Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50M Water Resistance - Clarification?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi! 

Super interested in the Ionic -- thanks for continuing to innovate on your products, etc. 

I was curious -- most things that I am reading online in regards to watch water proofing are telling me that 50M resistance is not adequate enough for swimming -- the recommendation is still to remove a watch with that rating before jumping in water. 

Just a a few examples:

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/what-does-water-resistance-in-diving-watches-mean

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/water-resistance-myth-vs-reality-159142.html

https://www.thrillist.com/gear/what-your-watch-water-resistance-numbers-mean

So -- suppose I purchased the Ionic and went for a swim -- due to the 50M rating the watch ends up getting water damaged -- would it be covered under warranty? Are you undercutting actual resistance? It doesn't sound like I should be swimming with this thing based on current stats, even though you are advertising swim tracking. Little bit concerned about this and would love some clarification! Thanks!

Best Answer
123 REPLIES 123

If it was a dud then you ought to be covered by the warranty. Have you been in touch with customer support?

Best Answer
Sure have! Fitbit are fantastic with warranty and returns, however still feel uneasy to
Swim with Ionic due to what happened!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer

I can understand that! It just doesn't seem natural to wear a complex piece of technology when swimming. I don't swim so not a problem I have to face!

Best Answer
Detailed reply lol. Fitbit are amazing and my Ionic was replaced immediately. So all good.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thats what I am looking for. Is the Ionic salt water proof? Is the 50 meters in a swimming pool or is that depth? I would like to go diving but not sure if the watch can handle the water pressure. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use my Ionic in the pool and when swimming in the sea and have had no problems.

I would definitely NOT use it for diving though. Dive computers are usually certified to 200 meters or more. You have to remember that the pressure experienced by a device in the water can be significantly greater than the ambient pressure at a given depth. For example if you're wearing the device on your wrist and you are 10m underwater and then move your arm rapidly through the water the pressure exerted on the device will be significantly higher than the ambient pressure.

Best Answer

Thank you for your advice, I greatly appreciate the reply. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit die after a pool day! The heart rate and screen bug very hard. In a week and a half I send it back and got a new one!! Very happy about warranty!

Best Answer

@ErickFitbit please  forgive me if this has been answered before; but 50m water resistance is vague. I want to use it in sea water and use it constantly. I will be in the water nearly every other day and I want to be confident this isn’t going to break after a few weeks. 

If it does leak or otherwise get damaged will the warranty cover it and for how long? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Kilroy1721 keep asking, the international standard for water resistance specifies that each manufacturer (e.g. Fitbit) must publish a list of activities that are covered by warranty. I've asked for that list, and was referred to the specs that state:

"Fitbit Ionic is water resistant to 50 meters. After swimming or getting the band wet, we recommend drying the band because, as with any wearable device, it's best for your skin if the band is clean and dry. We do not recommend wearing Ionic in a hot tub or sauna. See www.fitbit.com/productcare for more details."

source: https://www.fitbit.com/shop/ionic

Other GPS tracking devices I've purchased have more detailed lists.

Good luck getting a more definitive answer on supported activities.

Regarding the warranty, the standard Fitbit warranty basically covers a) first owner only, b) must have been purchased from Fitbit or authorized retailer, and c) 1 year or 2 years depending on where you purchased/live.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am saving up to upgrade to an Ionic. I currently have a Charge 2. I am wanting the Ionic for walking and the waterproofing it has on those times I don't always make it back home before it starts raining, then I  have to protect my Charge 2 from the rain. I don't swim or dive so I mainly want the waterproofing for walking while raining. So, without swimming or diving, is it water proof against rain??

Thank You

Best Answer
0 Votes

The ionic is waterproof enough for that yes! Normally you can swim too. If the fitbit is water damage you will get a replacement! 

Best Answer

Thank You

Best Answer

It appears the US customers are well looked after with the Fitbit warrenty. 

Alas. I am a UK customer and no offer to return my device been offered. 

I note a mention of Fitbit approved sellers. I brought mine from the biggest store in the world.. Amazon. Is that a fitbit approved seller? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you contact them? I am canadien by the way. Normaly amazon should be ok ??? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi. My reference to US service was not related to your comments. Just general ones I've noticed around the forums. Didn't mean to insult you 😊

Yes. Had a support ticket. It's ended with being told my devices are not supported, and a factory reset that has left my Fitbit in a continuous icon loop. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello,

question, I am waiting for the delivery for the fit bit Versa    

I work in a hair salon and every time I have to shampoo a client I have to take my Fitbit blaze off so it doesn’t get wet. Will I have to do this with the versa? By the way I love the products 

I currently have the blaze.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mellyblog I hope you're doing well! Thanks for sharing the experience you have had with customer support. I'm glad they got you back on track with a new unit very quickly. 

@Kilroy1721 Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Ionic should work properly for swimming. Just take into consideration the 50M resistance

@bbarrera Thanks for your help on this thread. Is your Ionic working properly when it gets wet or submerged? Smiley Wink

@VickieB1 Ionic will resist rain and splashes perfectly, no worries about that!  

@Souldeep I'm sure customer support will get you back on track soon! 

@Chincheey It's great to see you in the Fitbit forums! I'm glad you're getting a Versa, great device! Fitbit Versa is water-resistant to 50M and track laps, duration, and calories during swim workouts. So, yes, it will survive the water splashes when you are shampooing your customers, no worries. 

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

I wasn't sure how it would hold up to the water resistance claim until I accidentally wore it scuba diving down to 50 feet with no issues. Just rinse if off afterwards in salt water.

Best Answer
Why salt water?

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes