Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low carb intake

Hi, Is there a way to adjust your food intake to a low carb diet, I have type 2 Diabetes and a fatty liver. So my Dr. recommended a low, low carb intake. I also know there is difference in Net carbs vs regular carb intake Can anybody help me ?

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Hi Cricket1315,

I did a very low carb diet recently and found it pretty easy to stick to once I got the hang of it. The toughest part is realizing that carbs are in just about everything. Here are they key things I took away:

- Avoid sugar. Sugar is a carb, so when you think you're being good by picking that apple instead of the granola bar you want, you have to remember that the natural sugars in the apple are ALLLLL carbs. And really look into the dressings and sauces you put on salads/foods - there's usually a lot of sneaky added sugar in those you don't realize! If you're craving something sweet, find an artificial sweetener you like, I liked liquid stevia but taste as you add it because it's strong!

- Avoid grains. Simply put, grains like bread, pasta, granola, oats, etc are all carbs. Some are better than others, but I tried to limit them altogether since I found myself misjudging the amounts I was eating.

- Non-starch veggies. Go crazy with leafy greens. I found a few salads that I LOVED and ate consistently because I knew they weren't going to drive my carbs up. Some good veggies other than greens: Broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini, cauliflower, cucumber, Brussels sprouts, celery, tomatoes, onions, eggplant, etc

- Find high protein foods that you like and eat those. You'll feel full longer and they're generally low in carbs. Poultry, fish, eggs, greek yogurt (unsweetened of course!), etc.

- Lastly - don't completely hold back. Find good alternatives to things you love and crave, but indulge every once in a while. No one is perfect and we all have a day we really want that piece of chocolate. As long as it's not a habit, you're doing just fine!

Hope this helped!

Best Answer

Oh! And as for net carbs vs. total carbs. Net carbs is just the total carbs in a food with the total fiber subtracted. So something with a label that says 10g carbs, but 7g of fiber is 3g of net carbs but 10g of total carbs. Ask your doctor if he/she wants you looking into net or total carbs and go from there 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks so much for the advice. Being of Japanese ethnicity I crave my rice and I grew up with an Italian chef as a father and also love my pasta. I will try my best to stay away for both but, I make "NO" promises... 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Being French I go by « Eat of everything in moderation » so variety, freshness is the rule. I am happy to report I lost 5 kg since Jan 29, so in a little over 2 months just by balancing the calories in / calories out. No more joint pains and more energy all round.
My friend is diabetic and needs to control the carbs, not fun !!!!!!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

When you don't get enough carbohydrates, the level of sugar in your blood may drop to below the normal range (70-99 mg/dL), causing hypoglycemia. Your body then starts to burn fat for energy, leading to ketosis.

Best Answer
0 Votes