Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Always on display on the Iconic

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The whole reason I have a Surge right now and not a Blaze is because the Surge has a (sort-of) always-on watch face. Pushing a button or wrist flicking is problematic when carrying stuff or when taking a quick glance. Please make this option configurable, so we can choose to take a big hit on battery life in order to get the always-on display option we need.  Thanks.

Update 09/13/2017: Here is the link to the feature request specific to the Ionic - https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Always-on-display-on-the-Iconic/idi-p/2181208 

Best Answer
103 REPLIES 103

@shipo wrote:

@shayod wrote:

Thanks for the update, one more question re sizing. I presently wear the Surge with the smaller band size. I do want to get a sport band and maybe a more formal one for Ionic but as they are size specific on ordering how do they compare to the surge size. My wrist is exactly 170mm which is the cut off point on your sizing advice, so do I go with the smaller or larger. Thanks

I believe I saw when I ordered mine the Ionic comes with both the small and the large band included.

Yes that's correct, the Ionic comes with both a small and large standard band included. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

I understand that large and small bands come with the device, but my question related to pre ordering accessory bands with the device. Wrist is 170mm, which is limit of advertised sizing (upto 170 / from 170mm). Any advice available? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had a surge for 3 years and just assumed the iconic was "a better surge" but not having an option for always on display was a surprise and disappointment. I'm now on my runs looking like I have a nervous twitch always flicking my wrist. 

Suggestion;understanding the issue of battery life tradeoff what about a setting to have the display come on for X seconds every Y minutes so I can decide?would be useful on my long runs. 

Cheers 

Best Answer

@MrBluesky wrote:

I've had a surge for 3 years and just assumed the iconic was "a better surge" but not having an option for always on display was a surprise and disappointment. I'm now on my runs looking like I have a nervous twitch always flicking my wrist. 

Suggestion;understanding the issue of battery life tradeoff what about a setting to have the display come on for X seconds every Y minutes so I can decide?would be useful on my long runs. 

Cheers 

There is an option in the exercise settings to enable "always on screen" during workouts.

20170930_122320.jpg

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
Excellent! Thx for the help.

From T. Chase
Best Answer

Exactly why I'm considering switching to Garmin now. Been using Surge and waiting for their new smartwatch to come out so I can upgrade, finally Ionic came out but is just a disappointment, no always on display is just a deal breaker for me. Probably will go with Garmin... a couple of my friends have it and it looks nice and much thinner than Surge...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@snowcmx, just an FYI, you do know you can configure the display to be "Always On" during some (or even all) of the workout modes; yes, no?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes you can configure always on but it adversely affects battery life.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@shayod wrote:
Yes you can configure always on but it adversely affects battery life.

Sent from my iPhone

So you charge your Ionic every two days instead of every three.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks. I know this but I want it to be ON not only in workout modes but all the time like Surge, or Garmin vivoactive. I guess it's hard to do with a full color screen, I just want them to make the most basic feature as a WATCH better.

Best Answer

I would be fine even if I would have to charge it every other day to have an always-on feature. It would even be fine if it is a reduced screen brightness with the feature... I am having problems with the auto on when you look at it too which is a real pain sense pressing the button only keeps it on a few seconds it seems if your not messing with it.

Best Answer

The problem with Garmin is they only have continuous HR monitoring in a fitness mode.  Otherwise, it's just an average from samples taken several minutes apart.  If they've improved this feature, I'm on board.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I noticed that at least the ionic has an always on mode during workout. This is a good thing. My major issue at this point is that the automatic wake mode with gesture is very poor. I normally have to do it three times before I can see the time. This is unacceptable. Very dangerous while you drive. My wife already gave up and returned it. I am hoping that a software update will fix it. I tried to chat with the support but they were of no help. Sensors are there so it is just a question of making them more sensitive I guess. I hope they will fix soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have found the Ionic to have a very fast auto wake response. As long as my forearm  is within 40`degrees to horizontal a 90 ` twist turns it on without fail

Best Answer

And how am I supposed to check this ? I need to be able to see the time with a minimal twist. Have you already tried twisting the wrist 90 degrees whel ou are driving. or while you are laying in bed. This needs to get better. The Apple Watch lits up much easily

Best Answer
0 Votes

@giovi1969 wrote:

And how am I supposed to check this ? I need to be able to see the time with a minimal twist. Have you already tried twisting the wrist 90 degrees whel ou are driving. or while you are laying in bed. This needs to get better. The Apple Watch lits up much easily

I find that a very light tap or press of one of the buttons turns on the display easily.  Didn't you say earlier that you had a Garmin instead of a Fitbit because of this feature?  Or, was it the Apple Watch?

Best Answer

Pebble did just great with an always on display (not the backlight) and they had a 7 day battery life.  I would assume that this is part of the "technology" that Fitbit bought from them.

Best Answer

I can’t find this function always on in the Fitbit App on my phone.

who can help me out?

Best Answer
0 Votes
It's not there. That's the problem and what we all want

--
Kathleen Smith
kathleensmith138@gmail.com
Best Answer
0 Votes

I ment during workouts/excersises!

Best Answer
0 Votes