Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to gain muscle?

So I need advice how can I gain muscle the fastest way ? I asked several people in the gym and they always say "eat more" or "go heavy on lifting machines". However I know you need to maintain both at an equal pace. I also know gaining muscle is a slow progress but is there any way I can speed the process or do I just keep on being consistent and being patient? #help #thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Yes, eating at a caloric surplus provides the optimal conditions for building muscle. In addition to that, you need of course to provide your muscles with a stimulus (e.g. lift weights), eat enough protein, get enough rest to recover, enough sleep, reduce stress.

As to the size of your surplus: as you said, gaining muscle is a slow process, and only a relatively small surplus is needed to provide your muscles the ingredients to grow. Anything on top of that will be stored as fat.

On top of that, the fatter you get, the more difficult it becomes to add more muscle (insulin sensitivity affecting nutrient partitioning), so you have to consider how lean you are when starting out your muscle building journey.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@junirezz wrote:

is there any way I can speed the process or do I just keep on being consistent and being patient? #help #thanks

Aside from finding a quality program you can stick with, no.  Consistency is the most important aspect of gaining muscle.

Best Answer

I just asked basically the same question.  I'm losing muscle and not the fat percent I want - very frustrating!  I'm now 61.  When I was in my 40s I dropped 30 lb. of fat and gained 17 pounds of muscle mass.  I did this by lifting 5 to 6 times a week, alternating muscle groups and cutting my cardio to 20 min, high intensity workouts.  I also did lots of protein, lean carbs like veggies mostly.  I did supplements, which cost me a lot of $s - creatine, protein, and bcaa (branch chain amino acids).  This seemed to help me retain my mass while losing the body fat.  Now I'm no doctor but it worked for me at 40.  Now that I'm 60, I'm struggling to keep the muscle while losing the weight,  And, I can't afford the supplements.  Let me know what you come up with.  It could really help me.  Thanks! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This guy has really good advice in plain speak... I would give this a read... https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/start-here/

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes