Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Bluetooth Headphones for Ionic?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I need suggestions for good, wireless headphones that pair well with the Ionic that won’t break the bank. I LOVE the ones I have now for playing music from my phone. They don’t skip at all with my phone. With my Ionic, however, they skip constantly, which really throws off my stride during my run. I appreciate and am looking forward to some excellent suggestions!

Best Answer
30 REPLIES 30

This is the same problem I have.... I think it’s the ionic that has the issue. I have two different Bluetooth headphones that experience this skipping when playing music from ionic. The headphones I have are bose and JBL so decent quality. My partner is also experiencing the same on their ionic with Sony Bluetooth headphones. I hope they fix this soon. 

Best Answer

I have the same issue trekz titanium headphones. They work fine when paired with my phone but jump and skip when paired with my ionic. 

‘Is there any update from Fitbit on this fault?

thx

martin

Best Answer

The Fitbit flyer work great for me!

?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Flyer works perfectly for me too

Tony | UK

Ionic, Versa 2, Charge 3 SE, Aria 2, Flyer, Note 9, Android 8.1, Windows 10

Best Answer
0 Votes

https://nerdtechy.com/atgoin-bt565m-review

I have the atgoin 565... for some reason they are no longer available on amazon, but they are really good and cheap. They work with my ionic no problem, as long as I do not have them connected to something else and try to switch. If I do have them connected to, say, my phone, then I have  to turn off the bluetooth on my phone and try to reconnect to my watch. Here's a video review also :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_IRHjtpB_c

Best Answer
0 Votes

Using B&O H5.  Perfect for the Ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I posted this on another thread of Fitbit forums, but maybe more relevant here:

I've just got my Ionic, my wife got a Versa at the same time. I have a pair of Audiofly Bluetooth headphones that run Bluetooth v4.2. They suffer the poor quality issue on both the Ionic and Versa. It's as if the music is being streamed/played too fast (hence the pitch shift) and then it chops out for a fraction of a second to re-sync. The Audiofly headphones work perfectly with my Nexus 5x phone.

My wife has a pair of BlueAnt headphones that run Bluetooth v4.1. These work fine on both the Ionic and the Versa. 

I understand that both the Ionic and Versa run Bluetooth v4.0 LE. It's my theory that on Fitbit devices, this works fine with headphones running Bluetooth v4.1 but not Bluetooth v4.2. 

Here's to hoping that Fitbit can offer a software update to fix this. 

Best Answer

I have Bose Sounsport Free earbuds. A little trouble at first with getting them synced up, but after some firmware fixes from Bose they have worked great until the last couple of weeks when I also started having the cutting out of the music, and it does sound like a re sync of the Bluetooth. Interestingly, the problem with the ionic turning itself off and then back on, crashing during run exercise app, have started happening about the same time.

I’m getting frustrated...hope they figure this out soon.

Best Answer
That is REALLY solid information and will help serve as guidance when I am
looking into which headphones to purchase. Thank you for sharing it onto my
thread!
Best Answer
0 Votes

A bit of further info from me. I just tried my Ionic with a friends Bose QuietComfort 35 II, which run Bluetooth v4.1, I believe. Absolutely no issue, perfect quality. This further adds to my theory (still obviously just a theory) that the issue is compatibility between Fitbit's bluetooth v4.0 LE and bluetooth v4.2 headphones. I'm going to try and get my hands on another set of bluetooth headphones running v4.2 and see whether they also have the streaming/quality issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, I checked to see what Bluetooth version the headphones I was having trouble with are, and they are Bluetooth v.1. However, a pair I purchased that DO work without issue are also Bluetooth v.1? I’ve ordered a pair of bone conduction that are Bluetooth v.1. They should be to me by next week. I’ll be sure to post whether I encounter issues or not. Thanks for the theory!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know about the 4.1 theory as my bluetooth headphones skip like crazy with the Ionic and they are 4.1.  Now I will admit these are basic Otium cheap headphones to run and sweat on so it could be the headphones.  I don't have any others to try to compare with. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

my flyers only work when wearing the ionic on my right wrist.

weaaring it on my left one gives constant breakups

Best Answer

This problem seems to be pervasive - but not enough for clear guidance from Fitbit.

The idea that one has to change what wrist the Ionic is worn on, or that the Ionic can't be near other bluetooth, or that it's the GPS that's causing the problem is ridiculous.

When I spend this much money on a product - I DON"T WANT TO SPEND HOURS ON A FORUM!

Fitbit needs to step up and figure this out.

Best Answer

Well there goes my theory (shame - thought I was on to something!!) I'm going to keep trying with as many sets of headphones that I can get access to from friends, plus will also try with another friend's Ionic. But you're right, we shouldn't be having to work this out. FYI - I never have any problem with left or right wrist, or with GPS on or off. My problem is always which headphones I'm using (with both my Ionic and my wife's Versa - both 2 weeks old). 

Best Answer

So I ran this morning and when I started I tried my headphones again - they started cutting out.  So I moved my Ionic to my right wrist and things smoothed out.   After a minute or two of it playing clearly I moved the Ionic back to my left wrist.  From that point on there was an occasional hiccup but nothing like the first couple minutes.  

I really have no idea what is causing this.   

Best Answer
0 Votes
Having great luck with Soundpeats Q34 from Amazon $25. Connects in seconds and connection is always solid no matter if I'm running or walking and with GPS on too. I wear the Ionic on my left wrist. Never has cut out, sounds great.
Ionic, retired Blaze.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone! Smiley Very Happy To answer the main inquiry of this thread. Yes, you just need to make sure the headset supports Bluetooth low energy (4.0).

If you want to connect a Bluetooth audio device to your Fitbit Ionic, check this article for instructions. 

Make sure both, your headphones and Ionic are in pairing mode (for the Ionic: Settings>Bluetooth>+New Device). Also, make sure your headphones aren’t already paired/connected with something else, like your phone if previously paired. 

If keep having difficulties pairing your headsets to your Ionic, here are some steps that also worked for me:

• Turn off your headset
  • Restart your Ionic 
  • On Ionic, Settings>Bluetooth>+New Device
  • Turn headset back on but keep "on" button pressed (have headset in your ear so you can hear if it is connected).  

If your phone is managing multiple Bluetooth connections simultaneously:

• Your Fitbit device might stop syncing or stop receiving notifications.
  • You can experience interruptions with any consistently streaming Bluetooth connection such as headsets, car kits, stereo audio, tethering, and file transfers.

These interruptions are typically caused by operating system and Bluetooth limitations. It's also possible that an app on your phone is causing the issue.

If you have an Android phone, try these steps:

1. Turn off the Always Connected option in the Fitbit app.
  2. Disable other Bluetooth connections when not in use.
  3. Check to see if your phone has an app compatible with Ford Motor Company's voice control system. If so, disable Bluetooth on the app if possible or uninstall it.

The API used in these apps makes it difficult for Fitbit to communicate reliably with your phone. Ford provides a list of apps but note that other companies may use the API as well.

Hope this helps, I'll be around if you need further assistance! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

I don't know that those troubleshooting steps would fix any of the problems listed above.  Mine is choppy during playback if the Ionic is on the opposite side of my body (non-dominant hand) than the Bluetooth headphone receiver.  If I move the Ionic to the dominant hand it streams flawlessly. 

I have tried this with a plantronics headset and an otium headset.  Both do the exact same thing. 

I don't have my phone so that isn't an issue.

Best Answer