Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What counts as water

ANSWERED

I drink fruit tea throughout the day. As a mug contains 5 calories I log these as calories intake. My question is as these are almost 100% water can I  / should I also add them to water intake?
Put another way, is water intake only for plain unadulterated water?
I occasionally have an ordinary cup of tea with semi skimmed milk - the same question arises about this 90% water beverage.

Best Answer
0 Votes
24 REPLIES 24

Hi. I know this is a late response but maybe it can still be helpful.  Fortunately, I love Crystal Springs spring water (also my well water before my well was damaged) and can't tolerate taste or smell of drinking chlorinated water.  For those who can't seem to drink enough plain water might consider adding their favorite flavor of Crystal Light or something similar including already flavored water or tea.  I did this when I was breaking my habit of drinking soda.  Raspberry Lemonade and Raspberry Ice were my favorite flavors and I would freeze them to a slush.  Nowadays,  you won't see me without a bottle of plain water in hand or nearby and I almost always drink at least 2 liters (33.8 oz per liter) of water excluding any coffee or tea I might drink. I hope you've found a solution and that you feel better for it.  ☺

Best Answer

Coffee and tea are mostly water and should be included. Technically the water found in meat, vegetables, potatoes, soups, stews, Etc should all be counted

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Paulmbwrote:

I drink fruit tea throughout the day. As a mug contains 5 calories I log these as calories intake. My question is as these are almost 100% water can I  / should I also add them to water intake?
Put another way, is water intake only for plain unadulterated water?
I occasionally have an ordinary cup of tea with semi skimmed milk - the same question arises about this 90% water beverage.

you can count it as water BUT... look at your ingredients on your tea... is there black tea listed? if there is black tea listed it is caffeinated and hence a diuretic so for every cup of tea that has black tea in it you need a cup of regular water to compensate
this is mainly so your Kidneys function better to help flush toxins out of your body well flush kidneys means your body function better

Using a Charge 2
Always be yourself, Unless you can be WONDER WOMAN, then always be WONDER WOMAN
Best Answer
0 Votes

@kaneohegirl I think not enough research was done. The small amount of caffeine is not enough to dehydrate the body, yes the water in tea and coffee is used by the body. 

What people seem to forget is that their is water in soups. stews, vegitables. meat, potatoes, etc. A low active person can get enough liquid just from the meals and the liquid drank while eating. 

Best Answer

I don't get enough water in the colder months (7/12 in the north east). I agree with flavoring your water. I also use the app Plant Nanny, where reaching your water goals keeps your plant healthy (because I'd hate to see the cute little face die). Another trick I use is to eat spicy food. I already love the heat and I automatically drink a lot of water. I keep red pepper flakes in my backpack for times when I realize I haven't had water in a while but I have no desire to drink. 

Best Answer