Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After years of complaints Ionic still won't stay powered off...

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've had the original Charge HR, a Surge, a Blaze and now an Ionic.

The complaints about these watches have been the same since time immemorial.   You can power them off, but if you as much as look at the watch wrong, the buttons get jostled and it powers itself back on again.

This is a legitimate problem.   I have two watches, because I want 24/7 monitoring.  When I am wearing one, and have th eother in my bag, I need it to STAY OFF, so I don't accidentally double log steps, or run down the battery for no reason.

Every single other device on the planet is designed to require you to hold a button down for 1-2 seconds in order to power it on, but Fitbit stubbornly keeps the instant-on button press.  For the love of god why?   This would be such an easy firmware fix...

It's almost as if they are TRYING to piss people off...

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I have actually experienced this myself with my Blaze. I do agree it's quite difficult to transport it around without accidently turning it on. It's not something I really worried about, but I can appreciate your frustration.

The only thing you can really do is post a suggestion in the feature suggestions board.

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Sorry but the Charge 2 and the Charge HR can not be turned off. 

Yes i see that a simple press of the button turns the tracker on. but thostshould not be a problem since the tracker normally isnt being worn when powered off. 

Yes it could be an easy change in the firmware, but probably not something the community of users will be able to do. 

Best Answer

Settings , then About, then Shutdown to turn the Ionic off.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

@WavyDavey wrote:

The problem is not shutting it off.   The problem is that it doesn't STAY off once you shut it off, as you don't need to hold the button down to power it on again.   If the button gets touched at all (like in the pocket of a bag) it powers right back on again.

Phones, other smart watches, tablets, they all require you to HOLD the power button for a second or two to power it on again, but not fitbit.

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue wrote:

Sorry but the Charge 2 can not be turned off. 

I've ever had a Charge 2, just a Charge HR.   

@Rich_Laue wrote:

Yes i see that a simple press of the button turns the tracker on. but thostshould not be a problem since the tracker normally isnt being worn when powered off. 

Stick it in the pocket of a bag, and leave it for a little bit.   I guarantee when you come back it's on again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have actually experienced this myself with my Blaze. I do agree it's quite difficult to transport it around without accidently turning it on. It's not something I really worried about, but I can appreciate your frustration.

The only thing you can really do is post a suggestion in the feature suggestions board.

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

@N8teGee wrote:

Thank you for that.  I did not realize they had a separate features suggestion area.  I'll take a look at that.

Best Answer

@WavyDavey wrote:

Yes that is the instructions for the ionic, this tracker is only 7-8 months old. Not years .

You where saying that the ionic like the Charge HR, once turned off. it will not stay off. 

My comment was that the Charge hr does not have the ability to be turned off. 

At least the Blaze required a 2 second push at one time. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can imagine the issue you have, as I have the same problem with my Garmin Edge not staying off.

As for the Ionic, you might try getting this protective case from Amazon. It's easy to quickly clip on and off without removing the band. I use it for armor when mountain biking. It also so happens to go flush with the buttons, so I can only operate the buttons by pressing into the recess with a fingernail. This might help prevent accidental operation of the buttons, causing it to turn on.

Ionic Cover.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes