Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To eat or not to eat...???

I have 781 calories left to eat for the day. Am I hungry? No, not really. Should I still eat something, at least small, to get more calories in? I don't know. Anyone with input on this would be greatly appreciated!

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @CRISSY92 - my recommendation is to not eat if you are not hungry

Best Answer

If your goal is to lose weight then I would not eat. But make sure you don't eat below your BMR levels for an extended period of time.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

I always think about people saying that if you don't eat all you're supposed to, that your body stores fat because it panics thinking you're starving. Don't know how much truth that holds.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CRISSY92 - I hear that often, too.  I'm skeptical.

I think a far bigger problem is that many people tend to eat too much and become overweight.  The idea that eating beyond satiety will lead to weight loss in the long term seems upside down to me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When did you start your weight loss? What calculated deficit did you go for? If you only started recently, I would do as advised by @Daves_Not_Here: if/when in doubt, don’t eat the calories Fitbit says you have left, especially if you’re not hungry. Give it some time to establish (based on how the scale moves) how accurate the logging of your intake and the tracking of your calories burned are.

In order to lose weight, you need to be in a caloric deficit. And when in a caloric deficit, your metabolism will inevitably slow down. By how much depends on several factors, like the size of your deficit, how long you’ve been in a caloric deficit etc. So it’s not like food eaten gets stored as fat (if you are in a deficit, no net storage should occur), but rather your body attempts to save energy by having you not burn as many calories as you otherwise would. You can use your Fitbit to counterbalance that, by making sure you stay active enough (e.g. by hitting a step goal).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes