Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What easy recipe has a high amount of calories?

ANSWERED

I need I need to eat higher calorie foods, so what are good options? Most importantly I need a high calorie count for Lunch. I tend to eat things with a low calorie count. Any recipe suggestions?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Whole wheat pasta is a great, healthy way to boost the calorie count. Just be careful with the types of sauces you use, as they can be excessive in calories, saturated fat, and sugar. Beans are another healthy way to boost the calorie count, but if you use can beans try to buy low sodium options and rinse them before use to avoid boosting sodium levels. Pasta and Beans are usually my two go-to items if I want to create a higher calorie meal.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Whole wheat pasta is a great, healthy way to boost the calorie count. Just be careful with the types of sauces you use, as they can be excessive in calories, saturated fat, and sugar. Beans are another healthy way to boost the calorie count, but if you use can beans try to buy low sodium options and rinse them before use to avoid boosting sodium levels. Pasta and Beans are usually my two go-to items if I want to create a higher calorie meal.

Best Answer

My favorite high-calorie food is peanut butter: I like to eat it as such with a spoon, so no "recipe" gets any easier Smiley LOL. 100 grams (which is not a lot) gets me almost 600 calories. If you want to go that route, just make sure you’re getting a high-quality product (= the real stuff) with no added salt, sugar, palm oil etc.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Malme84 Thank you! I will have to try rinsing canned beans. And I did not know whole wheat pasta had more calories! Thank you again! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique  Thanks for the peanut butter tip! I will have to try having a spoonful of it! 🥄 🥜

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Book313 wrote:

I will have to try rinsing canned beans.

My suggestion for beans is to buy them dry, because: 1) they’re cheaper, 2) you avoid the sodium and any other undesirable additives, 3) the packaging is more respectful of the environment. All you have to do is plan ahead and soak them in water overnight. In many cases, you can also let them germinate (for a change). But otherwise I agree: beans are great! I’ve never been able to understand why Paleo people don’t like them.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Paler people do not like beans? I have always wondered if beans were in, a paleo diet...

I know that garbonzo (chick peas) beans were good for your health. Hum as is a good way to get a good source of those beans.But...

Question: Is there, any other way to eat chick peas? 

Can I let the beans sit over night in water...?

What are some recommended recipes for chick peas? (besides hummus)

Last but not least, what is your opinion on chick beans?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique

@Dominique wrote:

I’ve never been able to understand why Paleo people don’t like them.

From what I remember, I believe Paleo's adhere to the theory that the Phytic acid in beans inhibits the absorption of the nutrients in beans, and thus lowers their nutritional density. I've never looked into it to see if there is any merit to the claim, but even if there is, I'm with you in thinking beans are great food choice.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Book313

@Book313 wrote:

One thing I enjoy doing is roasting chickpea's on a pan in the oven and then throwing a little seasoning on them; makes a great crunchy snack similar to corn nuts.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Book313 wrote:

Can I let the beans sit over night in water...?

What are some recommended recipes for chick peas? (besides hummus)

Last but not least, what is your opinion on chick beans?

I personally love chick beans (and all other beans as well). Yes: just let the dry beans sit in water. Make sure whatever you use as a container is large enough and put enough water: the beans will absorb a lot of water and will swell. After they have soaked over night, you can cook them in water. The exact time depends on the type of bean, how long you soaked them and how hot the water is. Just check from time to time. If you intend to do hummus or equivalent, it doesn’t matter if you cook them for too long, as you will be crushing them anyway. I often mix several kind of beans together, for instead chick, kidney, black etc. You can get creative with hummus, ful medames etc.

Regarding other ways to eat chick peas: are you familiar with couscous?  It’s a bit of work to prepare a full dish of couscous, because there are so many ingredients (chick peas are a standard item in it). However, it’s easy and you can customize it according to the ingredients you have. There are versions with lamb, chicken, fish or vegetables only. It’s great if you are inviting lots of guess to eat at home. And if you are in America, it’s probably quite exotic and will impress your guests Smiley LOL.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

I Love Chickpeas. I just add some tomatoes and pepper to them.

They are also good roasted

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
  2. Blot chickpeas with a paper towel to dry them. In a bowl, toss chickpeas with olive oil, and season to taste with  garlic salt, and cayenne pepper, if using. Spread on a baking sheet, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until browned and crunchy.
Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes