Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps vs Dominant wrist using Inspire 3

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just bought my wife an Inspire 3. She prefers to wear it on her dominant wrist but it registers numerous steps that she has not actually taken. I have a Charge 4 but wear it on my non dominant wrist and this seems to record steps accurately. 

I assume that natural movements of her dominant hand doing every day takes are recorded as steps but I thought that setting the app correctly reduced sensitivity so that this would not happen.

Any ideas in how to fix this or is it a design fault?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Chatfic  The dominant/non-dominant setting does make a difference in the sensitivity of the step tracker.  I can say this because of my personal situation.  I have mixed hand dominance.  I write with my right hand and do some activities right handed (golf, bat ) but do more activities with my left hand.  I wear my Fitbit on my left wrist on the dominant setting.  If I put it on the non-dominant setting, I will get 1500 or more steps per day.

Even with the proper settings, there are many natural movements that get recorded as steps.  My hair stylist gave up on tracking, because she uses both hands in her work.  Your wife can actually see the impact of hand movements by putting her Inspire 3 into the On Body setting and putting it in a pocket for one day while awake.  But I'm not suggesting this to get her to micromanage her steps and try to delete extra steps.  I'm suggesting this so she can understand the limitations of these devices.  None of them are scientific instruments.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

@Chatfic  The dominant/non-dominant setting does make a difference in the sensitivity of the step tracker.  I can say this because of my personal situation.  I have mixed hand dominance.  I write with my right hand and do some activities right handed (golf, bat ) but do more activities with my left hand.  I wear my Fitbit on my left wrist on the dominant setting.  If I put it on the non-dominant setting, I will get 1500 or more steps per day.

Even with the proper settings, there are many natural movements that get recorded as steps.  My hair stylist gave up on tracking, because she uses both hands in her work.  Your wife can actually see the impact of hand movements by putting her Inspire 3 into the On Body setting and putting it in a pocket for one day while awake.  But I'm not suggesting this to get her to micromanage her steps and try to delete extra steps.  I'm suggesting this so she can understand the limitations of these devices.  None of them are scientific instruments.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes