Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sugar Addiction

I have a pretty bad sugar addiction! What are some healthy alternatives and your go to's when you just need something sweet, salty, or crunchy??

Best Answer
14 REPLIES 14

I like almonds, usually raw and unsalted.  A dozen will usually satisfy me when I need a little something.  However if I am truly hungry from not eating or eating too little that won’t do it.

Best Answer

Everytime I see "sugar addiction", the following post by Dr. Spencer Nadolsky comes to mind:

http://drspencer.com/addictive-foods/

As you yourself suggest in the body of your post, it’s not just sugar that’s "addictive". It’s the combination of sugar, fat, starch and salt that results in "hyperpalatable" foods. I’d suggest using tips 1 and 2 in his list, but not 3 (because I hate the idea of treating eating disorders with chemicals).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

For something sweet, I will have a sugar-free chocolate pudding or a chocolate fairlife high protein shake (150 calories/30g protein). 

For salty and crunchy, I go for parm crisps. They are so good! I can eat 12 crisps for 100 calories and 9g of protein. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was pretty hooked on snack foods and started preparing meals in advance that I kept to on a regular basis. I found a few vegetables like butternut squash and sweet potatoes satisfy the sweet craving but I incorporated them into meals with Quinoa , kale ,cabbage etc that fill you up and give you nutrients, so I wasn't craving food non stop….

Best Answer
0 Votes

A couple dates do the trick for me.  My nutritionist also suggested taking a sip of vinegar when the sugar craving hits - snaps you right out of it.  Raw Ume Plum Vinegar.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I remember I used to drink a lot of soda in the past, but I slowly managed to stop. It's always a slow process for me, but motivation is the key. I needed to have a clear goal so I could resist the temptation of drinking soda 😁

I tried replacing sodas with some other (not so damaging) options like juice and 0% calorie beverages (supposedly), and as time went by I finally felt I no longer needed to have that Coke or Pepsi with my lunch. I didn't really have any problem to leave those other beverages, I only needed to remove the soda completely. 😀

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

I feel you. I am a sweet tooth and because of that I started to have some pimples on my back and shoulders. Since I can't exclude sweets from my life I changed it into healthy sweets like fruit chips, different nuts, almond milk.

Best Answer

I eat Cauliflower crackers for salt cravings, and I use Stevia/Monk Fruit sweeteners for sweet alternatives. I add honey when drinking tea and coffee. And then there's chocolate protein powder for my chocolate cravings.

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community @lili_ana @ketofoodistcom

Cauliflower crackers, fruit chips, different nuts and honey seem like excellent alternatives, thank you for sharing those 😎

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have not personally tried this but I read from a healthy eating website that if you eat some green beans, drain a can and pop a few in your mouth, it can stop sugar cravings almost instantly. Apparently there's a phytochemical in green beans that stop the cravings. Hope it works for you.

Best Answer

That's an interesting technique @Drumbob  😱, thank you for sharing! 

Let me know if you're ever able to test it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Try to eat more protein w each meal. Especially breakfast. 

Best Answer

Excellent @Getherdone! What are your preferred protein sources? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Humus... eggs... turkey pepperoni. 

Best Answer
0 Votes