Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pasta servings

Does anybody know how to measure pasta servings? 

I don't know if I've have one, two or three servings of linguine. I just make the whole box for the family and then measure mine out on the food scale already cooked.

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

check the box and see how big a serving size is.

Best Answer

When I make pasta for myself, I use 60 grams of dry pasta. I find it’s the right amount for me (I’m not a big guy, 174cm/65kg, and I’m pretty active, so not afraid of storing carbs as fat, they just fuel my activity). Just checked on my Barilla spaghetti package and they suggest 85 grams as an example of a portion.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Just do a one-time experiment.

Measure out the dry weight of a portion as @Dominique and @Lily-Mari suggest, and cook it in a separate pot. Then you can either weigh the cooked portion and write it down (varies a lot depending on how soft you make it), or simply 'eye-ball' the amount for future reference.

Keep in mind pasta is one of those fat-builders..unless you are a burner like Dominique, an excess portion can work against weight loss. Consider half a suggested 'serving size' if body fat is an enemy 🙂

Best!  Rob

Warner Baxter won Best Actor 1930 for "In Old Arizona"
Best Answer
0 Votes

I like that idea. I will try that. Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

after you know what size a serving is then you can decide how many servings it will take to feed you. no need to measure out your families portion as they are not trying to lose weight/track foods.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you are eating out it will be difficult, its not like you will bust out a scale in a restaraunt (I mean technically you could). 

Here are the aproximations I have found looking through some diabetic sites:

• Fist = 1 cup
  • Palm of hand = 3 ounces
  • Entire thumb = 1 tablespoon
  • Tip of the thumb (to the first knuckle) = about 1 teaspoon

***Remember this however these are aproximations. It is up to you to refine your aproximation skills. You can do this by at first using your scale to measure the food precisly and then comparing to your hand/body part. You may have large hands for example and a 3oz portion size of meat may not be the size of your palm. I have gotten down to where I can pretty closely estimate the sizes. 

Why is it important for you to do this when you have a scale? Because you may not have that scale with you all the time. Sure you can take a break from your diet, but some people cannot. For someone with diabetes this is the case. My sister has diabetes and her estimation skill is very good. She cannot just take a break from her disease. And while technically she could eat whatever she wants, she still has to be fairly accurate to know how much insulin to give herself. Her habit formed out of neccesity, and I observed and have tried to copy and refine it myself. Not because I have diabetes but because I have always struggled with being a bit overweight and I knew the one area I struggled with was portion control. 

Best Answer

I am learning measuring via measuring cup versus scale. Basically what I come up with is if measuring dry contents, use a scale, if wet use a cup. When I weighed one serving of dry penne on the scale, cooked it and weighed it again, it was double in weight. My problem was what method to use to measure. Via cup, scale or cups. Measuring liquid or dry does matter what method you use to measure. Now what I'll do is measure out one or two servings for myself first, cook it and measure it again and write down what the weight is. That way I know how much to serve myself when the whole pot is in my face. Haha. 

And I will take a mental picture with my minds eye for when I am at a restaurant.

Thanks  all Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Can you help me? I am an ordinary housewife and constantly cook for my family. The only thing I don't get is the dough. I can't make it aerial. The dough turns out to be firm.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The most straightforward approach to allot an ideal single serving of pasta is to utilize the gap in the focal point of your pasta spoon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for these tips, guys.

Best Answer
0 Votes