Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best eating plan you've ever followed?

ANSWERED

I'm curious what meal plans have really worked for people. I know everyone's body is different, but I'd like to try something new and I'm wondering what people have had success with. I'm considering the Bright Line Eating Plan—where you don't eat sugar or flour, but you do eat a ton of vegetables, some fruit, protein and fat at each meal.

Best Answer
0 Votes
37 REPLIES 37

@AndyDandyPandy wrote:

Too many people blame fat as the main source of weight gain but it is carb, starch, grains, sugar that makes people unhealthy and fat.

People get overweight neither from eating carbs, nor from eating fat: they get overweight because they overeat calories (in relation to their activity level). It doesn’t matter where those calories come from, if your total intake is consistently 3000 calories, but you only expend 2000 calories, you will gain weight (in most cases, fat).

You managed to find a way of eating that allowed you to lose the weight you’ve gained, that’s fine, but just don’t believe it’s the only way, or the best way. As long as you don’t overeat, you can eat everything (even sugar) in moderation without gaining weight. Crème brûlée, cheesecake or icecream may not be the most nutritious food items there are, and they definitely shouldn’t be the basis of your diet, but as long as they fit within your calorie requirements, they won’t make you fat (even if they contain plenty of refined sugar and other "bad" carbs).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Dominique wrote:
As long as you don’t overeat, you can eat everything (even sugar) in moderation without gaining weight. Crème brûlée, cheesecake or icecream may not be the most nutritious food items there are, and they definitely shouldn’t be the basis of your diet, but as long as they fit within your calorie requirements, they won’t make you fat (even if they contain plenty of refined sugar and other "bad" carbs).

You are right, @Dominique, this is where most diets fail that cause weight gain. People tend to forget that some of their favorite foods, such as cheesecake or ice cream, are laden with calories and a smaller portion of it will have significant impact on their day's caloric intake. I often hear people refer to "empty calories" when referring to some snacks, but they fail to realize that a calorie is a calorie no matter its source. It may not be the most nutritious calorie or have very little nutritious value, or it may be a vegan-based calorie or a animal-based calorie, but it is still a calorie.  A balanced meal with portion control and exerise......a long term plan for a healthy life.

Best Answer
no dairy
Best Answer

I used a nutritional cleansing program.  I tried EVERYTHING to lose weight and had little to no success.  Even with restricting my calories, cutting sugar etc I couldn't lose anyof the excess fat.  Within about 4 days of starting this system I had already released some weight, but the most exciting part is the ENERGY I suddenly had, I was also sleeping better and just fell all around great.  I honestly had no idea it was humanly possible to feel THIS GOOD!!!! I still follow the same system,  it has been over 3 years now and I have maintained my weight loss with ease.  I have not given up any of my favourite things, I still eat chocolate (every day!) I still drink wine, I still eat carbs (they are brain food!!)  I released a total of 60 lbs and more than 6 feet from my body (I am only 5'7!!)

Best Answer

Thank you for all your responses! Ha, if anything, we can be pretty clear that all bodies respond differently to food. Here's something I posted on another thread (FEB. 14th Challenge): I've decided to follow guidelines in the book,"Hormone Reset" by Sara Gottfried, M.D. because I have a feeling my hormones (after menopause), are pretty out of whack (my own intuition and I took the assessment in her book ), and are impacting what my body does with food in a negative way, aka, it's really hard to lose weight even when I exercise a ton. She doesn't think it's as simple as calories in, calories out, especially for women, but believes hormones govern all aspects of fat loss. In order not to shock our bodies too much, she suggests focusing on one of the 7 metabolic hormones every few days and adjusting meal plan accordingly. So, for the next 3 days I'll be focusing on estrogen levels by excluding red meat (I already do that), eating 35 gms vegetables a day (I usually 20-25) keeping carbs under 50grams (I usually eat double that) and 50%of total cals in good fats.(I don't usually eat that much fat, but yay!). So a few manageable tweaks...worth a try for sure.

Here are the results (weight-wise) so far.

Jan 7th: 153.6

Jan 8th: 152.4

Jan 9th: 151.2

I realize this is mostly water, but I'm just so happy to see any movement at all, as I've been really stuck for awhile. Have a healthy Monday, everyone!

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is great @bookseller!!  Adrenal Fatigue can be a bit issue as well. It makes it nearly imposible to lose any weight no matter what you do. I know it was for me.  😉 

Best Answer

@MrsBrown, thank you. How are you managing the adrenal fatigue?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I credit a lot of it to the nutritional cleansing.  Toxins put a lot of stress on our system and our bodies work overtime to try and get things back into balance. One part of the system I use is a nutrient-rich tonic that contains plant-based adaptogens like schizandra, rhodiola, rhodendron, ashwagandha, macaroot and wolfberry, which help support your body’s resistance to the negative effects of stress.  It is called Ionix Supreme.

Best Answer

I see "Ionix Supreme" is part of their $373 30 Day System, which is described as a "cleansing and fat burning “starter pak” ideal for those individuals who want to lose weight using a long-term, flexible program."

When I see this, I really feel sorry for people who spent all that money on whatever comes in those plastic bottles. That money could buy so much real food that have all the nutrients they need.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer
0 Votes

I feel sorry for you.  You are missing out. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here are two reviews of Isagenix by dieteticians:

http://www.evolvedsportandnutrition.com/blog/so-youve-been-approached-by-an-isagenix-representative-...

https://abbylangernutrition.com/ask-the-dietitian-isagenix-fact-or-fiction/

and here is one explaining the monetary aspect of it (multi-level marketing):

https://www.choice.com.au/health-and-body/diet-and-fitness/weight-loss/articles/isagenix

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique I am not going to argue with you about this.  For every article by a dietian you send me I can send you one from health care professionals stating how amazing and beneficial it is.  I have seen it with my own eyes.   I am not telling you that you HAVE TO DO THIS.  I know that everyone is different, and there is no one solution for everyone.  But I DO know that this is healthy, safe, and extremely effective. I am living proof, I lost over 60lbs in less than a year and have maintained for several years, I have coached many many many people to success with this program who have had no success with other programs - even "similar ones that are less expensive" that your article states should "work just as well"  but strangely enough they do not - because the quality is just not there. The topic asked what is the best eating plan you have ever followed and this by far is it.   Thanks for your opinion, but your negativity is not going to effect me.  Have a great day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got off the Whole30 elimination diet. It is similar to the Paleo diet but a little bit stricter. No sugar, alchohol, dairy, bread, grains, or legumes. The premise of the elimation is to get your diet down to the basics, ie. veggies, fruit, meat, poultry or fish. Then after 30 days evaluate yourself and see how you feel. Then slowly bring back the forbidden foods and see how your body reacts. The no sugar made this diet difficult since most items at the store as some sugar added. Sugar from fruit is ok though. I am off of the diet now but frequently go back to  Whole30 day here and there. I watch the sugar, bread and dairy since those are the foods that pack the pounds on. Good luck with whatever plan you decide to try. 

Remember, it shoud be a lifestyle change and not a diet since these rarely work. I am not overweight and am able to keep my weight stable by saying no alot (to the bad foods) and yes to what your body really needs. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, I'm about to go against the grain and say the high carb solution is working miracles for me. It's low fat and plant based (aka: vegan) and I'm seeing crzy results with my weight, my blood tests, my blood pressure. I realize it's a bit restrictive for many people, but I'm sold. (I learned this via books like The Starch Solution and The China Study.)

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MrsHenchy wrote:

Well, I'm about to go against the grain and say the high carb solution is working miracles for me. It's low fat and plant based (aka: vegan) and I'm seeing crzy results with my weight, my blood tests, my blood pressure. I realize it's a bit restrictive for many people, but I'm sold. (I learned this via books like The Starch Solution and The China Study.)

Glad to have some company here. 

Best Answer

Best non-vegan meal plan for me = Tim Ferriss Slow Carb Diet. 6 days a week eat beans, meat/eggs, and vegetables for every single meal. Nothing else- no dairy, sugar, flour, etc. 1 day a week, cheat day- go absolutely crazy if you want, no limits on that day. Simple rules, easy to follow. Most meals I ate half a can of black beans, half a bag of steamed vegetables, and some rotisserie chicken or scrambled eggs. I lost 25lbs in 2 months! 

Best vegan meal plan for me = John McDougall's Starch Solution. For every meal, fill half your plate with starch (rice, potato, sweet potato, beans, corn) and the other half with non-starchy vegetables (steamed, salad, whatever). This is a high-carb, low-fat, whole food vegan meal plan. No oil, animal products, avocados, nuts, or seeds. For snacks and dessert, have fresh or frozen fruit. You can season food with spices, light salt and sugar, and oil-free/fat-free condiments. A typical day for me is: oatmeal with berries, fruit for snack, rice and stir-fry veggies with chili sauce, and/or baked potato with fresh salad, and/or rice with loaded veggie soup. I lost 23 lbs in 3 months! This is by far my lifestyle of choice and plan to continue with this forever. Even got my husband on board. We are eating so much more nutritiously now than ever before, and my IBS is completely gone. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am one month in with Fitbit Charge 3. Discovered the Calories in versus Calories out mantra. Realized I ate three times what I should eat for my height and my age (82) which explained how I found myself obese (let’s not avoid the word). Always was on the thin side so didn’t pay attention to the creeping up kg. Safe I thought by eating a balanced healthy diet. Now aiming to go from 85 kg to 75 kg in the slow lane. Fitbit tells me to cut 250 Calories /day. Very encouraged to see I lost 3 kg in 30 days so staying on course. Eat everything in small quantities and walk.
Best Answer

Thank you for sharing @MoniquehH

It was mind blowing for me as well when I actually started counting calories and logging my food. I was also eating a lot more than what I should have, according to my height and age. 

Having some short and mid term goals will definitely be of help, and counting the calories and having a food plan was crucial for me too a couple of years ago when I lost 30 pounds, it helps to keep the diet a lot more organized. 😀

I don't count my calories anymore, but I do think it taught me a lot of things I wasn't really aware of in the past. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes