Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm looking for cold lunch ideas!

ANSWERED
I can find 100+ cold lunch ideas online. unfortunately, my husband is super picky and won't eat stuff like pesto, or couscous, or anything "weird". Lol and I'm running out of ideas. :-D. ... Just NO SANDWICHES. hahahaha. Btw, he has no way to heat them and he eats on the go because he doesn't even really get a lunch... Lol life of an hvac guy.

Any ideas would be AWESOME!!! THANKS!
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

How picky - Will he eat cold stuff that is usually eaten warmed? 

I work in the field half the time and I just bring leftovers from last night's dinner and eat it cold. The only foods it doesn't work for are very oily/greasy things as the grease congeals and is unpleasant. Otherwise, beef, chicken, fish, pork, pasta - all more delicous warm but just fine cold. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
17 REPLIES 17

HVAC guys also live with lots of dust on the job, don't they?

He like pasta at all? Maybe a tuna and pasta salad or a bean salad?

Would he like a hot meal? He could use a good thermos. I've found a nice 16 ounce thermos at Walmart and use that for hot or cold items.

No real lunch break? The poor guy - you ought to put a FitBit on him and see how much running around he does in a day!

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

How about lightbread/ crispbread (e.g. kruskits) with crackers with avocado, tomato salsa etc 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I second this suggestion. I used to eat pasta for lunches (hence calorie creep) and find it difficult to cut all processed carbs but swear by Rivita with various toppings. It's rye crispbread, I'm in Oz, so not sure on equivalent branc overseas.

Rivita with avocado and salmon. Rivita with cottage cheese and beef. Rivita with various salads. Rivita with vegemite.

With bread sandwich alternatives it's a good idea to compare packets. Some puffed rice biscuits are higher fat than rye crispbreads or between brands.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I should get him a flex and a thermos lol. He loves pasta.... Lol he's one of those "steak and potatoes" kind of guys. 🙂
Best Answer
0 Votes

Even a steak and potatoes guy can be picky. There is so much you can do with pasta, too. Depending on your weather, he might like a hearty beef stew, with plenty of beef and potatoes! He like rice?

My guy used to take his lunch more often, but like you guy, it's a grab and go type thing with some jobs.

As for the Flex, that might be a fun thing for him to have!

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes

How about a rice salad? 

I've been having cold brown rice with veggies mixed in for my lunch this week. A bit bland on it's own, but I've been taking a couple of tbsps of natural yogart with a bit of lemon juice and dried mint in it to spruce it up a bit. Adds some extra flavour and creamyness without being overly fat filled. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

What about using a sliced pepper instead of bread for a 'sandwich', fill with tuna or rice salad or egg with light mayo - anything you would put in a sandwich really

Best Answer
0 Votes

Cornish pasties might work well for him.  it a popular lunch in the UK, and can be eaten either hot (1 min in a microwave) or cold. 

Best Answer

I am a pretty picky eater and rarely get a microwave for lunch or a break so I'm almost constantly eating on the run.

1. Sushi (maybe he's too picky for this but it's fast, filling, easy and can be a nice change up)

2. Like everyone else said, pastas. Seriously most guys will eat lasagna, mac and cheese and spaghetti cold. The trick is to make sure it's "extra" saucy so that the noodles don't get gross.

3. I know you said no sandwiches but if you get a little creative with it - like a meatball "sub" on leftover garlic bread. Doesn't really taste/seem like a sandwich.

4. Leftover fried chicken. Pair it up with egg, pasta or potato salad. All good cold.

5. Chicken salad - use crackers if he's over sandwiches. Crunchy is good.

6. Rice cakes w/peanut butter and banana - yes like a sandwich but every so often it's a nice change

7. Salads? Might be a deal breaker if he's a meat and taters dude but put a generous portion of steak or chicken on top of it and that might do the trick?

8. Ditto to what everyone else has said about thermos use and stews/soups. Probably going to need something else with it but it's nice to have something warm, esp during the winter.

9. Meat and rice or noodles. I've done this before with steak, rice and veggies and shockingly, it's not bad cold. I usually make a london broil type-cut meat some weekends and use the leftovers for lunches, stews, sandwiches, etc during my week.

Best Answer

I love making a homemade greek pasta salad and it is served cold. All you need is penne pasta (be sure not to overcook), feta cheese, and then it is a matter of adding the veges you like to bulk it up. I use tomatoes, radish, carrot, cucumber, pepper, or whatever else is in the fridge. I know a classic salad includes olives (but not me!). The dressing is 50/50 extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar. Add to coat, but not too much because then you pasta will soak in it (and the oil adds the majority of the calories). The last important thing is to add some fresh herbs, like parsley, basil or cilantro, stir in and let the whole thing refridgerate overnight for flavors to mix. You can't eat this same day or it will taste vinegary. I hope he likes it!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not a sandwich person myself. But what about a wrap? Put fillings in a tortilla and I'm all over that!  My favorites include

• refried beans mixed with salsa and sprinkled with greens (like baby spinach or arugula)
  • apple butter, a few slices of turkey, and some lettuce leaves
  • a breakfast burrito containing an egg or two cooked with various veggies
  • an ersatz veggie reuben with Yves veggie salami, sliced tomatoes, sauerkraut, pickles, and Thousand Island dressing (I fake it with vegan mayo, ketchup, and sriracha) - this smells kinda weird and probably sounds gross, but I am insane for it

There also are rice or quinoa bowl-type options similar to other recommendations here, like a burrito bowl with a grain and black beans or leftover meat topped with salsa, cheese, avocado, etc.

For something casserole-y, try a black bean enchilada bake.  I combine a can of medium enchilada sauce with water to equal 2 cups.  Pour it over corn tortillas, chopped onions, beans, and cheese layered in a dish and bake at 350.  This can be sliced like lasagne and eaten at room temp or reheated.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Depending on where you live especially during the winter he does have a way to heat stuff. I drove a semi for 7 years and I would take soup and throw it up on the dash when I started work in the morning and with the heat in the truck blowing all morning it would be warm by lunch time. I'm assuming he has a work van he drives around in.

Best Answer

For me, Guac & some fresh Nann bread. Fantastic lunch and it tastes amazing. 

Banks' Lunchable Guac

Ingredients

• 2 ripe avocados
  • 1/2 red onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1-2 serrano chiles, stems and seeds removed, minced (Optional. I like it to have some kick, every now & then)
  • 2 tablespoons cilantro (leaves and tender stems), finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon of fresh lime or lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • A dash of freshly grated black pepper
  • 1/2 ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped
  • A dash or garlic

Method To The Madness

• Cut avocados in half. Remove seed. Scoop out avacado from the peel, put in a mixing bowl.

• Using a fork, roughly mash the avocado. (Don't overdo it! The guacamole should be a little chunky) Add the chopped onion, cilantro, lime or lemon, salt & pepper and mash some more. Chili peppers vary individually in their hotness. So, start with half of one chili pepper and add to the guacamole to your desired degree of hotness.

• Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the guacamole to prevent oxidation from the air reaching it. Refrigerate until ready.

• Just before serving, chop the tomato, add to the guacamole and mix.

NOTE:

Chilling tomatoes hurts their flavor, so don't chop the tomatoes or add to the guacamole until ready to serve.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How picky - Will he eat cold stuff that is usually eaten warmed? 

I work in the field half the time and I just bring leftovers from last night's dinner and eat it cold. The only foods it doesn't work for are very oily/greasy things as the grease congeals and is unpleasant. Otherwise, beef, chicken, fish, pork, pasta - all more delicous warm but just fine cold. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello there!

Good ideas to try!  Here's is one recipe I'd like to share with you. My husband and children enjoy it! 

Carrot Salad With Grilled Chicken.

1   Cup of grilled chicken in cubes of 1".
1   Grated carrot
1   Chopped tomato
1   Tablespoon of finely chopped cilantro
1/2 Tablespoon of chopped onion
-     Lemon juice
-     Salt and pepper

* If you want, you can add dressing instead of lemon.

Put all the ingredients in a bowl mix them, and once you're ready to eat, add the lemon, salt and pepper or the dressing. Healthy, easy, fast and always fresh!

I hope you like it!

Fitbit Community ModeratorVivian | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did this help you? Help others by marking it as a solution! 🙂

Best Answer

Hi everyone,

I love fastfoods is just qucik and easy...... My Mother and I love fastfoods last night we went to K.F.C

so we had a crispy chicken dinner.

with green beans

with mash potatoes with brown gravy..

I love green beans is my fav veggies and mash potatoes

MMMM...... good food

and last night I had my 1st Ozarka bottle water in 6 years I had no water intill last night

Woman Very Happy

Missy M. as@ nkotblove
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have done this a few times, get a Rotisserie chicken and chop it in the amount of pieces you'll be using. Use one piece and freeze the rest. I've also done this with ground beef in 100gr portions. Using 1 piece at a time, you can do some of these:

1. Fajitas

2. Salad (plenty of combinations)

3. Pasta (this is an open door for every kind of pasta)

4. Burritos

5. Chicken stew & potatoes

6. Shepherd's pie

7. Chicken curry and rice

8.  Chili Stew

9.  Pulled BBQ Chicken Sandwiches

10. Individual Chicken Pot Pies

And many more! Check Pinterest, Food Network and AllRecipes for more recipes. Cat Very Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes