Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Does Starbucks (and similar places) assume you want SUGAR?

I typically order plain lattes/cappuccinos/flat whites/etc... but often get a confused look from baristas when I order specialty drinks with as little sweeteners as possible (or unsweetened, if possible).   I've also noticed that tea lattes default to sweeteners, even when it's unnecessary (matcha lattes, for example, default at three pumps of liquid cane sugar for a tall, four for a grande).  What's the deal with that?  Are we all that addicted?  

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

The average Australian has the equivalent of 14 teaspoons of added sugar daily. [Source 1], half in the form of beverages; most of the West is the same. So it's a fair assumption on their part. 

An interesting book and web presentation is What the world eats; they got families to tally up their week's food and lay it out with the cost. What you notice is that the very poorest in the world consume just grains and legumes. As they get better off, they add vegetables, fruits and meat. The first thing they add after that is... soft drinks. From there the simple food ingredients start being replaced by processed and packet food. But soft drinks come in before pizza and chips and all that. 

There are some cultural and regional variations like the Japanese having more fish than the Germans and that sort of thing, but broadly speaking it's mostly about wealth. People have a strong desire for liquid sugar. I've no doubt your own rejection of it was a conscious choice, even if you're now accustomed to it. If we don't think about it we'll default to liquid sugar. 

Best Answer

@writergal28 wrote:

I typically order plain lattes/cappuccinos/flat whites/etc... but often get a confused look from baristas when I order specialty drinks with as little sweeteners as possible (or unsweetened, if possible).   I've also noticed that tea lattes default to sweeteners, even when it's unnecessary (matcha lattes, for example, default at three pumps of liquid cane sugar for a tall, four for a grande).  What's the deal with that?  Are we all that addicted?  

I know what you mean. I would love to get a coffee or espresso Frappuccino without sweetener (real or fake) but they just can’t do it.  It is incorporated into the base that they use to make it ‘creamy.’  Best they seem to be able to do is to reduce the frappuccino roast base to one pump (instead of of 3) for a grande and then add a couple of espresso shots. They probably add all the sugar or reduced calorie sweetener because that’s what sells.  

Fortunately I’m pretty happy with the hot options and like the plain lattes/cappuccinos/flat whites.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@Baltoscott  You sound EXACTLY like me.  I haven't had a Frappuccino since 2003 (I think) for that very reason.  What I DON'T get is why tea lattes have to default to syrup while coffee equivalents do not.  

Best Answer

I miss my Peppermint  Frappicino

They have it all year long but I try to only get at Christmas time.

I trying hard to stay away . But I might break down for 1

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

While I've never been given odd looks for requesting no sweetener, Starbucks is definitely a tricky place to navigate. Iced coffee comes with sugar by default so unless the barista asks a preference, the customer is unlikely to be aware. I do wish they had a wider range of sugar-free flavors but I believe it is in the works to separate the flavor from the sweetener, a la Dunkin's flavor shots.  

Best Answer

I agree, Starbucks drinks are way too sweet!  My favorite holiday drink is the Gingerbread Latte and I ask for 1 pump of the syrup in the grande, enough to have the flavor, but not overpowered by sugar! 

My Mom, who is a diabetic, drinks Venti Chai Lattes with 8 pumps of flavor, because she claims they don't use full pumps of syrup.  I have told her numerous times that this is not good for her diabetes! Also, I don't know how she can stand the sweetness.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ooooh, the gingerbread is my favorite too. To save $$ and sugar calories I've been making my own syrup and adding it to my coffee at home. 

Homemade Gingerbread Syrup

1/2 cup sugar or equivalent sweetener

1/2 cup water

1 Tbs Molasses 

3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 heaped teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 heaped teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 heaped teaspoon ground cloves

Combine first three ingredients in small saucepan and bring to a simmer for a few minutes (sugar will thicken, sweeteners wont so you could skip this step). Add in the spices and stir to combine. Cool and use to taste in your coffee. 

Best Answer