Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it ok to eat salami & sausages?

ANSWERED

Hi. I weight about 68Kgs with a height of 5'7 & I work out 6 days a week. I do not eat any fried stuff & mostly stick to chicken/meat that too boiled to fulfill my protien requirements. Want to know is salami/boiled chicken sausages an advisable option instead of boiled chicken(not on a regular basis though). They taste much better then boiled so... 😉 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Salami and sausages are highly processed meat with usually lots (too much) of sodium. Many studies show highly processed meat causes or favour several nasty diseases, so I would say it’s not optimal to consume too much of them and too often.

Boiling chicken isn’t your only option. Try this Thai chicken recipe, for instance.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Salami and sausages are highly processed meat with usually lots (too much) of sodium. Many studies show highly processed meat causes or favour several nasty diseases, so I would say it’s not optimal to consume too much of them and too often.

Boiling chicken isn’t your only option. Try this Thai chicken recipe, for instance.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do have roasted chicken sometimes, Definately better tasting than boiled!!!. Is it ok to eat salami once a week. One of my main concerns is.. is it fattening/has more calories than boiled chicken??

Best Answer
0 Votes

You make it sound like chicken is your only source of protein, and like boiled chicken and chicken sausages are the only way you can eat it. However, there’s protein in a lot of other items, and if you like chicken, there are other ways to eat it (besides boiled and sausages).

As to your question regarding salami: if it’s industrial salami and comes in a package, nutritional information is probably included on the package. If not (for instance, if you’re getting it cut and packed in front of you at a store) google the nutrition facts for the nearest thing to what you got. Generally speaking, there’s more fat and less protein per 100 g in salami than in unprocessed meat like raw chicken breast or a beef steak. Every food is fattening ... if you overeat it. If you are eating salami for the protein, you’ll have to eat a lot more than you would be eating chicken for the same amount of protein. Plus you would get excess sodium and a lot of other unwanted stuff (especially if it’s industrial salami).

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

Even if you are getting it sliced at the store Deli their package has the NI on it and they will give it to you.

I have asked on sliced sandwich meat many times.

I agree there is more Protein than just chicken. I would get sick of just eating chicken. Pork chops are good.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Salami and sausages are considered processed meats

http://www.who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/

Q&A on the carcinogenicity of the consumption of red meat and processed meat

http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/pr/2015/pdfs/pr240_E.pdf

Processed meat

Processed meat was classified as carcinogenic to humans (Group 1), based on sufficient evidence in humans that the consumption of processed meat causes colorectal cancer.
Best Answer
0 Votes