Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Low Fat/calorie canned TUNA recipes.

ANSWERED

I don't eat a lot of fish but I am trying to add fish to my high protein, low carb diet. I normally only fix tuna as tuna salad (sandwiches or crackers).  I've fixed it and just left off the bread and or crackers but it is just sorta plain. I also tried tuna & egg salad, not bad but it didn't set well with me.

I live alone and I'm looking for some easy recipes that I can make for myself using canned tuna or salmon. Something with low carbs...

Any info/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Darlene

NC

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@DarleneM I saw your tuna post and thought I'd throw in something I concocted the other night.

I don't have a car, so going to the grocery store can be a daunting task.  For the sake of convenience, I like to use what's on hand in my pantry and served the following, sautéed, over some steamed jasmine rice:

1/2 yellow onion, with garlic and EVOO

1/4 bunch fresh spinach  

1 fresh tomato

1 can of albacore tuna in water

salt, pepper and a few red pepper flakes

To my surprise, it was actually pretty delicious.  Then again, I have a tendency to call any meal involving most food groups and a lot of spice "delicious.."

Emily | Community Moderator, Fitbit

All that stepping got you exhausted? Improve Your Zzzs!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

You know what I absolutely love with canned tuna? A mix of tuna, any leftover flavored rice, and a good dollop of salsa. I heat it for a few moments in the microwave and I find it to be a very tasty lunch or dinner. Let me know if you try it, I'm curious to know what you think of it. 

Best Answer

White Albacore tuna, a boiled egg cut up and mixed together with the tuna.  Drizzle some Srirachi (Rooster) sauce on it.  Good protein snack. 

Best Answer

My current favorite tuna recipe:

1 can albacore

1/2 avacado

Juice from 1/2 lemon

you can also add some fresh dill or mint

crush it all together for easy low fat tuna salad. Good on a bed of lettuce or on a celery stick or all by its self. 

For smoked salmon i like:

2 oz smoked salmon 

1 bar of low fat cream cheese

1/2 cup diced cucumber

1/2 cup diced tomato

1/4 cup of bacon bits.

Blended until cream cheese is smooth and serve on english muffin, or Red Pepper 1/4. 

Good luck!

Best Answer

@DarleneM I saw your tuna post and thought I'd throw in something I concocted the other night.

I don't have a car, so going to the grocery store can be a daunting task.  For the sake of convenience, I like to use what's on hand in my pantry and served the following, sautéed, over some steamed jasmine rice:

1/2 yellow onion, with garlic and EVOO

1/4 bunch fresh spinach  

1 fresh tomato

1 can of albacore tuna in water

salt, pepper and a few red pepper flakes

To my surprise, it was actually pretty delicious.  Then again, I have a tendency to call any meal involving most food groups and a lot of spice "delicious.."

Emily | Community Moderator, Fitbit

All that stepping got you exhausted? Improve Your Zzzs!

Best Answer

That does sound yummy!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

1 can tuna

1 medium tomato chopped

1/2 green pepper, red pepper

2 slacks celery

1 or 2 carrots shredded

2 Table spoon red diced onion or not( if you don't like it)

1tsp mayonnaise

pepper and salt. To make it spicy add some cayenne pepper.

Mix and serve on pitta bread or lettuce.

Best Answer

I make a high protien salad with canned tuna. I don't really measure but this makes enough for lunches and some dinner sides.

1 pk lentils from Trader Joe's

1 can chick peas

roasted brussel sprouts

roasted broccoli

Kale (1 bag) steamed in chicken broth

2 cans tuna

Lemon vinaigrette (maybe a 1/4 cup)

It's super filling. For dinners I use it as a side to more protein.

Best Answer

Hi Darlene, I like an Asian-style salad with bok choy, carrots, and a dressing of sesame oil and rice wine vinegar.  You could add canned tuna or salmon, though usually I make it with sardines.

Also, homemade salmon burgers are tasty and delicious with canned salmon.

Best Answer

Hi Darlene,

Here is my goto Tuna recipe.

1 2.6 oz package of starkist low sodium tuna

1 TBS of italian dressing

1 TBS of pickle relish

Mix it all together in a bowl and wala!

Hope you like it.

Andy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've never tried Italian dressing with Tuna, but it sounds good/different. Thanks Andy!

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you're in a huge hurry, I do this sometimes for lunch at work: 1 can of tuna, a bit of mustard, and 2-3 crushed crackers or serve over lettuce for texture. It sounds (and looks...) kinda odd, but it's actually really tasty, and super healthy/fast/cheap!

"You can't out-run your fork!"
Best Answer
0 Votes

Last week I forgot to bring my lunch, but knew that I had some tuna in my desk.

I had:

2 packages tuna

2 packages of mustard

Some tomatos, onions and pickles (there's a sandwhich shop on the first floor of my building, so they gave me that for free lol)

Stirred it all up and just ate it.

Kinda boring, but very high protein, and super fast.

Competitive Crossfitter
Novice Runner
Getting Better EVERY Day
Best Answer

I just made an awesome lunch.  Tuna, Quinoa and Brocolli patties

I am on a low carb diet too however I do have quinoa in my diet in small amounts
I had about half a cup of left over cooked quinoa, maybe even less (which I had cooked in chicken stock h/m).  

I cooked up in a tsp of EVO about a 1/4 cup of broccoli florets cut up small. and 1/4 of a small red onion finely diced.  Just until tender. 
I then mixed it in with the Quinoa.  I also added 1 egg, 1 tbls of quinoa flakes  (or you could use almond meal) and a small tin of tuna.  I seasoned it lightly.

heat a small amount of EVO or coconut oil in a fry pan and add 1/4 cup fulls of mixture and cook until golden brown and then flip and repeat.  I had this with a nice garden salad.  It was filling.   

Best Answer
0 Votes
Perhaps this will not fit your requirements, but I will share.
My fave tuna dish is:
1 can skipjack tuna
1 avocado
1/2 tomato
1tbsp mayo
Squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice
Salt & pepper

Mix it all together...sooo yummy and filling!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm a tuna lover! Thank you for sharing those delicious ideas. Mine is simple:

Chopped tomato, avocado, lettuce, lemon juice, tuna of course, grated carrot, salt and pepper. Mix all the ingredients and enjoy, if you don't have time in just a couple of minutes you'll get this salad! 

Fitbit Community ModeratorVivian | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did this help you? Help others by marking it as a solution! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes