Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calorie burn and swimming stroke inaccurate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Calorie burn and swimming stroke are inaccurate. If I swim the same distance 3 minutes slower, the calorie burn shows more calories used if I had swam faster for the same distance.  It also shows that I swim backstroke when I haven’t swam that stroke more than 20 yards in four years. 

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

A warm welcome to the Community @CliffSwimmer! I appreciate the details that you've mentioned. I would like you to restart your Ionic and then confirm that you've properly set the swim settings

If after checking the above, you're still seeing inaccurate information. Please provide me with a screenshot of what you're getting. 

Keep me posted. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

There are no adjustments for either issue that I can find.

Moderator edit: Removed personal info

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you @CliffSwimmer! I've shared your post with our Support team, they will continue assisting you on this matter.

I'll be around if you need further assistance. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Calorie burn accuracy is a real issue as I have my Ionic tied to my WW app and it's so far off on calories it's messing with my daily food allowance. I swam 1850 yards (just over mile) in 54 minutes (3"/100) and it showed I only burned 320 calories.

Went to Gentle Yoga where heart rate monitor works, nothing more aggressive than a lot of stretching, and it shows 360 calories! Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calorie burn should be simple-- Yards (which it knows)/ Time (which it knows) and my weight (which it knows). Using this website and putting in the same it comes up with over 600 calories and 3 or 4 other sites using the same 3 data points come between 500-700 so think this is right. 

http://www.swimmingcalculator.com/swim_calories_calculator.php

Is there a way to fix this or do I have to make up a fake exercise and add in the missing calories, essentially rendering the Fitbit as useful as a handbrake on a canoe. Help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's great to see you around @donnaconner. Thanks for the details that you've shared and the swimming calculator that you provided too. 

Is there a way to fix this or do I have to make up a fake exerciseIf there are some inconsistencies in your swim data and it can be caused by any of the following: 

• You completed only a few laps
  • You stopped to rest multiple times or in the middle of the pool
  • You stopped to rest for longer than 60 seconds after completing a pool length
  • You changed your stroke type midway through a length
  • You swam with a kickboard or without using your arms
  • You swam less than the minimum duration needed for your swim to be automatically recognized

Also, I would like you to make sure that you've entered the pool length to have an accurate measurement. You can learn more about it by checking this article: How do I track my swims with my Fitbit device?.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for replying but don't think we've solved the problem:

You completed only a few laps - NOPE, swim 1650 yards
You stopped to rest multiple times or in the middle of the pool-NOPE, only rest :30 every 100 yawards
You stopped to rest for longer than 60 seconds after completing a pool length-NOPE
You changed your stroke type midway through a length-NOPE
You swam with a kickboard or without using your arms-NOPE
You swam less than the minimum duration needed for your swim to be automatically recognized-NOPE
Also, I would like you to make sure that you've entered the pool length to have an accurate measurement-YEP

So why do you show 1650+ in under an hour ( which is high intensitity) as only burning 320 calories/ less than seated Yoga.

used a friends Garmin and it came to 620 calories by triangulating my weight/distance/time.

Solutions pls

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back @donnaconner. I appreciate the time that you took to reply to each question. I've shared your post with our Support team, they will continue assisting you on this matter. 

Best Answer
0 Votes