Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks for a great app. Love the "Create a new food" feature in the PC App.

I have been entering my private recipes into FitBit using the "Create a new food" feature in the PC Food Log. Here is my procedure.

1. I list all ingredients and their quantities in a spreadsheet program. I place the number of servings in a separate cell.

2. I convert all quantities into grams. There is two ways to do this, weigh each ingredient as you dump it it into the mixture. The other way is to search the internet for estimated answers.

3. Create a new column and label  it "grams/serving."

4. Create formulas in the cell referencing the total weight (relative reference) divided by the number of servings cell(absolute reference.)

5. copy the formula to the rest  of the ingredients. You now have the weight in grams of each ingredient.

6. Click on "Create a new food" in the Food Log page.

7. Enter each ingredient, use the gram weight for how much.

8. Enter a single meal for when. (must be no other foods on this meal)

9. When all the ingredients are entered, simply scroll down to that meal and all of the Macro-Nutrients will be totaled for the "meal," but that is the recipe we are working he recipe for a single serving.

10. Now transfer all of the data from the tabulated ingredients to the new food, and place this food in the snack time just following the "meal" you prepared.

There is your recipe now in the data base ready to use.

A big thank you to the team that programed that feature. It works great.

My reason for going to all of this work, is this; I have Parkinson's Disease. My pill list is getting longer with each passing year. My Neurologist and his assistant are encouraging me to go on a strict low carbohydrate. "Ketogeneric" diet. Here I am, a "Baby Boomer" fresh out of the "get the fat out" era talking about the exact opposite. My favorite foods, chocolate chip cookies, lasagna and ice cream are all going away. I am putting together a whole new cook book with the help of the Food Log.

Gary

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

This is great information! Thanks for sharing!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I'm brand new here, but a home cook and fitness fan.  Wow, thank you for mapping out your process.  I am not really looking forward to all of that for the variety of recipes I like to cook, but, I will probably sloooowly pursue doing so.  BTW, if you and your household cook for yourselves, you might want to check out some of the recipe apps around.  I use and love something called Plan to Eat, where you can enter your recipes and tweak them as you experiment.  It helps me shop, and I have been able to cut-and-paste with some degree of success into recipe analyzers when logging what I am eating in FitBit logs.

I really don't like eating out as much as cooking and eating meals at home!  So a lot of the food choices already in the app aren't of interest to me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here I'm so excited to be here 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can add me up on hangout sansandrabill1212@gmail. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

While it’s great that you found a work around. I find Fitbit to be lacking in many ways. This is definitely one of them. It’s supposed to make counting calories and macros easy. It doesn’t unless you eat nothing but packaged food and even then lots of items are incorrect and I have to create the food entry anyway. I have to use another fitness app to count macros and nutrients. One that makes recipes easier  to add. I’ve also noticed that Fitbit is not set up correctly. When adding 2 servings of an item, it does not double  your macros like it should. For them to be a top fitness gear app, I’m very disappointed that free apps work much better. 

Best Answer

As a 82 years old who never paid attention to calories and now wanting to regain mobility I find the Fitbit ap motivating. I know that numbers can only be approximations. I agree with you that it is challenging for someone eating organic food and avoiding package products.

Best Answer
0 Votes