Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduce your sugar

sugar causes energy ups and downs and can add to health and weight problems. unfortunately, reducing the amount of candy, cakes, desserts we eat is only part of the solution. often you might not even be aware of the amount of sugar you're consuming each day. large amounts of added sugar can be hidden in foods such as bread, canned soups and vegetables, pasta sauce, margarine, instant mashed potatoes, frozen dinners, fast food, soy sauce, and ketchup. make sure to avoid sugary drinks and eat naturally sweet food such as fruit, peppers, etc. sugar is also hidden in food labels. the terms used are: can sugar or maple syrup, corn sweetener or corn syrup, honey or molasses, brown rice syrup, crystallized or evaporated cane juice, dextrose, fructose, glucose, maltose, sucrose, fruit juice concentrates.

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Welcome to the Community forums, @KeepPushing

It's a very great topic, I know many people who are not aware that sugar is present in many of the foods we have available around us everyday, so it's very important to be informed about all these foods that have a tremendous amount if sugar in them, especially if we're looking to loose some weight or have other fitness goals. 😁

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

Definitely true!! I have a sweet tooth and have been having a hard time controlling it. I started to gradually replace my fruit juice intake with water and so far getting results. Maybe soon I'll replace chocolates with saltine crackers. Who knows

Best Answer

It's definitely challenging, @healthy2022! Let us know how it goes! 😁

Best Answer

Will do! I've bought blood sugar testers off of amazon as well. I've seen how diabetes works; really a hard life to live. Gotta avoid it as soon as now!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, definitely @healthy2022! My mom was told by her doctor a few months ago that she had Prediabetes. It turned out to be a wrong diagnosis, but definitely scared her and she's been reducing the consumption of added sugar. I've learned from that experience as well. 😁

Best Answer

Oh, @healthy2022! Saltines for chocolate would not work for me. I addressed the chocolate problem this way. I have one small serving, once a day of very good, expensive chocolate. And I was able to train my taste buds to appreciate the darker chocolates. It’s my after dinner treat. I take my time with it … allowing it to melt slowly in my mouth … savoring the flavor. I’ve gotten to the point where I actually prefer the good, dark chocolate over the super sweet milk chocolate. 

Best Answer

I am doing the same process currently, since a month.

I reduced added sugar a bit in the last few years by reducing pre-ready meals but still had some through various sauces, pastries, bread and specially cereals. I cut most of them (although still have the occasional pastry) and now have home made sauce and unsweetened cereals or plain oatmeal. I also dramatically reduced energy bar made of dried fruits (sugar is not added but it is highly concentrated), smoothies and juices (same problem). I increased my fat intake to compensate (raw nuts mostly, a bit more avocado). We will see the effect. I do not expect to lose weight (I am thin already) but maybe this will have other impact. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey guys! I would like to take part. Definitely the reduction of sugar consumption has a great influence in your health. I try using honey instead. With chocolate I eat a little square of a 70% cacao bar. This helps with the cravings. Cacao is a great source of energy and also has healthy fats. However, it is not to be abused. I also have cacao nibs. THE BEST way to start my day. These are my preferred choice. More you can find out here: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/cacao-nibs. I usually take one nib and take small bites during the first hour after I get up from bed. I feel the energy boost that it gives me. This nib in combination with fruit will help you with start your day fresh. I guarantee it. 

Hope you have a great day, 

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes