Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steak

ANSWERED

I love Steak and i see The Rock Dwayne Johnson eats a steak everyday. Is steak really that bad for you if your working out a lot?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@bcruikwrote:

I love Steak and i see The Rock Dwayne Johnson eats a steak everyday. Is steak really that bad for you if your working out a lot?

Eating an single food item (whether it’s a steak, a slice of cheesecake etc.) and performing a single activity (whether it’s spending 30 minutes on a treadmill, lifting weight for an hour etc.) isn’t what really matter for health and weight management. What matters is everything else you’re doing during the day. For weight management: does your total energy expenditure match your total dietary intake during the day? For health: do you eat a balanced diet that provides you with all the nutrients you need, but without exceeding your caloric requirement. Dwayne Johnson is 196 cm/118 kg (6’ 4 / 260 lbs). His caloric requirement most likely can’t be compared to yours, unless you have a similar build, including muscle mass.  

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

@bcruik, steak has never been bad for me - I've eaten it all my life, and made it to healthy 3/4ths of a century.  Of course, you will get many different opinions here ranging from total vegans to total meat lovers, so be prepared!  Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am sure I will and looking forward to the opinions. Thank you for the feedback.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have steak, and other red meats. I just limit them. I also buy the leaner cuts.

Nothing is bad  unless you over consume them.

But like stated above there are differences

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@bcruikwrote:

Eating an single food item (whether it’s a steak, a slice of cheesecake etc.) and performing a single activity (whether it’s spending 30 minutes on a treadmill, lifting weight for an hour etc.) isn’t what really matter for health and weight management. What matters is everything else you’re doing during the day. For weight management: does your total energy expenditure match your total dietary intake during the day? For health: do you eat a balanced diet that provides you with all the nutrients you need, but without exceeding your caloric requirement. Dwayne Johnson is 196 cm/118 kg (6’ 4 / 260 lbs). His caloric requirement most likely can’t be compared to yours, unless you have a similar build, including muscle mass.  

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

@bcruik,

There are many anecdotal experiences where people live a long time while on a poor diet. Keep in mind, the dead people aren't here to relate their experiences.  They ignore the concept of probabilities. 

I'm going to make one declarative statement, and then send you to sources. 

There is one ratio that predicts the probability of a person having one of the 15 most common degenerative disease. (Degenerative diseases are those not caused by bacteria or viruses.)

That ratio is amount animal foods eaten to plant foods eaten. This relationship goes all the way to zero. It assumes no meatless junk food and no added oils.

Go to Amazon and buy the books by these nutritional giants who have been publishing for 40 to 50 years. (Not in order by my preference.) They also have YouTube videos if you prefer them. (I'm not sure about Ken Cooper.

McDougall, Esselstyne, Ornish, T. Colin Campbell, Pritikin, Ken Cooper, Gregor

Best Answer

Most foods are okay in moderation.  I like to hedge my bets with food and try to eat a big variety.  Last night I had tofu and ground beef, this past weekend I had 3 meals with fish, Sometimes I skip a meat altogether.  I think it is more important to increase fruit and vegetables and whole grains than to focus on one single food item.  

I read Adel has tea and honey daily.  If I have it, I would still sing the same as I sang before having what she has.  

Best Answer

I’m definitely with @MagsOnTheBeach on this one. Some animals are (almost) exclusive carnivores, others are exclusive herbivores and the human species has evolved to be omnivorous. A balanced diet is more likely to be more nutritious than one that eliminates and/or demonizes entire food groups. One is also more likely to adhere to a diversified diet than to a monotonous one.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MagsOnTheBeachwrote:

I think it is more important to increase fruit and vegetables and whole grains than to focus on one single food item. 

I agree. It is important to have a variety which neither focuses on a single type of food, nor eliminates a single type of food.  I can increase fruits & vegetables (especially in the summer when the garden is producing) without eliminating meat & dairy.  I am more focused on the balance of carbs/fats/protiens than some special diet, and it doesn't even take a series of videos or books to accomplish my goals.

Best Answer
0 Votes