Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logging food when you cook your own?

ANSWERED

I just got my Force today. I logged breakfast and lunch, pretty straightforward. But I cook most of our food, and some of what we cook with we grew and canned last year. The Database, like all the rest, are geared toward restaurant meals and packaged foods, which we seldom use. I don't want to enter 20 different ingredients for something like a curry or a stew. Any help?

Best Answer
45 REPLIES 45

Thank you slysam!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GinniGee wrote:
I have microwave Veges (Zuchinni, broccoli & cauliflower) almost every night with a dash of cayenne pepper a few splashes of low sodium soy sauce and water - I know it's low in kjs and fat (having going thru Jenny Craig for 2 years, my consultant loved it and recommended it to others), however I'm at a loss as to how to calculate this.

Like others here, I cook from scratch every night and find calculating all the ingredients cumbersome.

Up to you, but weigh veg as you go, don't sweat the spices.  Tonight (for 2 people), I put:

12 oz new potatoes

6 oz green beans

1.5 Tb canola oil

salt, pepper

garlic (2 large cloves, sliced)

I logged the potatoes, green beans, and the oil.  I didn't worry about the salt, pepper, and garlic.  Okay, I've probably missed 6 calories from the garlic, but I'm not concerned about that.  The protein (bbq chicken thighs with onions and mushrooms) I made in the crockpot a while back and it's already in as a meal.  It was simple to log really.  I am using the computer logging, I find the phone logging awkward.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I cook, I enter the ingredients and servings into Mastercook, a recipe collection software program that I've had for many years.  It goes above and beyond analyzing calories (e.g., it calculates carbs, protein, etc.).  Then I simply add the dish as a custom food on Fitbit, inputing in the calories and servings given by Mastercook and recall it on Fitbit when I make it again.

What I like about Mastercook is that sometimes I'll make a new dish from scratch and then I'll forget in the future how I made it, so making an entry in Mastercook helps me to remember. 

Another huge plus is that if I see a recipe I like that doesn't provide nutrition information (or is touted as "healthy" but seems suspicious to me), I will copy the ingredients and import it to Mastercook (two clicks) which will analyze it for me before I try the recipe.  This has been very beneficial to me in keeping within the calorie range that Fitbit calculates.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried this but it seems to only go one way, from fitbit to myfitness pal,  not the other way around, I'd like to use myfitnesspal to log recipes and have it report the nutrition summary to fitbit....

Best Answer
0 Votes

How!? Please explain how it integrates with fitbit, I linked my accounts, but when i add meals to myfitnesspal it doesn't get added to my fitbit app food log...

Best Answer
0 Votes

SparkPeople is closed as of today. Building a new plateform.

Best Answer
0 Votes