Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nickel Free Fitbit Devices

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Does anyone have experience with nickel free Fitbits? What would you recommend?

Thanks

Rick

Moderator edit: clarified subject.

Best Answer
27 REPLIES 27

@rickhelms74 Welcome to the Fitbit Community! It's great to have you here!

Thank you for your inquiry.Currently Fitbit devices do contain small traces of nickel. The following is stated in the manual:

"The housing on Inspire HR is plastic. The Inspire HR classic wristband is made of a premium, comfortable silicone similar to that used in many sport watches, and the buckle is made of anodized aluminum. While anodized aluminum can contain traces of nickel, which can cause an allergic reaction in someone with nickel sensitivity, the amount of nickel in all Fitbit products meets the European Union's stringent Nickel Directive."

Still hope you get comments from other users.

I'll be around.

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wore mine for 3 months before I started having a reaction. Ive had it off for a couple of weeks now, but as soon as I put it back on, I instantly get a reaction...

And it’s so sensitive that I can’t wear any of my old watches either, that I’ve worn daily for years before...

Barb

Best Answer

I currently have the Fitbit Alta and this has a hypoallergenic strap which I'm able to wear. I was hoping to get an inspire hr but are any of the straps hypoallergenic?

Best Answer

I have an HR Alta and I get little blister like pimples on my wrist where the buckle attaches to the fitbit.

I can wear it for about 4 or 5 days before I get them and they heal up after about a week or so. I tried putting tape over the metal but it still happens.

I am assuming that the metal is causing this irritation on my skin. So I will probably quit wearing it and try to find something that works better for me.

I find that I really appreciate the information I get when I wear it, and I find that I am more motivated to meet my targets when I wear it. So now I am disappointed to have to spend more funds and have no guarantee that another make or product will be better.

Best Answer

I believe I reacted to the charger connection dots on the back of the Charge 2. It started out mild and I would be able to switch from wrist to wrist, but after awhile, it became completely unwearable. I even tried taping over the charger connections when wearing, but my skin got to the point where  I couldn't tolerate anything at all 

Best Answer

Well I didn't think that this had nickel in it by the start of week 3 wearing it I knew that something was really wrong. I don't care if it meets EU standards or control for the price that is charged for the Fitbit why can't it be made with some other material. Not Happy at all. 

Best Answer

Why can't fitbit state that there is nickel in their band. I called to ask but I need to wait for a email response for this simple question. My fitbit is new and I have a very nice rash on my wrist. I will wrap something around my band in the meantime

Best Answer

I realize that I am probably in the minority, since I prefer to wear a regular watch.  Thus I have the Inspire, which I wear on the clip, so there is no metal touching.  I always had a metal allergy, corroded buckles on watchbands after a fear weeks.  It got really bad over 25 years ago and I had to stop wearing silver and white gold jewelry.  But that has improved greatly as I think manufacturers are using a lot less nickel.

Best Answer

I talked to customer service this week who offered a refund but I agree. I like the product, I just wish they would use other materials even if what they use meets the requirements. It seems to not be very inclusive when so many people are having the same reaction. 

Best Answer

I’ve worn a Fitbit versa for several years. Recently I bought a Fitbit sense. Within a month of wearing the Sense I started developing skin irritations.  No doubt nickel allergies.  A red raised rash on my skin immediately under the watch. Must be Nickel allergies!!  Spent over $300 and right now it’s a waste of money.

Best Answer

Hi there

I am in same boat. Totally nicole reaction! Did u get sorted with a suitable buckle or strap? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had to stop wearing my Fitbit charge 3 too because of my nickel allergy. I’m not impressed with Fitbit’s answer that it meets European standards. That doesn’t help any of us with this allergy who have wasted our money. I think it is mainly the buckle on  the strap that bothers me. Are there any Fitbit Straps available with buckles that don’t contain nickel?

Best Answer

Hello @NannyPanny and welcome to the Help forum.  Have you searched Amazon for a third-part band that is styled completely different from Fitbit bands?  It is also my understanding that anodized aluminum is completely nickel-free, even though Fitbit's description says trace nickel.  You can always ask a question for almost everything sold on Amazon.  The Fitbit woven bands for Charge 3/4 say they have an aluminum buckle.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm posting to your post years later.. The same thing happened to me with my versa 2, bought in December. rash started in March. My allergic reaction is not with the band but from the back of the watch housing, a big square rash.

Reading other people's comments I did put tape over the charging parts thinking that might be help the issue. After wearing it a couple days the rash came back so I believe I'm just having the allergic reaction to the back of the watch housing, not the charging ports. 

I've loosened up the band, I guess I will heal my rash for a second time, then try to wear it again and cleaning the back of it daily. I guess I'll need to stop wearing it at night.

Best Answer

Update: Read the next post for details & pics on how to punch holes etc. (I was asked for details on a different post so I've added it below)

My daughter also has a nickel allergy & got a bad rash from the fitbit Sense I bought for her. We fixed it by putting a screen protector on the back of it (where it touches the skin). I pre-punched 4 small holes for the charger to be able to still connect and had to trim it a little so it didn't cover the band attachment. She's been wearing it now for several weeks with no problems at all. I purchased the ZAGG InvisibleSheild Ultra Clear Screen Protector that fits the Versa2,3, & Sense. It was about $15. Hope this may help you and any others out there with nickel allergies 🙂

Best Answer

I was asked on a different post for details & pictures so I thought I'd update this post also. It's been almost a year now & the screen protector on the back has stayed on this whole time & she hasn't had any nickel reaction at all (the screen protectors on the face tend to peel at the edges & eventually need to get replaced). Anyway, here's the update...

I used the zagg invisiblesheild screen protector installed on the back of the watch.

_0-1675089086520.jpeg

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=fitbit+sense+screen+protector&_dyncharset=UTF-8&_dynS...

Step 1 of installation is to remove paper backing & align. After this step I marked the 4 holes (used a thin point Sharpie marker) and trimmed the edges where the band connects (it is a bit long otherwise.)

Then I used a hole punch (picked mine up at Walmart, a whole set of them for around $10 - any hardware store should have them)

Here's a pic of hole punches:

_1-1675089086510.jpeg

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/hand-tools/punches-nail-sets/wilde-tool-reg-pin-punch-set-5-piece...

Pick the correct size hole punch, set screen protector on a scrap block of wood (or something you don't care about wrecking as it will go through the screen protector & cut into whatever is underneath it), put hole punch on mark and hit with hammer.

Here is a video of someone using a hole punch on leather (start video at 3:53 mark)(In the video he turns his leather piece over & punches it again. You only need to do it from 1 side on the screen protector unless it didn't go all the way through from the 1st hit.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zcVPrtojVFg

Then finish the installation instructions for the screen protector. It has lasted on my daughters fitbit sense for over 8 months now with no nickel reaction & the charging ports work just fine with no issues.

Hope this helps!😊

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Best Answer

I have this issue now, after wearing it almost 4 years!!

Best Answer

It’s not the strap for me, it’s literally the back of it that lays on my arm. 😞

Best Answer

Hey. A women who responded to my message, she used a cell phone screen protector on back of fitbit, trimmed down to correct size and this solved her daughter's reaction and she was able to wear the fitbit again. 

I tried blue painters tape on the back of my fitbit, works like a charm! I cut 2 stripes, and trim the corners. Pull tape off to charge and reuse tape until I feel I need new clean tape. NO more RASH for me! Good Luck. 

Best Answer