Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help recovering from a binge

I am looking for help and advice for how to recover from a binge. Every few weeks I give in to temptation. It usually starts with one cookie, and then 2000 calories later I realize I have eaten cookies and crackers and candy until I literally feel sick. This of course ruins my progress as I don’t feel like working out. I’m wondering what I can do to avoid these situations in the future and how to recover from abusing my body like this. Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi there!  Yes, it’s hard when we don’t do everything the way we planned. But it happens.  First, don’t beat yourself up about it.  Own up to it and keep going.  Second, if you don’t want to binge on all the empty and extra calories, do not have those items in the house.  

Don’t buy cookies, candy and crackers, or at least reduce the quantities you bring home.  Instead, choose fruits, veggies and other healthier items to snack on.  If it’s all you have available, less willpower is needed.  If you just have to have some chocolates or treats sometimes, try to select lower calorie and fat items, such as an individual Snack Pack pudding cup instead of a cherry cheesecake.  I’ve been desperate for chocolate before, and with no cakes, cookies and chcolates, found that a simple microwave brownie made with cocoa, sugar and one of two other ingredients did the trick.

When I have late evening cravings for something sweet, I turn up the music and start moving and dancing, telling myself I will have a treat after I move for a while.  And most of the time I don’t want to eat anything when I am done.

If you binge, pick yourself up and keep going.  Don’t blame yourself, just get back to your food and exercise plan.  Remember, it’s a process and a lifestyle, so just keep at it!  Good luck. 

Best Answer

@Adi80adi -- welcome from a fellow binge'er.  I'm trying the following:

TO AVOID BINGE

• Have "healthy" food available at all time
  • Discover your triggers, and try to use those to eat healthy food
  • Eat satiating foods like avocado and water to try to tamp down your cravings

TO RECOVER FROM BINGE

• Accept that progress is not a straight line and just return to your routine
  • Consider that the binge will have topped off your energy stores, so use the opportunity to extend your exercise session the following day.
  • Reduce your calorie intake more than normal the following day.

UPDATE & EDIT -- I was thinking about this after I typed out this reply -- I think it's helpful to not take an "all is lost" attitude after a binge, because it's not.  Let's say you eat 2,000 calories in a single meal.  Well, if you had been "good", you probably would have eaten 800 calories for that meal.  So that means you went over by 1,200 calories.  That translates to gaining 1/3 of a pound -- hardly a catastrophic setback, particularly since you can easily create a 1,200 calorie deficit the following day and undo the damage.  So your net over 2 days is you neither lost or gained.  BFD.

Best Answer
Thank you for putting this in perspective. I am hoping that by not keeping trigger foods in the house I can minimize the damage. And as you say, the weight gain will be minimal and temporary.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you keep a log? It might be connected to a certain emotion or thought process. Is their a pattern in timing or certain trigger emotions? If you keep a log of how you feel, you might be able to understand the source. It can be hard to change when you don't know what is causing it.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes