Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for salty cravings?

Does anyone have any useful tips for getting away from those yummy, salty, crispy chip cravings. I can stay away from every bad food out there except chips, and it is ridiculous. I don't buy them, but I do live in a house with 5 other people that do. I have tried snacking on healthier salty snacks, I have tried keeping busy, I have tried the water and wait method, and nothing seems to get rid of it. Any tips would be very appreciated!

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

Hi, drinking more water helps to keep the cravings more a bay. Also, you can substitute the chips, for banana chips, which is salt and healthier, but you can't go crazy on them, because they still have a lot of oil to crisp them up!

Best Answer

I have a 34oz bottle with me everywhere I go because I was always craving something either sweet, savory or BOTH! I used to always think I was hungry but I was really just thirsty. Drinking water helps keep you hydrated and feeling full. Hope this helped.

Best Answer

First of all, it’s normal to have all sort of cravings while dieting down to a lower weight. You just have to play your cards right to make the most out of the (limited) amount of food you can eat.

I believe you’re not craving specificall for salt (or sugar), but rather for a mix of fat, starchy carbs and salt/sugar, as explained in this blog post about "addictive foods" by Dr. Spencer Nadolsky. The yummy chips you are craving fit exactly that profile.

My solution is to include something fatty and salty in the meals I’m eating (as opposed to trying to finding snacks between meals). For instance, I’ll add a few slices of cheddar to my fried eggwhites (which are otherwise pretty tasteless):

IMG_20180824_122250433.jpg

Likewise, I’ll also add a few slices to a piece of rye bread (also quite salty) with salad leaves and tomato:

IMG_20180824_132437687.jpg

I have four meals a day, so the time between meals is short enough I can manage to wait until the next meal without having to snack.

I do the same with the sugary stuff: get it in the form of real food (fruits) during meals, as explained in this older post. This way I don’t need to snack on cookies, chocolate bars etc.

As to water, I believe it’s important to drink enough of it, but it’s not the solution to cravings for salty/sugary stuff. Water is tasteless, yes, it will help keep you full, but it will not do much for what you’re missing on your palate.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

How about cucumbers and hummus?  It's healthy and it should satisfy your craving!

Best Answer

I also struggle with chips and pretzels.  Kind of a mind game.  I measure out 1/4 c. of unsalted almonds and eat it slowly.  It also gets me to drink more water because it's drier to me.  I don't get the salt but I get the crunch.  Also, I think before I eat and ask..what am I going to do to work off the chips/pretzels?  I also track my food intake and don't want to record it.  My family still wants the chips/pretzels so we buy it - sometimes I've even printed a picture of myself and put it on the bag so I see what I look like.  That's gets me to think twice before consuming.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rybaby I am not a big craver so I don't know exactly what you feel, but, I do know that if I make up my mind that I want a specific thing to eat, there is nothing that will deter me, until I get it. If you crave them, have them. Just be smart about it. Look at what a serving is.. how much in weight and calories and factor that into your day. I am not suggesting to use calories that you would use for nutritious food, I am suggesting calories that you may use for other things.. bread or cheese or dressing or sauce- things that are not bad, but not a great source of nutrients. Although.. giving up cheese would be tough.. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@RybabyI too love chips. I have tried many things to kick the habit, even gave them up for lent a few times. I have come to terms that I'm never going to be able to stay away from them 100%, but I am able to control eating them by having other foods, raw almonds aren't salty, but for some reason they will fulfill my need for salt, maybe it's the crunch. I've also made my own chips, sweet potato chips and russet potato chips using way less oil and salt then anything you'd buy from a store. Also, they take a considerable amount of work, so by the time I am finished and can sit down to eat them, I've lost most of the cravenly, perhaps will work for you too. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

Dark rye bread squares with a little sea salt flakes and then put in the oven at 175 degrees Celsius for about 10-15 until they are crispy but not stone hard, it’s really good for your digestion and they taste great!if you’re not too picky about oil, drizzle a little coconut oil over the squares

Best Answer
0 Votes

Put a few Himalayan Pink Salt crystals on your tongue to reduce your cravings.

Best Answer
0 Votes