Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth classic - no artist info and notifications

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I want music control on my Android (using Spotify), so I turned on Bluetooth Classic.

However, I don't get any artist information. I also don't receive any notifications on my Ionic anymore, even though they are definitely turned on.

Anyone else having this issue? Do notifications not work with Bluetooth Classic? Any fixes?

Best Answer
0 Votes
22 REPLIES 22

@Koenn

Hmm... I'm not using Spotify, but the Google Music app, but everything is working as expected (on my Samsung S8).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner

Are you by any chance connected through regular Bluetooth and Bluetooth Classic at once?

I'm on a Nexus 6, by the way.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Bluetooth Classic is purely for music control. All notifications etc are handled by Bluetooth LE.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner

I had some connection issues with the Bluetooth LE when connected to Classic. Should they be able to be used at the same time?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Koenn wrote:

@SunsetRunner

I had some connection issues with the Bluetooth LE when connected to Classic. Should they be able to be used at the same time?

Yes. The Ionic uses BT LE as its main link to your phone. Classic is only for music

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner

Thanks for the quick answer. I did a factory reset earlier, so I'll see if I can get them to work simultaneously.

For the other issue, of not having artist information displayed, perhaps that is also tied to the same thing? I'll report back after I've tried some things.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner@SunsetRunner

So after a factory reset, I managed to turn on both Bluetooth LE and Classic. However, when Classic was turned on, I no longer received notifications, nor could I see artist information.

However, what I did not manage earlier: I turned Bluetooth Classic off, and I could receive notifications again. So while the main problem still exists, I believe that before I did a factory reset I may have deleted my Bluetooth LE connection as I couldn't get notifications after turning Bluetooth Classic off either.

I will contact costumer support regarding Bluetooth Classic. If there are any other people with the same issue (and perhaps how they fixed it), please let me know!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Koenn

I cannot tell if both were connected. Only Ionic (Classic) registers as a true device on my bluetooth and makes a valid connection (bluetooth symbol with two small arrows). The bluetooth low energy (the one that is always on) acts more like a heart rate sensor... it's always available and talking to the phone but not making a registered connection.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner

Thanks, that looks like the way it is working for me now. After countless restarting of both my phone and the Ionic, it seems that some notifications are getting through, while others are getting through with latency (the Ionic doesn't vibrate but after a couple of minutes they are added to the notifications widget), while Classic is on.

The missing song information is apparently because of Spotify, as it is not working properly with the Ionic yet. This comes from customer support.

Fun tidbit: The Ionic automatically turns on Bluetooth Classic as soon as I swipe up to get to the music widget! That, at least, is convenient. Here's hoping that the notifications and Spotify handle better after a software update.

Best Answer

Good to hear @Koenn

Best Answer
0 Votes
Tested, and verified. It does kick on classic automatically.

Oddly, when I tap Device, it says phone is controlling music, and i can't
change it to Watch, but Fitbit will still control the music.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner

Are you talking about the Device setting when you press the three dots? I believe that setting states the source of the sound, not what is controlling the music. For example, since I don't have music on the watch, the option of "watch" is permanently greyed out.

I did notice that it doesn't turn off Classic when you turn off music, not even after a longer period of time. You have to go into settings to turn it off (to save battery).

Best Answer

@Koenn

Ahh... That makes sense. Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can confiem that I am actually getting the same "no artist info" bug while connected as Bluetooth Classic and Bluetooth LE.

Using galaxy S8 with google play music.

The phone sends a notification that the song changes when you manually change the song, in the notifications window, but not if it eventually proceeds to the next song... however, any time you swipe down/hold the top right button to get to music, it says no artist info available...

The ionic needs another firmware update asap...

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8, using Google Play Music, and I see the artist on the Ionic just fine. Also, it doesn't matter if I am using my own music, or one of their stations. Might want to verify your music actually has the all those properties set (title, artist, etc). And note, Google Play Music has messed up some of my music when I added it to my phone, and a few of my songs do not show any information. Mostly, though, it's fine.

20171130_090058.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi,

If i use only the bluetooth LE connection, songs occasionally show up on
notifications, and with Bluetooth classic the media controls on the phone
work perfectly fine -- no notifications whatsoever though.

With both connected -- bluetooth classic and LE -- i get notifications from
my phone, and i can control music, but it gives the "no artist info"

Works totally fine bluetoothed to my 2014 chevy malibu that can accurately
show artist name, etc. So yeah my music has literally every piece of
metadata possible due to the fact that its downloaded onto my phone from a
google play music subscription.

Cheers
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner

All I can tell you is, at least with the way my phone is set up, I can control Google Play Music (via Ionic (Classic)), I am getting notifications, AND I see the artist name. It is happening right now. I just got a text while listening to music, and I checked to insure that i can still see the artist. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yeah I'll have to try enabling them in different orders or wiping the
pairing again. Maybe mine is just fried lol

Thanks for the proof though -- at least its really a possibility.
Best Answer
0 Votes

FWIW - I usually start Google Music first on the phone, then go into the watch (swipe down, tap three dots, select Device) and that takes control, and the title and artist is then available. 

Best Answer
0 Votes