Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for low-carb options for people who can't cook!

I'm on a low-carb high protein diet. Any suggestions for meals or snacks that do not require a lot of prep?

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

I don't do low carb, but nuts, veggies, cheese, etc. are all good low carb snacks.  Although you are better to start cooking for yourself a coworker who does low carb purchases those roasted chickens that most grocery stores sell.

For recipes, try searching something like 'easy low carb recipes'

http://www.foodnetwork.com/topics/low-carb-recipes

https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/healthy-meals/low-carb-recipes

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Deli meat and cheese 

Tuna with celery

Celery and peanut butter (pb2) 

Celery and cream cheese

Deviled eggs

Cucumbers 

Pork rinds

Pepperoni 

Strawberries (in moderation) 

Bulletproof coffee

Google fat bombs to keep you full to decrease the need for snacks. Pinterest is a great start to look up low carb meals. Crock pot meals are handy. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I love hard boiled eggs. Not for everyone though. 

Some of my meal plan snacks (not a low prep meal plan mind you) include

Olives with feta

Pickles

veggies and ranch

celery with cream cheese (max 2 oz of cheese per day)

Leftovers

Smoked salmon and avocado

Ham and cheddar

Tuna salad and avocado (or just the tuna salad)

salmon sandwich stuffing.

A few things that stall me immediately include any caffeine at all (I constantly drink water or caffeine free tea), too much cheese - like i said I have a max of 2 oz/day so most of the delicious looking low carb recipes (i.e. anything with a cauliflower bread substitute) are off of my list except for really special occasions, not eating enough greens, and not drinking enough water. 

Congrats on making the low carb change. If you eat enough veggies, this is a great way to manage weight. I am a super active mom who has always eaten healthy (according to the Canadian Food Guide) but always been severely over weight. I learned that my body just simply doesn't want carbs. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

-Eggs, bacon or sausage (I cook together in same pan after I pour out oil from meat)

-Chicken with butter and franks red hot suace (zero carbs)

-Salmon with dill weed and salt and pepper in the oven (awesome and easy) good with something green

-Salads with zero carb or 1 or 2 per serving. (Panera Bread has great zero carb high fat dressings I buy at Target)

-Ahi Tuna Steaks Pan Seared

-Green Peppers, Broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, spinach (all good, can cook with live oil and add sausage if you like)

-Cook with coconut or olive oils

-Steaks with salt and pepper grilled or broiled are food with something green

-Boil water with  Broccoli or cauliflower for five minutes (can make cheese sauces with cheddar cheese, cream, and cream cheese) and pour over the top

-Crock pot vegetarian or low carb  lasagna (3-4 hours - look up recipes online, eggplant, zucchini, green peppers, onions, cottage cheese, marinara (Rao's is very exspensive but only 3 carbs per serving and tastes like my Italian relatives homemade sauce))

-High fat cottage cheese (2% Kemps I buy because it has lowest carbs)

-High fat low carb Greek yogurt (**ahem**e 2% I buy)

-Cheeses that are low are low carb (good with low carb summer sausages for snacks)

-Zucchini strings with spiral or twist cutter (Oxo has nice one for about $12) add with Rao's marinara (3 carbs per serving almost $9 a jar but best tasting and lowest carbs)

-Hamburgers with no bun, add whatever you want that's low carb

-Pickles

-Avocados with salt and a little lime if you like and any other guacamole ingredients If you count carbs)

-Preassure cook chickens or buy precooked, save bones for broth (can make in crock pot)

-Macadamia, Brazilian, Pine nuts

-Strawberries

-Kombucha tea (Probiotics)

**Also always drink lots of water with low carb diets exspecially with very high fat meals! The minimum per day is .5 or 1/2 ounces of water per pound of body weight. So a 200 pound person needs at least 100 fluid ounces. 

These are some of my favorites after a couple of months eating low carb and all these foods work for eating under 20 carbs a day. 

Best Answer

I love my Crock-Pot! So many things can be just thrown into the pot and turned on, very little "cooking" involved.  One of our favorites is to put a very small beef roast into the cooker, add some carrots, a sprinkle of garlic powder and a sprinkle of onion powder, 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce, 1/3 cup reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce, and 1/3 cup water. Let it cook all day, or at least most of it.  The beef (use a lean one) is high protein, and there's no real carbs in it at all. The carrots are complex carbs, and unless you're Bugs Bunny, you won't eat enough of them to worry about even counting the carbs. Serve with a salad!  

I have 2 slow-cooker cookbooks with lots of low carb main dishes: Fix It and Forget it Lightly, and Fix It and Forget It Diabetic Cookbooks. Love them! 

Donna 

Best Answer
0 Votes