Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protein VS. Carbs nutrition facts on the food section doesn't make sense

ANSWERED

I don't know if somebody raised this issue in this forum before, but...

I started yesterday to log in the food in the app and I noticed that the nutrition facts for dairy products are showing more carbs per 100 gr than protein. This is different than what I see on the product label.

It even happens for 3% plain milk!

Have you encountered it? Now the app doesn't show me the correct % of carbs and protein, which is the reason I started using it.

Does someone has an idea?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I think it’s a case of the particular food you’re eating (Dannon 3% plain yogurt) not matching the similar, generic food in Fitbit’s database. If you are eating it on a regular basis, you can add it to the database. People also say the food database in MyFitnessPal is much larger than in Fitbit. For instance, it would appear your yogurt is found there:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/danone-danone-probiotic-3-plain-yogurt-623644351

(Note that "Dannon" is the spelling used in the US, elsewhere it’s "Danone").

However, many entries in MyFitnessPal are contributed by users, which means 1) there can be duplicates, 2) there can be erroneous entries.

My own yogurt ("Milbona Greek Style Yogurt 2%", from Lidl, a German discounter) – also found in MyFitnessPal – has yet a slightly different nutritional profile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/milbona-lidl-greek-style-yogurt-2-vet-2041-6690-577314066 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

@Daria39,

Great question! I think I have a great answer for you. Go to this post and scroll down to my post made yesterday (4/21/18). You will see an analysis of milk nutrition. Feel free to join us in that topic if it might suit your needs. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for the feedback.
I saw the charts and explanations, and I think I need to read it a few
times more in order to really understand it and make good use of it.
I Appreciate you taking the time to help me.

--
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Daria39 wrote:

I started yesterday to log in the food in the app and I noticed that the nutrition facts for dairy products are showing more carbs per 100 gr than protein. This is different than what I see on the product label.

Can you provide a couple of examples with: 1) what you see in the app, 2) what you see on the product label? There are more carbs than protein in all the milks variants I’m familiar with. Only exception is the lactose free sort, but they can’t call it "milk" in the EU. Maybe you had a misconception milk always contains more protein than carbs?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer
0 Votes
Dear Dominique,

Thank you for taking the time to help with this.
One example I had now near me, at work is a Yogurt cup.

I ate 3% plain yogurt of Dannon. The cup is 150 grams. According to the
nutrition facts on the cup:
Calories: 101 (kcal)
Protein: 8.0 grams
Carbs: 7.2 grams (out of it, sugars: 3.9 grams)
fat: 4.5 grams (out of it, saturated fat: 3.0 grams).

In the app I found Yogurt, all natural, plain
Calories: 100 (kcal)
Protein: 8.0 grams
Carbs: 12.0 grams (out of it, sugars: 12.0 grams)
fat: 2.5 grams (out of it, saturated fat: 1.5 grams)

Looking for other yogurt cups showed the same 3-4 grams difference in favor
of carbs in all the examples I checked.

I looked back to the milk cardboard box and I saw that the carbs are
slightly higher, so you're right about that and I need to watch my milk
consumption.

Looking forward for clarification.
Thank you.

--
Best Answer
0 Votes

I think it’s a case of the particular food you’re eating (Dannon 3% plain yogurt) not matching the similar, generic food in Fitbit’s database. If you are eating it on a regular basis, you can add it to the database. People also say the food database in MyFitnessPal is much larger than in Fitbit. For instance, it would appear your yogurt is found there:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/danone-danone-probiotic-3-plain-yogurt-623644351

(Note that "Dannon" is the spelling used in the US, elsewhere it’s "Danone").

However, many entries in MyFitnessPal are contributed by users, which means 1) there can be duplicates, 2) there can be erroneous entries.

My own yogurt ("Milbona Greek Style Yogurt 2%", from Lidl, a German discounter) – also found in MyFitnessPal – has yet a slightly different nutritional profile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/milbona-lidl-greek-style-yogurt-2-vet-2041-6690-577314066 

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes