Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop eating out and start eating right

I have a serious problem eating at restaurants almost everyday and not eating very well. I really want to make a lifestyle change and change my eating habits, but I just don't know how. Any tips?

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

You just need to make a plan and stick to it. You are the only one that can help yourself to stop. It really does need to come from you. Make a plan and stick to it!

You can do it if you try

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Hi there.

Wish I had a problem like that! Smiley Happy

Is eating out in restuarants your problem....or is it more likely that you tend to choose less healthy food when you are dining out that's the problem?

When I go out to eat with friends and colleagues it is always a little bit of a struggle to stay on track but I find that if I look up the menu first online I can then make sensible choices before going and that way I already know what I am going to have and stick with it.

I don't always have an appetizer but if my friends do then I opt for a small side salad with dressing on the side so I can dip the salad veggies into it and I always decline a bread roll if it is offered.

If it is placed on my side plate I have a hard time keeping my little paws off of it so it is easier just to decline it in the first place.

I select healthy meals of lean grilled protein and steamed vegetables or salads with a jacket/baked potato and for dessert, if I have one, I just have fresh fruit or a single scoop of sorbet.

I am quite brave now and ask for what I want so if a dish comes with a sauce I ask for it to be put in a little jug on the side or if it says that the fish is pan fried I request it grilled [same with vegetables etc].

Most places are very happy to accommodate simple requests like this.

Definitely the best tip I could give you is to look at the menu before hand and choose before you even go as that way you are far less likely to be tempted by the creamy alfredo pasta and sticky toffee pudding...with cream or ice cream....or cream AND ice cream Mmmmmm

Smiley Wink

I also try and limit how much wine I have during the meal and ensure I have a big glass of iced water on hand as if I have a glass or two of vino I am much more likely to be less vigilant about staying on plan.

Let us know how you get on....happy to be a "friend" if you want a bit of encouragement staying on track.

All the best

Sky

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here are a few suggestions:

1. Spend more time shopping for grocery (this is a Fitbit-friendly activity, as it will get you more steps and active minutes), and try to favour minimally processed / whole foods
  2. Spend more time in the kitchen (also Fitbit-friendly, as you will be standing instead of sitting/lying)
  3. Get handy in the kitchen: you don’t have to be a master chef right from the beginning, but anyone can learn how to prepare decently good and nutritious meals
  4. Eat out less often (like once a week), but treat yourself with a "fine dining" experience. Even if fancier restaurants are more expensive, it’s still going to be cheaper eating once a week at a fancy place than everyday at your usual junk food join.

The good thing about making your own meals is you have full control over what goes into them.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@cassidyspahr changing the lifestyle doesn't mean sacrificing all going outs. It means to learn to make better choices. Sometimes it's impossible to avoid eating out and learning how to deal with it is a key. You've been given lots of good advises here. Like @IonicGirl I also check the menu of the place I'm about to go. There are few things I look for:

- What kind of restaurant/pub is it? ( I rather avoid all-you-can-eat places, I look for REAL food )

- is there vegetarian/vegan option? ( not a must, but if there is it shows that restaurants probably cares little more and will be more flexible in terms of modifying any dish to my needs )

- is there nutritional information ( including calories, macros etc. )? ( very often there is and it's may be useful, even if not 100% accurate, data )

The latter usually requires a little bit of digging but you'd be surprised how many restaurants have very detailed nutrition guides ( at least here in the UK ).

I used to eat out almost every day ( sometimes actually it was every day, and I don't count in plenty of home deliveries and takeaways ). I've made lots of bad choices, became obese but after all, I managed to get everything under control. Still, I have to be careful. As the food addict eating out for me can be very treacherous 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

You need to treat the inside of your body the way you treat the outside. You'd never roll out of bed, no shower or makeup, and go to work that way. You'd never meet a friend for lunch wearing a bad outfit. So why do we spend all day devaluing what we eat? Your diet impacts your sugar level, hydration, energy, etc, all throughout the day. It plays a big role in whether you will feel happy or irritable. It impacts whether you will feel like going out after work.

If you go shopping for clothes on the weekend, you should make at least equal time to shop for what goes in. If you make sure to have clean laundry before Monday morning, make sure to have enough food for the week. If you wouldn't leave home without your hair fixed, don't leave home without lunch packed. Make it a rule.

It's always amazing when people say they don't have time for healthy living. Facebook was invented in 2004, and people immediately found the time to participate. We make the time for things we want. 

Best Answer

Baby steps.  Start by substituting healthier options one at a time.  If not, just completely revamp your eating habits.  I just decided one day to change what I was eating.  It's tough at first but once you start feeling better about what you're putting into your body, it becomes a simple choice.

Best Answer
0 Votes

going out and eating healthy are not mutually exclusive. I go out every week at least twice per week for dinner and it isn't an issue. I look for healthy items and ask the kitchen to custom prep for me if need be. I am a regular at most places so they don't mind. But even in chain places, there are more and more healthy choices, you just have to flip the page of the menu. Most menus list approximate calories for each dish to make it even easier to decide what to have. Just remember- a salad can have as many calories as a burger.. read the ingredients and stay away from thick gloopy dressing.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Eating out is a great way to celebrate an evening but when it becomes a norm, then it is no longer healthy. In fact it becomes an addiction and is bad for health.Chart out the pros and cons of eating out at restaurants and you will be able to help yourself. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Don't mean to be glib, but this one is pretty easy -- follow these steps:

1. Buy food at the grocery store
  2. Eat the food
  3. Repeat

I say it's easy because I did it, and if I can do it anybody can do it.  There are many benefits:

• You can pick exactly the healthy food you want, which often is not available when eating out
  • If you food prep in bulk, you will save hours of time per week
  • You will save hundreds of dollars per month in after-tax dollars

In other words, you get to eat exactly what you need, you get more productive time, and you get a raise.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sounds like my wife, sometimes I think she could eat out for every meal. I prefer to always eat at home. I'm the cook in the house. I just think you need to plan and don't be lazy. Take one meal at a time. Plus you'll save money and eat better. Just do it.

Best Answer
0 Votes