Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preworkout food

What is a good prework out food or protein to have before a run?

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Something that is edible, located near you, and available prior to the start of your run.

Best Answer

Peanut butter is a good preworkout  protein. But if you are trying to loss weight its best not to eat until after your work. About 25 to 35 calories if you need a little energy for your run.

Best Answer

You don’t specifically need protein before running. What you do need is stored energy, which would come mostly in the form of carbohydrates. Unless you’re taking part in an exceptionally long run (e.g. a marathon race), you most likely have a sufficient amount of energy from your last meals, even if they were consumed several hours before your run. Most of us also have enough body fat that can be tapped as fuel if needed.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I agree with @Dominique that you don't need to eat before a workout.  However, because I eat a fairly large breakfast (600 - 1000 calories depending on whether I am trying to gain, maintain, or lose weight), I tend to split it into before and after workouts on days I lift weights in the morning.  As an example, I almost always have some plain whole fat yogurt with frozen berries and about 30 grams of protein from unflavored whey protein for part of my breakfast.  On weight-lifting days I will  have that and some coffee before going to the gym.  After the workout I'll have the rest of my breakfast, which might be a couple of eggs scrambled with veggies mixed in, or instead maybe some steel cut oats, cranberries and walnuts, and some veggies on the side.

That said, if you are going on a loooong run, (several hours), and you are not keto-adapted, you might want to eat some carbs along the way.  I was on a 50 mile organized bike ride yesterday and my body was quite happy for the banana quarters and small hand full of animal crackers it got at hours two and three!  (if you are keto-adapted, I defer to @Daves_Not_Here's sage advice on fueling through long bouts of exercise.  Nuts, maybe?).

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@Baltoscott -- thanks for callout on Keto adaptation.  BTW, the OP has never logged back in since her first "should I breath air while exercising" post, so we're just talking amongst us girls.  By hey, I'll weigh in, at the risk of growing hair on my palms and going blind.

For the Keto-adapted, the most important things to eat before a workout are minerals, particularly sodium.  I have chicken broth.  And if there will be anaerobic intensity (hill climbs, sprints, weights), it helps to get low-glycemic-load carbs.  Which supposedly, theoretically, speculatively, possibly, quite likely, maybe can allow you to burn glycogen while still metabolizing fat at a higher rate than for someone who is not Keto adapted.  I've been experimenting with UCan "Superstarch" which either works great or is an awesome placebo.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you are talking a work out run, not a marathon or some other form of long distance running, you actually shouldn't eat because you run the risk of feeling sick if your breathing goes wonky. I run in the morning. I eat breakfast and I clean up, read the news, get my sneakers and then head out. My breakfast is fruit and one waffle with a huge cup of water and a bigger cup of coffee. By the time I am done, I am ready for a shower and lunch. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer