Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50M Water Resistance - Clarification?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi! 

Super interested in the Ionic -- thanks for continuing to innovate on your products, etc. 

I was curious -- most things that I am reading online in regards to watch water proofing are telling me that 50M resistance is not adequate enough for swimming -- the recommendation is still to remove a watch with that rating before jumping in water. 

Just a a few examples:

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/what-does-water-resistance-in-diving-watches-mean

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/water-resistance-myth-vs-reality-159142.html

https://www.thrillist.com/gear/what-your-watch-water-resistance-numbers-mean

So -- suppose I purchased the Ionic and went for a swim -- due to the 50M rating the watch ends up getting water damaged -- would it be covered under warranty? Are you undercutting actual resistance? It doesn't sound like I should be swimming with this thing based on current stats, even though you are advertising swim tracking. Little bit concerned about this and would love some clarification! Thanks!

Best Answer
123 REPLIES 123

@SantiR- thank you of thinking of me.

Unfortunately Fitbit support was unable to adapt to my type of business travel. Whilst some countries will provide a customer goodwill gesture and send a replacement whilst waiting on a return, the UK was not one of those. With my moving around Europe from hotel to hotel UK support has no way to get me the Ionic before my return to London mid September. I did provide a list of alternative suggestions all denied. The one that would of worked best - entrusting me to receive a replacement, and return the faulty one in the same week was against UK policy.

A few people advised I try Amazon again (including friends in my weekly Fitbit comps). I explained it all on the phone to the Amazon, who knowing my customer profile understood the problem well. They made a goodwill gesture (even though it's out of Amazon warranty and under Fitbit warranty) and refunded me the money back to my Amazon account in form of a voucher. I then ordered a new replacement from Amazon, due to arrive tomorrow. They have also sent me a free return box and label that I will send the faulty Fitbit back in tomorrow. All sorted in the week I'm back in London.

Let's hope this next Ionic is up for the water Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I meant after swimming in salt water...rinse off

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Halfwaythere It's great to see you in the Fitbit forums! Thanks for sharing your Ionic experience on this thread. That's awesome to read, I'm glad it resisted 50 feet underwater. 

Yes, it is always recommended to rinse the salt water off Ionic if it had contact with the sea. @Chincheey 

@Souldeep Thanks for your reply! That's unfortunate to read. However, I'm glad to read that the retailer in which you got it (Amazon) was able to provide an easier solution for your case. I'm so glad that the new Ionic is on its way. Once you receive the new unit feel free to follow these replacement set up steps for you to not loose any of your previous data. 

I'm also glad to read that Fitbit provided a free return box for you to return the faulty one.

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

@SantiR- thank you for the link on how to setup a replacement.

My Amazon order arrived today, and I've followed your instructions to replace the Ionic on my account. I am reconnected again. Nice and easy to connect, and worked first time - definitely the Bluetooth gone on my old Ionic (somewhere the water seal is faulty).

You may have misunderstood something I wrote in my previous post. It's Amazon, outside of their warranty period, that kindly refunded my account (so I could order a new one whilst I am around this week), and have also sent me the box and free postage to return the old Ionic. I'm packing it up now, and will post the return tomorrow.

Thank you for the tips and help on these forums, and thank you Amazon - job done - now fingers crossed this new Ionic has water tight seals.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Souldeep Thanks for your reply and for providing those details! I'm very glad to hear that you are back on track now with the new unit and that it was easy to set up. I'm sure this one will work properly even in the water this time. 

I'm so glad to read that Amazon did all of that for you. That's really great! I'm sure your experience will be helpful for other users too. 

Please let me know how the new Ionic works overall and in the water. 

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Although this is an old thread, a technical clarification on the use of absolute pressure .. 50m is 6 ata (atmospheres) and not 5ATM as wriiten by fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Recently noticed fitbit changed the waterproof to swimming pools for ionic and versa...

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer

@Sarahhourani- interesting. Do you have a link to that change of usage?

Doesn't that make the 50m depth advertising slightly irrelevant? Deepest pool I've been to was in Belgium, 35m deep, but that is an exception rather than the norm. Swimming pools are rarely deeper than 3m.

I can only guess the change in usage may have been applied due to the potential for sea water to leave small salt deposits in the seal mechanism.

Best Answer
0 Votes

https://www.fitbit.com/au/shop/adidas

Swimproof

Water resistant to 50M for wearing in the pool or rain. Tracks laps, duration and calories burned during swim workouts.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

Swimproof

Water resistant to 50M for wearing in the pool or rain. Tracks laps, duration and calories burned during swim workouts.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks... I see the connection info has also been adjusted. Now says connects with 200+ Android and IOS devices, rather than, compatible with Android v xxx and IOS v xxx or above. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

So just to clarify, I can swim in a pool for, say, an hour and my Fitbit ionic will be fine? There is a swimming feature, so I assume so, but I want to be 100% sure!  Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @LanieS.. Yes that is fine. I'm now on my second ionic, and swimming in pools and fresh water has caused me no problems so far. 

Best Answer

Okay, thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got my Fitbit ionic last Friday n went swimming briefly Sunday and it stopped working completely. Tech went thru everything but it’s literally dead. They DID replace it quickly but I’m scared to get it wet now. I literally swam for a few minutes and it wasn’t submerged  that whole time. Scary...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had my Ionic for 6 mths now, no issues yet. Just spent 2 weeks on holiday in Greece and wore it 24/7 except for my 6 scuba dives, I decided not to risk it. I was in the wster at least 2 hours a day, fresh & salt. Went snorkeling one day & got to approx 4 metres with it. So far, so good!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I must have just had a defective watch then. Hitting Beach this weekend and
We’ll see lol thx for the info ✌🏼
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here, I had my Ionic since last October and it's wonderful (had a Charge HR before but I said I'll only switch when Fitbit comes with a water resistant one). I swim very often with it (pool and lake) and took it quite a few times in the ocean (snorkelling only, didn't scuba with it, I didn't want to risk passing 5 ATA so I only went to about 4m down), stayed in water for hours in a row with absolutely no issue. So I believe the ones that break while swimming normal laps in a pool might be duds. Just my opinion.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actual changing the use specs after people have purchased it is poor in my eyes.

My job is a diver and whilst I would never wear it whilst diving ,I spend a lot of time out at sea and would hope this is more than covered by its warranty 

Fitbit Ionic and OnePlus 6T
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all. 

Just wanted to confirm that Ionic is swim proof up to 50 meters. So the watch should be safe for scuba so long as you stay within that range. 

@LanieS There is no limit on the time you can spend swimming with Ionic. It should continue to work beyond an hour. 

@Kevbar Thanks for the clarification on that!

If anyone is having issues with your Ionic after going for a swim, please let me know. 

In addition to the Swim exercise that comes standard on the watch, there is also the MySwimPro app in the gallery. This can help you take your swimming to the next level by loading workouts from the MySwimPro app on to your watch. Robot Happy

Hope this is helpful! Feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions. 

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer