Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keto

ANSWERED

Hi, I am on the Keto Diet and love it!  I dropped my sugar from 349 to 102 in 3 weeks.  All symptoms stopped in first week.

Question; How do I adjust my calories in and out to fit Keto diet?   or do I ignore and just follow percentages of carbs, proteins and fats?

Any help is welcome!!   😉

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Diannedb - glad to hear you love your path.  Can you share what the symptoms were that stopped in the first week?

As to calories in and out on Keto -- there are two schools of thought:

1. Calories don't matter -- reduce carbs to 5%, protein to 20% and your body will "heal" and naturally find it's optimal weight.
  2. Regardless of how you eat, weight loss occurs as the result of a calorie deficit, whether you consciously track calories or not.

I'm in School #2.  Keto makes it very easy to have a calorie deficit; however, if the "optimal" weight you settle to is not your target weight, then you're going to have to intervene.

My recommendation:  if your primary goal is to get your blood sugar under control, you like how Keto makes you feel, and are convinced it is the path for you, then you don't need to track calories.  I'd focus the next couple of months on getting adapted to it.  I'd buy The Art & Science of Low Carb Living by Phinney and Volek and pay particular attention to adaptation, particularly increasing sodium, magnesium and potassium.

On the other hand, if your primary goal is weight loss, then I'd log all my eating and setup a calorie deficit  You don't even need to be fully in ketosis.  Just eating low carb will reduce your blood sugar and appetite.

Again, what symptoms improved for you?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Best to count carbs & protein in grams then add as much fat as you need to be satisfied. 

Try https://www.ketogenicforums.com 

Allie
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Diannedb - glad to hear you love your path.  Can you share what the symptoms were that stopped in the first week?

As to calories in and out on Keto -- there are two schools of thought:

1. Calories don't matter -- reduce carbs to 5%, protein to 20% and your body will "heal" and naturally find it's optimal weight.
  2. Regardless of how you eat, weight loss occurs as the result of a calorie deficit, whether you consciously track calories or not.

I'm in School #2.  Keto makes it very easy to have a calorie deficit; however, if the "optimal" weight you settle to is not your target weight, then you're going to have to intervene.

My recommendation:  if your primary goal is to get your blood sugar under control, you like how Keto makes you feel, and are convinced it is the path for you, then you don't need to track calories.  I'd focus the next couple of months on getting adapted to it.  I'd buy The Art & Science of Low Carb Living by Phinney and Volek and pay particular attention to adaptation, particularly increasing sodium, magnesium and potassium.

On the other hand, if your primary goal is weight loss, then I'd log all my eating and setup a calorie deficit  You don't even need to be fully in ketosis.  Just eating low carb will reduce your blood sugar and appetite.

Again, what symptoms improved for you?

Best Answer

Hi, Sorry it took so long to respond.  I'm moving and its been hectic..

Thank you for replying to my post.  

To answer your question, The symptoms that stopped once I started Keto were less headaches ( I had a severe concussion), not running to the bathroom every 5 minutes, sleeping better, more alert and more energy, less brain fog, cravings are gone, not stuttering anymore!!  I remember things better.

My blood sugar is around 100 now give or take a few points.  I go for my 1 month check up on Tuesday.

I am curious about my blood pressure.   

I am on 1200 calories.  I need to lose 33 lbs.  It's tricky but I can do it!!

Dianne

Best Answer

hey guys,

We introduced the first low-carb and keto food search engine. Foods are given 3 scores derived from our in-house scoring system, making it clear what foods are right for your health and performance goals.

Suggestions and Feedback are welcome, thank you so much!

https://nutrita.app/pro/

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did 23 net carbs and ate highest percentage of fat per my dr.;

-----------------------------------

you CAN do it....thanks for sharing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Community forums, @Chama! How did it go with the Keto diet? Have you found anything in particular that has been helpful to follow this food plan? 😀

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

Wow! I had no idea this forum was still active!!!I have been on keto for 2 years and searched high and low for a fitbit community. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @DawnVai! It's great to see you around for the first time! 

I'm sure you'll be able to find lots of friends to add and start new challenges or discussions where you can participate. Here are some threads of the discussion forums where you can find many people to add as friends or just to introduce yourself to the Community: 

Let us know about your progress! 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer