Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it okay to eat something immediately after exercise? If yes, what to eat?

As per research, consuming a combination of carbohydrates [such as fruit, fruit juice, or a sports drink] and a protein supplement [such as a whey protein isolate powder, which is made from milk] within 20 minutes of your workout allows for best utilization of the protein by your body. A whey protein supplement could help increase your stamina, strength, and endurance as proteins are the building blocks of muscle tissue. If you are a vegetarian, your overall protein intake might be low. Protein supplements allow your muscles to recover faster. They also allow you to get a larger amount of protein into your body quickly soon after a workout, which helps your body recover better.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hmmm, I am indiscriminate after a long run; a glass of milk, a PB&J sandwich, a full breakfast spread, heck, even a beer on occasion.  Can't say I've ever noticed any difference, and I've been running for something like 50 years now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @BENZA58, welcome to the community forums! @shipo it's great to see you around and thanks for your input! 

We know the body needs to recover after a workout session, so what we eat right after we exercise is very important, but it's also important to perform well at the gym or during out training, and many people achieve this by eating the right meal/snack before the workout. For more information, I suggest you to visit the following blog: What Fitness Pros Eat After a Tough Workout

On a side note, I've moved your post to another board to keep our forums organized. 

Hope this helps! 

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes