Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oral allergies 🙄

I’ve had an apple oral allergy since my late teens.  It took years of thinking I was reacting to “pesticides” before i was diagnosed with OAS.  I apparently have pretty serious tree pollen allergies, birch in particular.  That was fine, I stopped eating raw apples.  No big deal.  Then about a year ago my allergies really “bloomed” (haha) and now I can’t eat raw:

carrots*

celery*

apples (still, of course)

soy milk*

green beans

cherries

peaches

coconut milk (weird??)

possibly hemp hearts and peppers (sheesh!)

and probably other things I’m forgetting at the moment.

*these all cause more serious throat and gut symptoms—fun

I am now on allergy shots in hopes that I AT LEAST will stop developing new allergies and maybe one day will be able to eat a raw apple again.

Anyone else dealing with this?  Not being able to eat apples, carrots, or celery is pretty limiting when trying to lose weight!   I’ve been eating brown rice cakes as a substitute to put hummus/peanut butter, etc, on, but would really rather be eating a fruit or vegetable.  All I can think of are cucumbers and they’re not exactly ideal. Is there a “neutral” fruit/vegetable I’m not thinking of that can substitute?

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

@Mothrasue,

I don't have allergies, but I do have some information that might help.

Go to this website and print the page. Circle the foods you are allergic to and don't eat anything in the column. When you are done, you will have a few columns you can eat out of.

You can eat rice cakes and peanut butter, so stick with this to get calories to find fruits and vegetables. Add a small amount of one fruit or vegetable. If there is no reaction, try a little more the next time. If there is a reaction, cross that column off your list and try another vegetable from a possibly safe column.

After some experimenting, you should be able to find a varied diet.

Let me know how it goes.

Best Answer

That webpage is really cool, thanks!  I will take a look and see how it goes and let you know.  🙂

Best Answer

@Mothrasue wrote:

Anyone else dealing with this? 

Not currently.  Once I went out with  someone who had an oral allergy.  Or so she claimed.

Best Answer
0 Votes