Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stay full after a really hard workout

So I've been really trying to up my running ability and am getting up in the range of going out for an 8 mile run (looking to push it up towards the half marathon regime). I tend to burn a lot of calories on these, since I'm not in the best shape at the moment, so after burning 1400 calories in a workout, I find myself really hungry for the rest of the day.

I've noticed that I can kind of afford to eat a lot on those days and not see much of a change in my weight, but I would like to slim down as well. So I was wondering if you guys knew of any good foods to really fill me up after a run like that.

I know that eating a large breakfast tends to reduce hunger throughout the day, but I tend to just have some cereal and a banana before the run and can't run on too much more than that without my body trying to reject that.

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

You need to eat more proteins. It helps rebuild your muscles, and also helps you to feel full for a while.

When I feel hungry, I eat a boiled egg or eat three spoonfuls of skimmed cottage cheese. it usually helps.

You can find proteins in cottage cheese, eggs, milk, peanutbutter, chicken and salmon. You need about 0.8 grams of protein per kilo. I don't know where you are from, but be sure to look up what foods in your country are available and what is recommended there.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you can't sit down and eat a good solid meal after a workout try a protein shake.  Protein powder, milk (I don't do dairy but it's a good recovery addition), fruit and some oat flour (thinking pre-ground quick oats if you can't purchase it).  The oats are an important addition not to skip.  It gives the shake some body to it, which I've always felt helps me feel full longer.  I've also been adding hemp hearts to my shakes lately which may (or may not) have some health benefits.  I was just looking for an easy to grind up source of healthy fats.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

If I do heavy weight lifting, it sometimes kicks up a ravenous appetite. I tried eating celery, pretzels, etc., but none of it was satisfying. My body wanted lots of protein and carbohydrates after the workout. So I give the body what it wants, even letting the calories in go over-plan on a heavy workout day. Then on a rest day, I concentrate more on weight loss, where it's easier to get through the day with reduced calories. Don't starve your body when it wants fuel, or the metabolism can suffer. Best of luck.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

Cardio burns calories which makes you hungry. The more you burn the hungrier you will be. Carbs. but pick really good carbs not the kind that go right through you and leave you starving. I know when I am done my run, I want to eat the entire pantry. But here is my go to: oatmeal. I preach oatmeal a lot on here because it is so good for you and fills you up. Make it fun. Add honey, fruit, trail mix, nuts, little chocolate chips, anything to make it fun. My sons favorite is banana, honey, toffee chips and almond milk. Mine is strawberries, maple syrup and almond milk. I am telling you try it.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's more efficient for your body to eat carbs and sugar before you run. Because it needs something to burn other than muscle mass.  After your run, your body needs food that will help regenerate muscles, or else you will be losing muscle mass instead of fat. But otherwise, emill is right. Make it fun to eat and choose complex carbs. Make sure you choose whole wheat products among other.

Best Answer
0 Votes