Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the Best way to Food Prep for the Week? (Looking for pointers)

ANSWERED

I'm new to the pre-preping for the week to make my food healthier, portion controlled and easy for my busy life.  But I'm struggling with not having boring meals and finding the right kind of containers that aren't extra bulky and hard to clean. And especially not eating the same things over and over again.  Any suggestions?

Best Answer
5 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

I get the Ziploc 3 compartment lunch containers and they are pretty sturdy and have lasted me months.

Similiar to these, I bought them a long time ago and I don't think they make my containers anymore.

First compartment: I usually make 2 chicken breasts boiled or baked, halve them and then take some other lean meat (turkey or low fat roast) and alternate between days. Second compartment: Make enough brown rice or whole wheat pasta to alternate as well. Thrid compartment: ince I'm not big on all the veggies I tend to stick with a salad, broccoli, green beans, or peas as my veggie.  I bring a banana, apple, or some type of fruit along to have a balance. Honestly, there are some weeks I don't want to meal prep so I just set aside some deli turkey, lettuce, low fat cheese and a low carb wrap to bring and pack a greek yogurt. It's hard....hopefully that helps a little!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

Hi @Kbrown2930! Welcome to the forums!

I am BIG into meal prep, and if I don't get it done, we end up eating frozen dinners or takeout -- not good! So planning is key! I always make a spreadsheet with meals for the week and snack options. This might sound limiting but really, if you prep the stuff in advance, you can switch out nights for whatever sounds good at the time.

This is a screenshot of my normal meal plan template, if it helps:

MealPlanScreenshot.JPG

The biggest thing is to be patient during the first few weeks. I have different meals listed for every day, but a lot of them are actually "copies" of other things (they use basically the same ingredients) so you don't end up spending your entire weekend doing prep work. And remember: The crock pot is your friend! If you don't have one, try to get one! They're about $20 from Target, and they will save you so much time! 

Also... Pyrex, Ziploc bags, and plastic containers! Almost every weekday, I bring turkey sausage, apple slices, and half an avocado or some nuts to work. I prep 3 lb of turkey over the weekend (2 lb for sausage for two and 1 lb goes to another recipe), and portion it into Ziploc bags (which I actually wash when I get home so I can reuse them... don't judge! :-P). It only takes about 30-45 minutes in one shot, and stuff like this helps your days go much more smoothly, and during the week, you can actually spend time with family instead of spending all your time in the kitchen.

"You can't out-run your fork!"

Best Answer

@Kbrown2930 Welcome to the Fitbit family! It's lovely to have you here! I agree with @awood08 Bout the healthy bento box lunches! They're amazing to keep rations controlled and they make a really great companion for busy lives! I really liked what @MRose said about planning is the key! You can definitely plan your meals for the week so it's easier and by doing that you'll have time to think about creative recipes or look them up online.

But definitely Bento Boxes are great. These examples may inspire you to make your own creative lunch recipes. Smiley Wink

Bento Box rocks.jpg

another bento.jpg

Thanks for the pointers guys! I'll be trying them myself too. Smiley Happy Hope to see you guys around more often.

Mariam | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer

I work 7-4pm M-F so for me Sunday afternoon is when I pull the entire workweek together.  While the work clothes are in the laundry I put boneless skinless chicken breasts in the oven to bake with spices,   4 breast halves will be more than enough as I use half of a half to go with my salad, and a whole piece for dinner with veggies on 2 other nights.  So laundry and oven are going, I wash all my veggies and make up a salad big enough to get me to Wed lunch.  in the oven goes a crustless quiche made with egg beaters, and veggies. so breakfast is done as well for the week.    i repeat on Wed to get me through Friday and on Sat it is easy to make my food meal by meal for a change up.

Best Answer

I have an insane amount of bento boxes it's not even funny anymore. I shop for groceries once a week and I usually request at the buthcer's to have every meat separated in 1/2 pound packs; I freeze them and defrost when needed. As soon as I'm home I prepare the meat, rice and chop fruit and veggies; the morning after I only have to set it up and add any dairy or sauces to the bento. Smiley Very Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes
22 REPLIES 22

I get the Ziploc 3 compartment lunch containers and they are pretty sturdy and have lasted me months.

Similiar to these, I bought them a long time ago and I don't think they make my containers anymore.

First compartment: I usually make 2 chicken breasts boiled or baked, halve them and then take some other lean meat (turkey or low fat roast) and alternate between days. Second compartment: Make enough brown rice or whole wheat pasta to alternate as well. Thrid compartment: ince I'm not big on all the veggies I tend to stick with a salad, broccoli, green beans, or peas as my veggie.  I bring a banana, apple, or some type of fruit along to have a balance. Honestly, there are some weeks I don't want to meal prep so I just set aside some deli turkey, lettuce, low fat cheese and a low carb wrap to bring and pack a greek yogurt. It's hard....hopefully that helps a little!

Best Answer

Hi @Kbrown2930! Welcome to the forums!

I am BIG into meal prep, and if I don't get it done, we end up eating frozen dinners or takeout -- not good! So planning is key! I always make a spreadsheet with meals for the week and snack options. This might sound limiting but really, if you prep the stuff in advance, you can switch out nights for whatever sounds good at the time.

This is a screenshot of my normal meal plan template, if it helps:

MealPlanScreenshot.JPG

The biggest thing is to be patient during the first few weeks. I have different meals listed for every day, but a lot of them are actually "copies" of other things (they use basically the same ingredients) so you don't end up spending your entire weekend doing prep work. And remember: The crock pot is your friend! If you don't have one, try to get one! They're about $20 from Target, and they will save you so much time! 

Also... Pyrex, Ziploc bags, and plastic containers! Almost every weekday, I bring turkey sausage, apple slices, and half an avocado or some nuts to work. I prep 3 lb of turkey over the weekend (2 lb for sausage for two and 1 lb goes to another recipe), and portion it into Ziploc bags (which I actually wash when I get home so I can reuse them... don't judge! :-P). It only takes about 30-45 minutes in one shot, and stuff like this helps your days go much more smoothly, and during the week, you can actually spend time with family instead of spending all your time in the kitchen.

Best Answer

These are awesome ideas.  I really appreciate the help.  I've been really struggling with my weight and healthy eating for the past few months.  Any suggestions that you have are helpful.  Thank you all so much.

Best Answer

What is your most difficult (and bad-stuff prone) meal of the day? If you start just prepping that one meal this week, and do the others like you normally do, you can add another meal next week and just ease into it to see what works with your schedule and style, and it's less overwhelming that way.

Best Answer

@Kbrown2930 Welcome to the Fitbit family! It's lovely to have you here! I agree with @awood08 Bout the healthy bento box lunches! They're amazing to keep rations controlled and they make a really great companion for busy lives! I really liked what @MRose said about planning is the key! You can definitely plan your meals for the week so it's easier and by doing that you'll have time to think about creative recipes or look them up online.

But definitely Bento Boxes are great. These examples may inspire you to make your own creative lunch recipes. Smiley Wink

Bento Box rocks.jpg

another bento.jpg

Thanks for the pointers guys! I'll be trying them myself too. Smiley Happy Hope to see you guys around more often.

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer

I work 7-4pm M-F so for me Sunday afternoon is when I pull the entire workweek together.  While the work clothes are in the laundry I put boneless skinless chicken breasts in the oven to bake with spices,   4 breast halves will be more than enough as I use half of a half to go with my salad, and a whole piece for dinner with veggies on 2 other nights.  So laundry and oven are going, I wash all my veggies and make up a salad big enough to get me to Wed lunch.  in the oven goes a crustless quiche made with egg beaters, and veggies. so breakfast is done as well for the week.    i repeat on Wed to get me through Friday and on Sat it is easy to make my food meal by meal for a change up.

Best Answer

Thank you so much.  Everyone has given me such great pointers.  I tell you, getting on track with my eating habits have definitely been a chore.  But I refuse to give up.

Thanks again

Best Answer

Thanks mariamfitbit  These pictures definitely inspire me

Best Answer

@Kbrown2930 you're welcome! I defo understand what you say about getting on track with good eating habits. At this point, I feel like I have to choose between what's easy (take-out) and whats right (planning and prep my own meals Cat Very Happy)! Let's go ahead and make the right choice. Cat Tongue

I'm glad to see lots of great pointers guys. Sharing is caring! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't usually have the time to do "full" meal prep, but I do try to buy meats on sale and then cook / freeze so I can pull together quick weeknight meals. 

For example I got chicken breast and ground beef on sale last week.  I cooked ALL of the breast (2 family sized  packages), and 5 pounds of ground meat.  So far I have prepped the following from this meat:

- Lasagna casserole (basically lasagna but using penne instead)

- Beefy cheesy mac.

- Tacos (I add beans/rice to the meat mixture)

- Chicken Stir Fry

- Pasta Primavera

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jabber_wockey wrote:

I don't usually have the time to do "full" meal prep, but I do try to buy meats on sale and then cook / freeze so I can pull together quick weeknight meals. 

For example I got chicken breast and ground beef on sale last week.  I cooked ALL of the breast (2 family sized  packages), and 5 pounds of ground meat.  So far I have prepped the following from this meat:

- Lasagna casserole (basically lasagna but using penne instead)

- Beefy cheesy mac.

- Tacos (I add beans/rice to the meat mixture)

- Chicken Stir Fry

- Pasta Primavera

Those are awesome ideas! I do the same type of thing with Mel Joulwan's hot plates idea, but I'm always running out of ideas so lettuce-taco bowl makes a frequent appearance... >.> Poor hubby.

Just in the interest of full disclosure, I'm totally stealing your lasagna casserole idea and adding zoodles! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with the poster that said "pick your biggest problem meal/area and start with that".

For me and my fiance, it's veggie prep.  We eat salads every night, but find the biggest chore is the cutting of the vegetables for them.  So we chop enough for several days and put in containers.  We just pull out the containers and basically help ourselves to whatever, and however much we want.  It has helped us tremendously.

As for not wanting to eat the same things over and over, start a spread sheet and plan out your month, instead of your week.  Also, it can be the same meat (if you're a meat eater) just cooked a different way.  We take turns, one week my fiance will grill, the next week I'll bake.  We always cook enough for at least 2, often times 3 meals.  We have a busy lifestyle and this helps tremendously.

Good luck!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have an insane amount of bento boxes it's not even funny anymore. I shop for groceries once a week and I usually request at the buthcer's to have every meat separated in 1/2 pound packs; I freeze them and defrost when needed. As soon as I'm home I prepare the meat, rice and chop fruit and veggies; the morning after I only have to set it up and add any dairy or sauces to the bento. Smiley Very Happy

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

All of these Idea's are so AWESOME!! The Fitbit community is truly the best ever.  I've been struggling so long with my weight, I'll lose it all and then something will happen healthwise and I'll gain it all back.

I truly appreciate each and everyone of you.  You keep me encouraged.  God bless you all. 

Best Answer

@Kbrown2930 Reading that was like a ray of sunshine! I also think that the Fitbit Community is the best ever. Heart Keeping healthy is always better with like-minded people encouraging and supporting you; we're here for you. I really hope to see you around more often! 

Best Answer

This is a great thread.  I've just started food prepping.  Thanks for asking the question and inspiring the helpful answers.

Best Answer

I like to eat many things my wife prefers to never eat again (parsnips, chia seeds, rutabaga, etc.)!  So, often when I make a recipe I will freeze portions and take some of them to work to share with a colleage.  She lives on her own and appreciates this.  Once in a while, she will buy some groceries for me in exchange.  We have a small chest freezer where I store frozen portions & I love to "shop" in the freezer in the mornings for my lunch meals.  I invested in some sturdy freezer containers and I microwave or reheat  items at work in the toaster oven on glass dishes/plates.

Best Answer

That's what I started doing. A complete lifestyle change is just too overwhelming to make sure you meal prep for the entire week. So starting with one day and then gradually adding more days helps a ton. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is a great idea! I must try freezing food, what do you usually freeze @zenweeder?

Best Answer
0 Votes