Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which are the benefits of eating breakfast?

Many studies have shown the health benefits of eating breakfast. It improves your energy levels and ability to concentrate in the short term, and can help with better weight management, reduced risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease in the long term.

What do you like eating for breakfast? I 

Leave your comments down...

Best Answer
52 REPLIES 52

Good topic @AndreaFitbit, a lot of people avoid eating breakfast every morning for different reasons. I know that for some mornings can be a hectic time of day. However, eating a healthy breakfast should always remain high on our priority list. So we need to keep in mind that it is not only eating something in the morning but eating a healthy breakfast that can make the difference between having a great day or a tired morning.  

Healthy breakfast is proven to help you stay alert and physically active during the morning hours, this should include ingredients such as fibre, protein, and heart-healthy fats such as those derived from almonds, avocados, and other nuts. 😋

I'd like to share with you guys a quick recipe for healthy pancakes: 

kcal 53
fat 1g
saturates 0.3g
carbs 8g
sugars 0.8g
fibre 0.4g
protein 3g
salt 0.1g

Ingredients:
50g self-raising flour
50g wholemeal or wholegrain flour
2 small eggs, separated
150ml skimmed milk
berries and low-fat yogurt or fromage frais to serve

• STEP 1

Sift the flours into a bowl or wide jug and tip any bits in the sieve back into the bowl. Add the egg yolks and a splash of milk then stir to a thick paste. Add the remaining milk a little at a time so you don’t make lumps in the batter.

• STEP 2

Whisk the egg whites until they stand up in stiff peaks, then fold them carefully into the batter try not to squash out all the air.

• STEP 3

Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat and pour in enough batter to make a pancake about 10 cm across. Cook for just under a minute until bubbles begin to pop on the surface and the edges are looking a little dry. Carefully turn the pancake over. If it is a bit wet on top, it may squirt out a little batter as you do so. In that case, leave it on the other side a little longer. Keep warm while you make the remaining pancakes. Serve with your favourite healthy toppings. 🥞😉

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

I don't eat any specific breakfast but I always like to avoid oily breakfast. Some of my breakfasts items are which I like to eat every morning: --
-Fresh Oats and milk.
-Choco with milk and fresh fruits.

Best Answer

Thanks for your comments @BarthdeRosa. I  don't like oily breakfast either. 

I usually eat oatmeal or a soy beverage and fruit. 

I'd like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you can share your experiences, meet people and create new topics.

Best Answer

Interesting topic.

I take my dog out first, for either 50 or 90 minutes, and when I get back I really enjoy my breakfast, which is:

Sultanas

Chopped dried apricots

Sunflower seeds

Pumpkin seeds

Home made live yogurt

Fresh fruit

My dog has something else!

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back to us @Vidd. I thought your dog eats the same thing you eat in the morning. 😋

I had  a dog that ate with me and used to eat everything I ate at that time... Nothing really weird, I had a strict diet due to MS... She was my company because I wasn't able to walk much and she took care of me at that time... ♥️

Have a wonderful weekend. 

Best Answer

That's nice to read, Andrea.  

My dog might go for the yogurt, but that's about all, I reckon!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since you claim "Many studies" how about posting links to these studies. What is more important than if. 

I have oatmeal and a banana every day. 

http://48statehike.blogspot.com
Best Answer

I agree with this. I can have a big Mac and a glass of wine every morning for 10 years and I am not sure this would be healthy or improve my heart conditions and diabete. Please share the studies and also maybe redefined a bit the opening statement. 

Best Answer

I've done many tests of walking eight miles before breakfast and eight miles after breakfast. I can't tell the difference. When I'm backpacking, I prefer to hike a couple of hours before breakfast.

In my opinion, it's a wonderful thing that McDonald's provides breakfasts in schools. They need that early morning dose of fat and cholesterol and a packet of ketchup for a fruit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

When a person says something is proven, I ask for the proof. Please show a study showing causation and not just correlation. 

Best Answer

I have a small amount* of muesli ... with water!

I used to use milk, but used water one day as it was all I had ... and discovered I actually preferred it over milk! I've never liked milk as a drink, even in childhood. The oats give the water a nice flavour - I guess it's kinda like instant oat milk? Reminiscent of Japanese tea with grain, which I was drinking a lot around the time I switched. After that I rarely had milk in the house (I lived alone then), which was much simpler as it often used to go off. 

