like hormones and plays a role in a healthy diet. As @Bhuvana pointed out, use it in moderation. Measure it out per table spoon. We should not fear fat like we should fear added/refined sugars.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

We use coconut oil for almost everything. It even makes a great spread for toast instead of butter.

Best Answer

Larry, I was using a lot of coconut oil as well, but I've since done a lot of reading up on it and have decided to back off on its use.  https://nutritionfacts.org/video/does-coconut-oil-clog-arteries/

Best Answer

@USAF-Larry

I love to use coconut oil too! I think it is good to use a few different fats so you benefit from each. Coconut oil is another healthy one. Variety makes a healthy diet in my opinion.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't put much faith in those controversial videos, @MoMosGoGo, but each must make their own decisions on their diet.  Since coconut oil does not contain any cholesterol, like animal fats do, I consider a very healthy alternative, and will stick with it until a better alternative comes along.

You might find this article by Dr. David Samadi interesting, though:

The Health Benefits of Coconut Oil

Best Answer
0 Votes

@repcosy wrote:

This maybe a really stupid question but im looking for a healthier alternative to Olive oil. I am a complete novice cook.... and by novice I mean cooking properly!!

What do you currently use olive oil for? And why do you think there would be "healthier" alternatives?

Olive oil does not lends itself to high temperatures, so it’s not really good for frying things (it’s best in salads etc.).

All pure fats are 9 calories per gram, so if "healthier" means less calorie-dense, you won’t find healthier oils.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I really like to use avocado oil if I am using it to saute things like potatoes or veggies on the stovetop. It has a higher smoke point so it doesn't lose any of it's nutritional value or anything. It can be on the pricier side but a little goes a long way.

Best Answer

It depends on how you are using it - I find if I'm doing a quick veggie saute or other dish, I can use half as much as most recipes suggest and it tastes fine. If it is something that is supposed to be wetter looking and the pan gets dry, I can add water, wine or broth.  When baking,I don't mess with fats, but some people find they can take the oil out and use applesauce in it's place.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @domichargehr I am currently cooking with olive oil.... I am just following the recipes I find and all suggest using it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Looks like I need to do a bit of light reading on oils!   

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MollyKH

Today during grocery shopping I noticed that avocado oil had a 25% discount and I remembered this post so I jumped on it and bought it. About to put it in the pan for stir fry/saute veggies. Curious what the taste will be like.

Best Answer

@repcosy,

Avocado oil is very good for cooking, because it has higher resistance to heat, without loosing its properties. However, I use olive oil only in salads or ad a little to my dish, as I eat. I learned recently how important it is that we have some healthy fat in our diet. I used to stay away from oil, too, because it is high in calories, and low in nutritional value. But recently I learned how important it is to the proper function of our liver and gallbladder that we have oil in our diet. I'd rather eat less of other things and allow room in my calorie in-take for a little bit of cold pressed olive oil

Best Answer

I would suggest you to stick with olive oil. Especially for salads. It is not the quantity of calories, but the quality that is most important.

It is healthier to drink a glass of milk with 200 calories than drink a glass of soda with zero calories.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Olive oil does have a lot of calories,something like 120/spoon so i stopped using bottled oil and started buying those spray cans and i found i used a lot less so it wasn't so bad.

You can get them with olive oil as well as the usual canola.

It's pricier though.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Get a non-stick pan and you need just a bit cooking spray, if at all.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just started using  Avocado Oil. Love it.

Best Answer

@writergirlNYC

Just started using it as I posted above and I am in love as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes