Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Way of Eating ???

ANSWERED

So my goals are to lose weight ( not too far from my first goal weight ) , build muscle, and tone up.

I was currently doing the low carb way of eating, but lately it's been so hard for me to stay on track. It helped me get over a plateau I experienced, and I want to limit the amount of sugar I take in.

I was thinking of going back to just a healthy way of eating but guess I'm afraid that it'll make me gain weight by adding certain foods back in my way of eating ( fruits, corn, etc) ...

Most of the meals I prep are eventually low carb but I get my moments lately.

Just would like your guys opinion.

I do weight training at least 3 days a week and I do cardio ( either same day on top of weightlifting or just a day of cardio). 

I started doing a protein powder but I take those on weightlifting days. Might try BCAA's in the future. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@crazyqueet wrote:

So my goals are to lose weight ( not too far from my first goal weight ) , build muscle, and tone up.

First, you can't do both.  You can lose weight and try to prevent muscle loss or you can build muscle gain weight (but lose inches).

@crazyqueet wrote:

I was thinking of going back to just a healthy way of eating but guess I'm afraid that it'll make me gain weight by adding certain foods back in my way of eating ( fruits, corn, etc) ...

Focusing on a scale number is the wrong way of tracking what you are doing.  Start tracking measurements (either exact with a tape measure or relative by how clothes fit).

@crazyqueet wrote:

I do weight training at least 3 days a week and I do cardio ( either same day on top of weightlifting or just a day of cardio). 

I started doing a protein powder but I take those on weightlifting days. Might try BCAA's in the future. 

Depending on how you are lifting, you can build strength and size (check The Rock's 30 day challenge) but diet is key.  The PP (assuming Whey) and BCAA's will help with gains and recovery so that's a good start.  

Lastly I would suggest talking about your goals with a personal trainer (sometimes a free consult) and clear up exactly what you are looking for and they may be able to provide a guide to get there.  I would take anything on a message board (including what I've typed) with a grain of salt and seek out the professionals.  

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Diets usually fail in the long term.  They can help us lose weight but when we return to our usual habits the inevitable weight gain follows.  Finding a way of eating (with smaller portions perhaps) might be a better option for you in the long run.  For example, I honestly don't care much about bread and such (don't dislike it, but can take it or leave it).  However, you would have to pry fruits away from me kicking and screaming.  I have nothing against a low carb diet, I just know that I couldn't stick it.  Same with vegetarian options.  They are a perfect option for some, just not me.

So, I put a dozen bagels in the freezer (which I enjoy) but still enjoy healthy servings of fruits and veggies each day.  I don't eat corn or potatoes that often... until the summer comes along and we have fresh, farmed in the area corn.  I make my own fresh pasta (flour, semolina, eggs) and freeze the uncooked pasta to have every now and then.  In reasonable portions you should be able to enjoy a good variety of foods.  I've found a way of eating that I feel I could do forever, so this to me feels right.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

Yeah I don't eat pasta that much, but I do like my corn or potatoes every now and then.

I did good on the low carb lifestyle at one point but lately, it's been so hard and I get moments where I am just starving and eating everything. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@crazyqueet wrote:

First, you can't do both.  You can lose weight and try to prevent muscle loss or you can build muscle gain weight (but lose inches).

@crazyqueet wrote:

Focusing on a scale number is the wrong way of tracking what you are doing.  Start tracking measurements (either exact with a tape measure or relative by how clothes fit).

@crazyqueet wrote:

Depending on how you are lifting, you can build strength and size (check The Rock's 30 day challenge) but diet is key.  The PP (assuming Whey) and BCAA's will help with gains and recovery so that's a good start.  

Lastly I would suggest talking about your goals with a personal trainer (sometimes a free consult) and clear up exactly what you are looking for and they may be able to provide a guide to get there.  I would take anything on a message board (including what I've typed) with a grain of salt and seek out the professionals.  

Best Answer

If you are a beginner to exercise you absolutely can lose weight and gain muscle at the same time.

I think this is helpful as well as the calculator they offer: http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

Best Answer

When I was doing low carb, I was exhausted from doing harder workouts!!  I didn't realize how low of the carbs that I was doing until I started keeping a food journal with myfitnesspal.  I need the carbs for energy!!

Best Answer