These days, my (super active) partner has about six times more muesli than me, with milk, loaded up with berries and Skyr yoghurt for extra protein. So the option is there, I just don't fancy the extras. When I lived alone, I'd even make my own muesli so I could have it less sugary, but we now just buy the basic one from Aldi. If I'm making breakfast I pick out some of my fruit to put in his.

Yes I am very boring! Partly I think it's that I'm really not a morning person and don't feel like eating much while I'm still half asleep. 

*I just weighed some out to see how much I have - it's about 35g. 

Best Answer

I usually make a veggie omelette using egg white and pam cooking spray or olive oil cooking spray.

Best Answer

Hello Andrea, 

To answer your question, when I break my fast somewhere between 12 and 2, I try to do so with mainly fats and protein, usually a green tea with collagen and a bit later some eggs with olive oil and whatever greens are in the fridge. I find limiting the number of insulin spikes helps lessen my joint pain, brain fog, increases my energy, and keeps me in a more stable mood. If I were to eat earlier, or a carb heavy fast break meal, I am very tired and achy as I get stuck in "rest and digest" during a time I want and need to do things.

Metabolic flexibility and the resulting decrease in inflammation has been a literal life saver for me, and I thank the publicly funded chronic pain clinic that introduced me to this nearly 10 years ago.

Best Answer

Breakfast is my favorite part of the meal. I usually wake up very hungry and eat so that I stay satiated for the whole first half of the day. I never eat heavy or fatty foods for breakfast. Mostly it is light, but at the same time nourishing meals. Most of the time I fill them with oil, and since I gave up vegetable oil and vitamins have to be taken from somewhere, I replaced it with cbd oil. For a long time I had doubts about such oil, I read a lot of literature, got acquainted with a wide range on the market and came to the conclusion that I need only natural oils made from natural ingredients, without additives and chemical elements, to find such oil sneak a peek at this web-site trythecbd.com sure that a wide range of natural products will surprise you.

Best Answer

I usually only eat two meals a day at 12 and 6 and no snacking in between.

Best Answer

I make my own whole grain sourdough bread, so I'm kinda partial to avocado toast, sometimes eggs with cheese, sometimes beans, sometimes just cottage cheese spread (cottage cheese with grated hard cheese, garlic & sriracha) topped with Sauerkraut. 🙂 Yes, I am weird. I like dhal (lentil soup) for breakfast too. But always with some fresh sourdough and a fruit smoothie to the side. I front load my protein, healthy carbs & vitamins/mineral during breakfast getting about 800 cal in. But I have time to do that too; I'm retired. If you're working, a protein smoothie would probably be fine way to start your body going. --> 2 cups frozen fruit, a bit of orange juice & almond milk, protein powder, amla powder, psyllium husk, chia seeds AND KALE. It's not always green; that depends on your fruit. Today it was kinda brownish green.If it looks gross, I take my glasses off. 🙂 You can't taste the kale though; the fruit always overpowers it. We use Mango, cherry, blueberry, pineapple & fresh raspberry (since I grow them in the back yard). I do make savory oatmeal too when I don't have bread. Cook in skillet with onion & garlic, add some beans & spices and breakfast is ready. 

Best Answer

Love the live yoghurt!  I'd go for that too. I need to learn to make that. I make tofu & tempeh, sourdough, sauerkraut, & Kombucha. Oh, and we make beer too. 🙂 Hey, it's all about fermentation, right? 😉 I use the spent grain in my bread. No waste!

Best Answer

I have to eat breakfast because I can't concentrate if I'm hungry. Every morning I drink a cup of coffee and eat scrambled eggs or boiled eggs with vegetables. I allow myself to have sweet waffles or toast for breakfast sometimes.

Best Answer

Here is an interesting, and in my opinion quite balanced article on this topic. For me, the most important message is that I do not have to force-feed myself breakfast within minutes of waking up, despite not feeling even a sliver of hunger or appetite yet. It is OK to wait until the body wakes up - in my case, what works is a morning coffee with milk and then a pause of about an hour (including some excercise such as a 4-5 km run), and only then a light breakfast (e.g. yoghurt with oatmeal and a spoonful of jam, or some bread with cottage cheese and a tomato) around 7:30 or 8 AM. If I eat as soon as I wake up, I end up sluggish and sleepy for a substantial part of the day, as well as becoming ravenous anyway at the time when my body would desire breakfast (and overeating as a result).

Best Answer