Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vegetables and Fruits

ANSWERED

Do you consume vegetables and fruits?

If so, how much (many servings) do you consume on the daily basis?

If not, why don't you consume vegetables and fruits on the daily basis?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Its always a good idea to include fruits and veggies in your daily food choices!

I aim for 5 servings each day, but to get there you have to put in concience effort.

Fruits: Halos (Mandarins), Bananas, Blackberrys, Melon, plums, peaches sometimes strawberry's and/or raspberries 

Vegetables: All kinds of legumes, carrots, onion, bell pepper.

These are just my favorite, experiment and see what you like!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Its always a good idea to include fruits and veggies in your daily food choices!

I aim for 5 servings each day, but to get there you have to put in concience effort.

Fruits: Halos (Mandarins), Bananas, Blackberrys, Melon, plums, peaches sometimes strawberry's and/or raspberries 

Vegetables: All kinds of legumes, carrots, onion, bell pepper.

These are just my favorite, experiment and see what you like!

Best Answer

@jpconway95 I eat mostly plants. 90-97% of my weekly calories intake are plants. I eat meat very rarely and only on certain occasion like for example Xmas dinner a few days ago 🙂 Same about dairy. I can't imagine myself not eating or even not liking veggies and fruits! I eat plants as snacks ( I love to snack on the raw pepper radish ), for breakfast, lunch, dinner - all time! Even if I go for meat it's not a major part of my meal. Plants are. I make juices out of plants too. There are weeks that it doesn't even cross my mind to eat any meat products but I don't consider myself being a vegetarian. I really like the term "plant-based diet" and I stick with it 🙂

Best Answer

I have a lot of veggies but try to have 2 servings of fruit a day.  For some reason, as much as I love fruit, I find it more likely to be forgotten on weekends and holidays.

Best Answer

I don't eat any animal products or added oils such as olive oil.

It's important to eat starchy foods like rice, beans, corn, whole grains, potatoes, etc. Without them, it's not possible to eat enough calories while only eating vegetables and fruits.

Fruits are fine in moderation. Typically, I'll have 3 to 5 servings a day. No juices or smoothies. 

My macros are generally 81% carbs, 6% fats and 13% proteins.

Best Answer
Hi Ive just seen your post as I'm new to the site. I'm having to stop eating meat and reduce my fat as I have high cholesterol. I'm currently just eating fruit and vegetables but I'm struggling to find good receipes could you give me any advice please. I'm allergic to nuts ginger and clove.
Best Answer

@beetle1973

I suggest going to www.drmcdougall.com and looking around there. 

The way of eating in this website is the ONLY way of eating that has been scientifically proven to prevent, arrest and reverse heart disease. Dr. McDougall is one of about 10 well-known doctors passing on the knowledge. I recommend his site as I think he has the best explanations.

You might have seen Forks over Knives. That was Dr. Campbell. 

The way of eating also prevents arrests and often cures all forms of cancer except prostate cancer. 

If you have diabetes, work with your doctor. You may have to adjust the medication in the first few days. Type 2 diabetes is normally cured within two weeks. 

Here is the description:

No animal products. 

No Dairy - Dairy is worse than animal products

No added oils such as olive oils

Minimize processed foods

Eat plenty of starch like oatmeal, rice, potatoes, whole grain breads, beans, corn, peas, lentils, sweat potatoes, etc. These should be the bulk of the calories in your meal.

Non-starch vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, Brussel sprouts, etc.

Up to an ounce (a small handful of nuts) a day.

If you aren't trying to lose weight, up to about 3 or 4 fruits a day.

Info: 

Eat until you are satisfied. There is no need to count calories if you only eat what's on the list

The macros will end up around 80% carbs, 8% fats and 12% protein,

You should see a significant cholesterol drop within two weeks if you don't stray off the plan. 

My personality makes me suggest making the change all at once. There is a good reason for this. The mechanism for many heart attacks starts with a high fat meal. The fat makes the red blood cells stick together and sometimes clog a small blood vessel. This can lead to a clot that goes elsewhere. It happens all the time on Thanksgiving.

In reality, many people change one meal at a time. 

Good luck

Best Answer
Thank you for your advice.
Best Answer

I like to joke that my treat of choice is any combination of chocolate, nuts, and fruit. 

My second favorite is vegetables and hummus.

So for breakfast, I'll spread chocolate nut butter on thin rice/grain cakes and slice a banana. At work, I'll have a couple of clementines and a handful of nuts. 

I often have a frozen dinner for lunch at work or a cup of soup. At dinner I like to have grape tomatoes and celery sticks in hummus with my meal. If I'm going out--usually eating before a game--there's a place that does build-your-own bowls. I get purple rice, bean sprouts, kale, purple cabbage, and carrots with tofu and sauce. Or if we go to Hip City Veg, I sometimes get a salad or a grilled sandwich.

I could probably do better on fruit and veg, but I try.

Best Answer