Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sodium and Water intake

ANSWERED

Hello everyone,

I have been drinking about 2 gallons a water a day and was curious if I would need to increase my intake of sodium because of that. I know the recommended amount of sodium is 2300mg a day and I have been hovering around 1500-2000mg a day. I am unsure if there is in fact a correlation between the two but I wanted to seek out opinions on this matter.

Does more water mean I should take in more sodium?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It depends on how active you are and your diet. People who are more active may require more sodium but eating a diet with a lot of vegetables will balance out your sodium levels because of the potassium in them. Most people don’t get enough potassium so they tend to hold on to more water weight because of the sodium that isn’t being flushed out. Drinking more water doesn’t necessarily mean you need more sodium.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

It depends on how active you are and your diet. People who are more active may require more sodium but eating a diet with a lot of vegetables will balance out your sodium levels because of the potassium in them. Most people don’t get enough potassium so they tend to hold on to more water weight because of the sodium that isn’t being flushed out. Drinking more water doesn’t necessarily mean you need more sodium.

Best Answer

Hello WheresTheBeef and thanks for replying to my question. My main concern with my current water intake is Flushing out anything essential.

So I suppose my next question to be is there anything essential being flushed out due to the amount of water I am currently drinking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope. Your body will use what it needs. Anything it doesn’t need will be flushed out through urine or the bowels.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the thorough response. Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes